Park Police- White House

Park Police- White House

I noticed the US Park Police process the protestors that chain themselves to the White House fence or otherwise protest illegally near the WH. Since the WH grounds are maintained by the NPS I understand their jurisdiction but why doesn't the UD handle those arrestees? I know there are some retired UD officers on this board who probably have some stories to tell about protests and the decisions on who would issue the orders to disperse and arrest those who refused to comply---And thank for what you do to maintain the integrity of our government.

Re: Park Police- White House

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaCop
    I noticed the US Park Police process the protestors that chain themselves to the White House fence or otherwise protest illegally near the WH. Since the WH grounds are maintained by the NPS I understand their jurisdiction but why doesn't the UD handle those arrestees? I know there are some retired UD officers on this board who probably have some stories to tell about protests and the decisions on who would issue the orders to disperse and arrest those who refused to comply---And thank for what you do to maintain the integrity of our government.
    The UD of the USSS, formerly the WH police draws it recuits primarily from the US Park Police and/or the Metropolitan Police Dept. of Washington, D. C. The property outside the WH grounds depending on the location are under the jurisdiction of one of those two agencies and they are responsible for handling such problems in those areas. The UD forces primarily operate within the WH grounds for purposes of demonstrations. Their forces would be quickly depleted if they were tasked with handling the arrest of protestors outside the WH grounds.

Back when I worked at the WH the rule was that UD had jurisdiction inside the WH fence, Park Police had jurisdiction from the fence to the curb and the DC police had jurisdiction in the street.

One time a fence jumper got onto the grounds and the UD police deployed on both sides of the fence. He jumped back out onto the sidewalk and encountered a UD officer. The jumper drew a gun and the UD officer shot him. The investigation was conducted by the Park Police because the shooting took place on the sidewalk.

Thank you! I've worked several details with the USSS- you guys are very impressive.