Girl, 14, dies after crash with deputy
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Girl, 14, dies after crash with deputy

By Rachel Hatzipanagos, Sun Sentinel

January 24, 2010

OAKLAND PARK - A 14-year-old girl who was due to have her braces off in two weeks died after a collision with a deputy's patrol car over the weekend.

According to authorities, Broward Sheriff's Office Deputy Frank McCurrie did not have his emergency lights or sirens on as he traveled south on Dixie Highway. His patrol car collided with a Honda Civic heading north and making a left turn at the intersection with Northeast 56th Street.

Passenger Cara Catlin, 14, was killed in the crash. The driver, her stepsister Heather Meyer, 21, and another passenger, Gabriel Alegria, were injured and taken to Broward General Medical Center.

McCurrie was taken to Holy Cross Hospital with minor injuries.

"It's not OK with us that he didn't have his [emergency] lights on," said Catlin's aunt, Edie Bronder, of Port Saint Lucie. "My niece is dead and we are angry about that."

Bronder said Catlin, a freshman at Northeast High School in Oakland Park, and Meyer were on their way to grab something to eat when the crash happened just before 10 p.m. Saturday.

"Had his [emergency] lights been on, she would have never have made that turn," Bronder said.

The Sheriff's Office is investigating the crash. Officials could not say Sunday whether the deputy was responding to a call or off duty at the time.

"That will all come out during the investigation," said Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Dani Moschella.

Broward Sheriff's Office officials said it was not immediately known how fast the two cars were going or which driver may have been at fault.

Witness Jonathan Vaden, 23, said he was riding his bicycle on the sidewalk when he saw the crash. He said Catlin, a friend of his, was thrown from the car and landed under a pickup truck stopped at the intersection.

"I checked her pulse, but...," he said, shaking his head. Vaden gave a statement to investigators.

The collision was so violent that the Honda's back end was torn off and landed several yards away.

Friends left a cross, a teddy bear, and flowers at the crash site Sunday.

Kim Young, a teacher at James S. Rickards Middle School, said Catlin, had been a peer counselor while a student there. As a volunteer, she helped students make the transition to high school.

"She was always willing to help," Young said. "She was an inspiration to everyone."

Students and friends planned a vigil Sunday evening at the beach off Anglins Fishing Pier at Commercial Boulevard and A1A. They would wear purple and white, two of Catlin's favorite colors.

Friends said the outgoing teen loved her television production classes and cheerleading and thought about becoming a nurse.

"She was always so sweet," said classmate Alexis Sanchez, 15. "She didn't deserve this."

Staff writer Sofia Santana contributed to this report. Rachel Hatzipanagos can be reached at

rhatzipanagos@sunsentinel.com or 954-356-4543

Re: Girl, 14, dies after crash with deputy

Tragic all the way around. What time is your deadline?

man thats horrible. condolence to the family. sorry frank. good working with you

Ohhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

I CALLED THE STATE POLICE AND COMPALINED THAT THE BROWARD DEPUTIES THAT LIVE IN PALM BEACH COUNTY DRIVE WELL OVER THE SPEED LIMIT AND NEVER USE THEIR BLINKERS. THE COMMANDER TOLD ME THAT SOMETHING WILL BE DONE ABOUT THIS STARTING TONIGHT. I WILL BE EXPECTING RESULTS OR I WILL BE WRITING MY LAW MAKERS EVERY NIGHT! I WILL BE WRITING DOWN EVERY POLICE UNIT NUMBER AND CONTACTING THEIR INTERNAL AFFAIRS DEPARTMENT AND THE STATE POLICE. GOOD NIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by TIRED OF THIS ATTITUDE
    I CALLED THE STATE POLICE AND COMPALINED THAT THE BROWARD DEPUTIES THAT LIVE IN PALM BEACH COUNTY DRIVE WELL OVER THE SPEED LIMIT AND NEVER USE THEIR BLINKERS. THE COMMANDER TOLD ME THAT SOMETHING WILL BE DONE ABOUT THIS STARTING TONIGHT. I WILL BE EXPECTING RESULTS OR I WILL BE WRITING MY LAW MAKERS EVERY NIGHT! I WILL BE WRITING DOWN EVERY POLICE UNIT NUMBER AND CONTACTING THEIR INTERNAL AFFAIRS DEPARTMENT AND THE STATE POLICE. GOOD NIGHT!

let me know how that pans out for you

Yea, I bet you never speed and ALWAYS use your turn signal.

I don't understand how you could possibly have enough time to read the numbers off a patrol car that is SPEEDING. With all the extra time you seem to have on your hands, watch AMW and solve some crimes.

We don't know how fast the deputy,s car was traveling, and we don't even know if he was on his way to a call or off duty, but what I do know is that the deputy had the right of way and the other car turned in front of him, so all you posters that have already convicted this guy, you are nothing more then low life dirt bag cop haters, probably democrats who voted for Obama need to get the big picture before you jump the gun..my prayers are with both the families of that little girl and the Deputy whom I'm sure doesn't feel very good about it, right or wrong. All in all this whole thing is very tragic and it was an ACCIDENT

I have been saying it for a long time. We do have village idots living among us. Case proven :lol:

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast