dui city

Thread: dui city

dui city

PINELLAS COUNTY (Bay News 9) -- DUI arrests and deaths went in opposite directions in Pinellas County in 2009.

Statistics from the sheriff's office show DUI arrests are down by almost 50 percent this year compared to 2008.

But DUI deaths are close to doubling.

"Unfortunately, . . . there's never been a better time to drive drunk in Pinellas County than right now," said DUI attorney Kevin Hayslett.

But Hayslett also said in the parts of the county served by other law enforcement agencies, DUI arrests are up.
    "There's some bright spots in Pinellas County," he said. "I think Largo PD is having a banner year in DUI arrests."

Pinellas County DUI arrests
    2008 1,355
    2009 712

Fatal DUI crashes
    2007 7
    2008 11
    2009 19

The sheriff's office said those numbers are only from cities they cover under contract. The FHP covers DUI investigations in other parts of the county.

Linda Unfried, who works with MADD in Hillsborough County, (Pinellas County has no MADD chapter) said she's appalled by the DUI statistics.

"Law enforcement is there to serve and protect," Unfried said. "It's missing in Pinellas County at this point and it's very sad and very scary to me."
    More Information

* Watch the storyWatch Video
    * Month-by-month DUI arrests
    * Imbibing? Tips on getting home safely
    * E-mail TV reporter Josh Rojas

Pinellas County sheriff Jim Coats said tough budget cuts forced him to cut his DUI squad earlier this year. That's likely the reason for the drop in DUI arrests.

"I knew this was going to happen," Coats said. "And I kind of talked a little bit about this at one of our budget presentations, that it's one these damned if you do, damned if you don't situations."

Bay News 9 asked Coats if it is more dangerous for people to drive in Pinellas County currently.

"I don't know," Coats said. "I'd have to have the benefit of the crash analysis. We'll be looking at those numbers and we'll be analyzing and we may need to redirect some resources."

Coats said he's been forced to cut $67.7 million from his budget since January. The sheriff also had to cut 383 positions.

Unfried said she wants to see the county put more officers dedicated to DUI enforcement back on the road.

"Pulling them over is saving a life as far as we're concerned," she said. "And we need that right now, especially during the holidays. And I can only appeal to them in Pinellas County to put those law enforcement officers back on the road."

Re: dui city

Don't worry Chris will take care of that when we vote him in Seminole and he contracts Largo to take over Seminole. Largo rules !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Don't worry Chris will take care of that when we vote him in Seminole and he contracts Largo to take over Seminole. Largo rules !!!!
    Largo P.D. could'nt even take over little ole Belleair. You really think Largo could handle Seminole. You guys are afraid to handle what is yours in Baskins. Give it a rest. Your PD is a joke.

I do not even need to know anything else about you to know you sir are a piece of crud. Who goes onto another leo, assuming you ARE a leo, and talks crap about an agency that they know nothing about. The average officer in our agency is a solid officer and someone I trust with my life and case's everyday. You sir are a true classless idiot. And as for Baskins and high point, give it to us we will take it and you can lose even more of your already minimal budget. If you have a problem with the agency then post your badge number and let us look under your probably "wonderful" reputation.

You guys take Seminole LMFAO. Largo is clown shoes!

Dear 31b

you r right largo is horrible. 12% raise over 4 yrs and four ten hr shifts with sat sun mon off just royally sucks plus all the OT I can get. I wish I could work for a progressive agency like pcso and work 5 8's With tue wed off and wear long sleave shirts in Florida And no raises for how many years now. Buh bye now

Quote Originally Posted by Guest111
    Dear 31b

you r right largo is horrible. 12% raise over 4 yrs and four ten hr shifts with sat sun mon off just royally sucks plus all the OT I can get. I wish I could work for a progressive agency like pcso and work 5 8's With tue wed off and wear long sleave shirts in Florida And no raises for how many years now. Buh bye now
    LOL! I'll bet your reports are a howl to read. Remember 12% raise is 3% a year for four years and on a low salary is still nothing.....

Oh, yeah, its :sleeve"

Goof.

Maybe you would feel better if you had your head kicked in?

It's actually 12% over 3 yrs....next raise is oct 1st. When r u getting a raise??