Why was Mark Flanagan arrested??
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Why was Mark Flanagan arrested??

From http://www.bradenton.com

Former state representative arrested for resisting

By BETH BURGER - bburger@bradenton.com

MANATEE — A former state representative was arrested this week after he reportedly refused to tell Manatee County Sheriff’s Office deputies where his son was after a hit-and-run crash, according to an arrest report.

Mark G. Flanagan, a former Republican state representative, was arrested on a charge of resisting without violence Monday at his residence in the 1300 block of 91st Street Court Northwest.

A deputy went to Flanagan’s home Monday to find Flanagan’s son, Kevin, whose cell phone was found at the scene of a hit-and-run crash on Sunday next to a crashed vehicle, according to the report.
    Flanagan told the deputy he knew where his son was, but refused to tell the deputy where.

Flanagan told the deputy to leave a business card, according to the report.

“I told him that currently his son was not in trouble but that if he did not tell me where his son was he would be placed under arrest for resisting,” the report states.

After Flanagan refused to cooperate, the deputy began to arrest him. Flanagan refused to place his hands behind his back and began screaming for his wife to help him.

The deputy had to take Flanagan to the ground, according to the report.

Flanagan bonded out on a $750 cash bond Monday.

Re: Why was Mark Flanagan arrested??

Because the Deputy did not understand the requirements of the charge (ie: engaged in a lawful duty such as making an arrest or serving a warrant,) and the fact that citizens have a legal right not to talk to Law Enforcement Officers.

The Deputy made the same mistake many have made. It is publicized more when you make a mistake on a high profile citizen because the press jumps all over it.

Give him remedial training and move on. The county has a fund to pay lawsuits when these things happen.

Quote Originally Posted by MisUnderstood Law
    Because the Deputy did not understand the requirements of the charge (ie: engaged in a lawful duty such as making an arrest or serving a warrant,) and the fact that citizens have a legal right not to talk to Law Enforcement Officers.

The Deputy made the same mistake many have made. It is publicized more when you make a mistake on a high profile citizen because the press jumps all over it.

Give him remedial training and move on. The county has a fund to pay lawsuits when these things happen.

The only thing misunderstood is this post! Flanagan OBSTRUCTED this Deputy's in progress investigation and was arrested!

843.02 Resisting officer without violence to his or her person.--Whoever shall resist, obstruct, or oppose any officer as defined in s. 943.10(1), (2), (3), (6), (7), (8), or (9); member of the Parole Commission or any administrative aide or supervisor employed by the commission; county probation officer; parole and probation supervisor; personnel or representative of the Department of Law Enforcement; or other person legally authorized to execute process in the execution of legal process or in the lawful execution of any legal duty, without offering or doing violence to the person of the officer, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083

if it was a good bust why is there an investigation and he is reassigned?

see how many more try it now.

Dep LH has had many issues while in the Traffic unit. He consistently has made arrests where no PC existed. He has done his SFST's improperly,and even after is remedial training. He has brought so much grief to the unit that all the guys are paying the price in ways that are unimaginable. Some of them are even called into the SAO office to review LH's cases. This should not be happening. Others should not have to second guess each other, but that is what it has come to. He has had more declines, and reduced to reckless cases that anyone I have ever seen. He will not listen to the more experienced deputies, because, in his mind, he is "right". Flanagan's arrest is just another example of his incompetence. He should have at least asked his Supv, or another experienced traffic dep for advice, but that isn't Lee. He had no lawful basis to arrest Flanagan, because Flanagan had no obligation to tell him where his son was, especially since LH had told him that his son was not a suspect.
    Flanagan's boys are certainly not angels, just ask the W60 units that have dealt with them, but Dad does not have to assist us.
    I for one, am glad LH is at the farm, and hopefully a motivated, competent replacement will be assigned soon. LH has been a thorn in the side for so long, and it's about time something is done, it's just sad that it came to this, now MCSO will surely be sued, and a nice payout will be made. The writing has been on the wall, but it took way too long for someone to read it.

"in the execution of legal process or in the lawful execution of any legal duty"........,means you have to be Making an arrest, executing a warrant or investigating a specific crime in which the party you are going to arrest is the subject involved in the crime. You cannot arrest relatives, witnesses, or bystanders because they don't want to talk to you. If you've been a cop more than a year, you should understand this. It is not that hard. "Contempt of Cop" is not a valid charge. If you can't understand that you should not be doing this kind of work.

Totally correct, LH was just angered by that. He was told no, and knowing him, I'm sure that didn't sit well. Good riddance. Hve a nice time slopping the pigs while you're at the farm, at least until you see the light and resign.

LH had no supervisor to go to for advice, Fieber is a waste of a deputy, all he cares about is getting milk for the wife while he is on duty, and visit baskin robbins about 4 or 5 times per shift, and lets not forget the 2 hour 1040,s he takes everyday.

Now Paulie, you know you should not let your son and friends use your company auto for personal reasons, ohhhh nooooo are they doing that again? bad you boys bad.
    At least he is not out running calls with it when I saw them. Take the spare key, Dad

I find it very sad that the Deputy, right or wrong, bad or good, is being convicted prior to trial. I can understand this mentality coming from the public as "thats the way its done on tv".
    But for this Deputy to be ridiculed, humiliated, badgered, and mamed by his fellow deputies appears to be canilbism.
    You arrest dirt bags and they are entitled to bond, free attorney, and a fair hearing the whole time and are innocent until the Judge rules or the clerk reads the jury's verdict.
    This guy may be totally wrong, but for God's sake, lets allow the tribunal to hear the case.
    Just for the record, I know Mark Flanagan and it is of my opinion he is very sarcastic, a womanizer, and several allegations have been voiced in the past about some alcohol abuse. His wife Donna has always stood beside Mark, bad or good, she is a wonderful woman.
    I wonder under the present circumstances, was Marks behavior of "I am not gonna tell" utilized while he was a represenitive.
    What else did he hide to the house, the governor, his wife and the people of this great state. Its sad to think!
    If in fact the Deputy is wrong by all means punish him, if he survives the torture.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast