problem employee
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

problem employee

I have a question for the new chief. i have been at the department for a little over 4 years and ever since i have been there, there is this one officer that never comes to work. she is always sick or something so bad that it is a joke. an actual joke how much time she takes off or how often she comes to work. the major, captain and lt know it, every sgt knows it, every employee knows it. its wednesday and she has already called out twice this week. here is the question, is the new chief going to do something about this employee. she was given a s.r.o. position so she would not have to be depended on for manpower on the road. even now she still calls out sick ALL the time, she has no sick leave time and no annaul time so she takes time off without pay, can't something be done. maybe other hard working employees would like to be an sro and she is just wasting a position. she is filling a sworn position that we could fill with some new hire that may actually come to work.

Re: problem employee

darned good question

Theres the serve......waiting for the return.

This isn't the place to air our dirty laundry. We don't need to keep going after each other on here.

Normally I would agree about your "dirty laundry" but this a very interesting topic. This has been an ongoing issue that has been acknowledged by the bosses for years however nothing has been done? The original poster has some very good questions that deserve an answer. With your department having serious manpower issues and a climbing crime rate, I would think you need every Officer to at least show up and help. One would wonder why this has been overlooked for so long? Hmmm, something smells here.

This is a huge problem..... Isn't there a policy in the City of Bartow Handbook that if you use all your sick days and vacation days and you continuely call in and and have unpaid days that this would be considered excessive absentism and grounds for dismissal.

The Problem here is that the officers and Chain of Command have been dealing with her "Tony Days" for a couple of years now, and when the supervisors go to the "Upper Chain of Command" they are ignored or told that She has "Lawyers"... She will file Grievances for Harrassement or Sexual Harrassement. Whose the Boss here? Seems like the Striped boys in the Air conditioned offices need to cut the T-Back Strings and Boot her Ass out the door. If she needs that many days off well, give her permanant days off!

How fair is this for the other officers that come to work and do their job and cover her shift too. Last time I checked the officers at BPD are down in numbers on Road Officers and it does not look any better for you guys in the next years to come. Someone needs to grow a pair, put on your jock strap and stop being led by intimidation of this Lazy Ass and Say.. "Your Fired"...

You've been here before. An employee uses up all of his vacation and sick days in the first six months of the year and then still needs additional time off. Do you have to continue giving him or her the leave? At what point do the absences become excessive and trigger disciplinary action?

Accordingly, the best way to manage absenteeism is to focus on the individual problem employee and then follow a progressive discipline program.

1. First offense - written counseling and warning that continued excessive absenteeism will lead to subsequent disciplinary action.
    2. Second offense - written counseling session and warning that continued excessive absenteeism will lead to termination.
    3. Third offense - termination."

For example, your supervisors should put the problem employee on notice, provide counseling about improving attendance, and document the warnings and steps taken.

Then, if the absenteeism continues, you are in a strong position to take needed corrective action to discipline, or even terminate, according to your normal policies.

When an officer straps on that sidearm and walks outside their home each morning, or evening, depending on their shift — their wives and their husbands know that when their loved one walks out that door, they are literally putting themselves in harm’s way every time they walk out that door. Absenteeism can create a even greater risk for these officers to be in harm's way.

Indeed, absenteeism can create problems in several different respects.

* Lost productivity of the absent employee.
    * Overtime for other officers to fill in.
    * Decreased overall productivity of other officers.
    * Any temporary help costs incurred.
    * Possible loss of another officer because of low manpower.
    * Problems with employee morale.

I agree w/the above poster. But the thing is that first we would have to have a few guys inthe ufppe5r office area or even sgts that are willing to step up and do their job. This has been going on way before they were ever in sro. they have been this way since the start. they have worked for a variety of sgts and each and every one are scared to do anything. why is tha i wonder. this employee is doing stuff they know they can get away with. so its not really their fault. it is the fault of each and every supervisor they have worked for and each and every upper area person becasue each and everyone of them know it has been going on.

Does anyone here know for a fact that she has brought up lawyers or filing some sort of harrassement charge before? She is in my opinion a waste of space and money and has no business working for this agency or any other. I say let her file for unemployment if she wants to file something. She doesn't care about this job and uses the uniform as an excuse to get someone to look at her just like she did with her "Edited".

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering
    Does anyone here know for a fact that she has brought up lawyers or filing some sort of harrassement charge before? She is in my opinion a waste of space and money and has no business working for this agency or any other. I say let her file for unemployment if she wants to file something. She doesn't care about this job and uses the uniform as an excuse to get someone to look at her just like she did with her "Edited".
    Just because someone says' lawyer doesn't mean your knees should buckle and knock.... If the employees behavior justifies discipline, including termination, go for it. Bad behavior is a direct result of weak administration. It destroys morale and actually hurts any good employee. The administration needs to document, counsel and then proceed with whatever steps scary to get compliance from the employee. This is what happens after years of sweeping things under the rug. The HR director and CM need to address this, after all it has been here longer then the Chief. If nothing comes of this, everyone needs to carefully monitor the situation and use it if you're ever in the trick bag, it is called selective discipline..........

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast