Council Candidates
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Council Candidates

:?: Any useful FACTS that the public should know about the retired SPPD officer Smith who is running for City Council in the South Side? His 2 opponents are current government employees with no appropriate experience either. Information regarding his ability to serve the citizens would be useful as his info card received in the mail is basically a blank page. :?:

This post is not designed to "boil the pot," just to get appropriate background information on Smith that would help determine if he is qualified to be on City Council.

:cop:

Re: Council Candidates

As a politician, I can't give an opinion, as he has no experience. But as an officer, he served as a CPO for a number of years, so he has a lot of experience in serving constiutients. He worked diligently to serve the citizens within his area. I do not remember him having a complainat of bad service to anyone.

I am not sure as to what position Joe is looking to get elected, but he will serve the citizens well if he is as diligent in the elected position as he was as an officer.

The guy is straight as an arrow, squeaky clean. My only regret is he isn't in the area where I live. He's one of those guys you don't want to always want to hang out with but when it comes time to be needing something done right, he's the man for the job.

Its about time the City counsel gets a stright up guy. There is nothing bad that can be said about Joe Smith. He is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. I have never heard one bad thing about him and I beleive he has an unblemished carrear at SPPD. And if you know that place, then you know how difficult a feat like that is. We need to pray that he wins.

I'm surprised you don't feel that having no experience as a politician is a good thing. I am personally sick and tired of politicians. I'd rather elect a leader who is first and foremost a good and responsible citizen and will do the right thing for his constituents rather than doing the right thing for his political gain like all the other politicians. I have full confidence in Joe. He's spent 25 years doing the right thing for the people he's served.

This seat is open because incumbent Jamie Bennett is running for mayor. All three candidates for the southernmost St. Petersburg district — Steve Kornell, Angela Rouson and Joe Smith — offer commendable records of public service. But Kornell stands above the rest for his thoughtful and well-researched positions on issues facing the city.

A St. Petersburg native, Kornell, 43, has spent his professional career amid the city's youth, first as a city recreation manager and now as a social worker in the Pinellas County schools. He sees politics as the natural progression of his career, so that he can help implement sound, long-term policies that will improve people's lives, particularly children's. A former manager of Childs Park Recreation Center, he advocates the city and schools work together to provide intervention in at-risk children's lives before they can turn to crime. In his current job, he works to keep at-risk children in school and occasionally helps families at risk of homelessness access resources to keep a roof over their heads.

Kornell does not claim government spending will solve all problems, and he advocates maintaining much of the city's existing reserves for hurricanes and other emergencies. He is dubious about whether the city needs more police officers or just a return to some community-based policing policy. He wants to find a plan for the Pier that will eliminate the city's $1.5 million annual operating subsidy. And while he isn't opposed to a new Tampa Bay Rays stadium, he says he does not want to increase the city's annual debt payments.

Rouson, 42, a member of the Pinellas County Housing Authority, and Smith, 48, a retired St. Petersburg police officer, also have records of civic engagement, including Smith's notable service for years as a youth coach and as an administrator of Eckerd College's National Youth Sports Program. But neither are as succinct or well-versed on the issues as Kornell. In District 5, the Times recommends Steve Kornell.

Joe Smith has spent his professional career serving ALL the Citizens of St Petersburg.

Enough with Kornell's BS as a city recreation manager and now as a social worker for the Pinellas County .

Where was Kornell during the hurricanes of the past?
    Where was Kornell when the $hit hit the fan in Midtown ?

Me thinks Kornell went home and took care of himself.

"He sees politics as the natural progression of his career.
    "He's looking out for himself.....

...occasionally helping homeless families ... while JOE SMITH has been at the heart of the matter for 25 + years.

Kornell advocates maintaining much of the city's existing reserves for hurricanes and other emergencies. He is dubious about whether the city needs more police officers ... because he doesn't know what is happenning in St Pete ... He's concerned about the County and HIS OWN FUTURE.....

If you want an honest hard working man who cares about his neighborhood and this CIty Joe Smith is your man. I have worked around him for years and he is the real deal and would be a breath of fresh air in City Hall.

Re: guest 111 post

I'm totally amazed guest 111
    Funny how your post exactly mirrored the St Pete Times Opinion page today :
    Times recommends ~ For a better City Council ~

Word for word !!

It was taken directly from the Times genius. The headline and credits did not transfer over to the post. Let me guess....... You must be a detective.........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast