Stay positive

Thread: Stay positive

Stay positive

Hi everyone, while I think this forum is a great place to interact and post anonymously, we should still stay professional. I mean we should not single out certain officers or civilian employees.

In these tough economic times, we should work together and share ideas that will not only keep jobs, but retain high morale and pride. We are all lucky to be employed, look what happened to 76 sworn deputies in Broward- they are unemployed! (That is equivalent to 2.5 LPD's!)

The national economy and local housing market will rebound and will all forget about these periods with no raises or COLAS. So let's all stay positive, and work through this together. :cop:

Re: Stay positive

"Clue Collector" is not entirely clueless.

He (I merely assume the gender) does not see the situation in the same light as so many others.

What Clue Collector needs is a reality check.

Any police department anywhere is always going to have issues with individuals. Police Officers are almost all in the classic Type A personality group. This means they are aggressive, action-oriented, andrenalin-junkie types whose main focus has far more to do with red and blue lights and sirens than it has to do with helping an old lady across the street.

What we have here....is a failure to communicate (name that movie!). Lets break it down into a logical argument.

We'll start with the Chief. I think most or all of us would agree that he is a logical man and that he performs his duties in an expeditious, ethical, efficient and logical manner. If we compare his "administration" to that of the prevous chiefs, we will all agree that a number of very important changes have occurred. If we look further, we can see that many, if not most, of these changes were for the good and were permanent.

Now, keep that in mind while we consider the case of someone that we'll refer to as "N B". Now this "NB" , to the eye of the patrol officer, does not seem to be much of a valuable asset. He seems to flit about aimlessly, with no real purpose in life, merely popping in from time to time and coming up on the radio where he is routinely ignored and deemed to be something o a gnat.

How is it possible that the Chief (logical, expeditious, efficient, ethical) would put up with the nonsense described above.
    Of course, it makes no sense. And the only real explanation is that NB has the Chief and others convinced that he is a valuable asset of some sort. We cannot believe the Chief is insane, and we certainly would not dare to impeach his integrity or insult his intelligence, so we must conclude that something is missing.

Here it is- The Perception IS WRONG. NB must actually be doing something of value on a regular basis that contributes to the well-being of the department. There is no other logical answer.

So what about the problem, then? The problem remains, and exists, due to poor management and non-existent communications. Imagine how diferent things would have been from the beginning if NB had been given a specififc set of instructions, a proper chain of command for reporting and supervision, and title and function that befit his particular skill and the duties he performs.

Still not convinced: What about a fellow named Jim Eddy. He is a Lantana Officer assigned to the PBSO VCTF. He is not on the road, BUT he has a chain of command, a title and function, and is responsible to certain persons for his performance. No one complains about him. Why? Not because he does a good job. Because in his case there is SUPERVISION. When it is done properly, SUPERVISION is a good thing.

Supervisory lesson: Even where the perception of unfairness exists, morale will be affected.

Here in LANTANA WORLD, however, we seem to have our own way to supervise. Does anyone deny that there are two senior supervisors who, to put it mildly, dont get along too well? What about sergeants? Every six months we have a shift bid which is, in reality, a popularity contest. I dare anyone to tell me these things are false.

What we really need to do is to communicate our mutual positions and have an open-minded management address them in an equitable, ethical manner. And we need consistency. Time and time again we have had a new policy or procedure or whatever come out to address a problem and BANG five weeks go by and it is all gone and forgotten. Ask any veteran road patrol officer and he will be glad to give you dozens of examples of the 5 week rule.

My point here, Clue Collector, is that professionalism is not a one-sided coin. In order for those on the bottom to be professional, those on the top need to be so FIRST.

Rhino,
    I agree with your logic and you make a valid point. However, I DO see it the same as the majority, I am just not expressing it on this forum. I have expressed a concern in the past and was reprimanded.

To change the subject, I heard we are getting a K-9 unit! Add this rumor to colbe going to San Fran...

8) = KY

Collector,
    Sorry to hear about the reprimand. I have a nice thick folder as well.

Rumors I have recently heard:

Kenny is giving up smoking.

Boyer is coming back full-time in Sept.

Fred is going to the Academy in August.

********* are already secretly married.

*************. is having colon surgery.

************ was just fitted for a new vest and he asked if it was available in chartreuse.

Chris is going to D Bureau to replace Todd, who will be coming on the road in late July. This will only be
    for the summer, at which time Officer NB will be removed from School Patrol. The reasons for these switches are unknown.

The Russian Cop will be travelling back home to Moscow soon. He is taking advance orders for Vodka.

The damage done to the fender of the new Dodge was done in training, its just that no one noticed it then.

TS is taking ballet lessons in order to fall more gracefully.

When Shackman returns from vacation, he will refuse to act as OIC any longer, and will go back to his 4-10 shift.

A certain male officer secretly wears his girlfriends Victoria Secret panties to work under his BDU pants.

********* is a butthead. That is not a rumor.

very entertaining post rhino :cop:

RHiNo

First I would like to thank you for your professional oppions on this site.

I would HOPE that some of your oppinions will be hEARD by This AddmInIstratIOn.

AS all of Us awAre there are sEveral issues that need To be heard............. but WAiT you are 100% corrEct that one of those issueS WONT be HeaRd beCause, yes it inVOLVEs "N B".

i am simply and WilL always be Amazed HoW this Officer.............wait dont want to give that much CREdit to HIm.....PersoN
    CaN have a meetIng every day of thE week. can not and does not have any type of chain of command, ONLY ANSWERS to The Chief of POLicE and out right Refuses to ASSist road patrol ...........and recently DIRicted AS such BY A.R.

YES i know to road PATROL its LIke beating a dead HOrse. WHEN it is QUEStionED the response from our so called LEaders (sgt) are and have been FORCed and are directed to act like littLe cHildren of the Road Patrol CapTain,

ITS SOMETHING THAT DOESNT CONCEARN YOU, drop it and dont QuestioN it again or I will send You To time oUT.

"percePtioN is realITY"

rumour.............. *******............ elected Officer OF the quartEr , nominated himself and takes CrediT for it

"GO FISH"

Quote Originally Posted by rhino695
    "Clue Collector" is not entirely clueless

He (I merely assume the gender) does not see the situation in the same light as so many others.

What Clue Collector needs is a reality check.

Any police department anywhere is always going to have issues with individuals. Police Officers are almost all in the classic Type A personality group. This means they are aggressive, action-oriented, andrenalin-junkie types whose main focus has far more to do with red and blue lights and sirens than it has to do with helping an old lady across the street.

What we have here....is a failure to communicate (name that movie!). Lets break it down into a logical argument.

We'll start with the Chief. I think most or all of us would agree that he is a logical man and that he performs his duties in an expeditious, ethical, efficient and logical manner. If we compare his "administration" to that of the prevous chiefs, we will all agree that a number of very important changes have occurred. If we look further, we can see that many, if not most, of these changes were for the good and were permanent.

Now, keep that in mind while we consider the case of someone that we'll refer to as "N B". Now this "NB" , to the eye of the patrol officer, does not seem to be much of a valuable asset. He seems to flit about aimlessly, with no real purpose in life, merely popping in from time to time and coming up on the radio where he is routinely ignored and deemed to be something o a gnat.

How is it possible that the Chief (logical, expeditious, efficient, ethical) would put up with the nonsense described above.
    Of course, it makes no sense. And the only real explanation is that NB has the Chief and others convinced that he is a valuable asset of some sort. We cannot believe the Chief is insane, and we certainly would not dare to impeach his integrity or insult his intelligence, so we must conclude that something is missing.

Here it is- The Perception IS WRONG. NB must actually be doing something of value on a regular basis that contributes to the well-being of the department. There is no other logical answer.

So what about the problem, then? The problem remains, and exists, due to poor management and non-existent communications. Imagine how diferent things would have been from the beginning if NB had been given a specififc set of instructions, a proper chain of command for reporting and supervision, and title and function that befit his particular skill and the duties he performs.

Still not convinced: What about a fellow named Jim Eddy. He is a Lantana Officer assigned to the PBSO VCTF. He is not on the road, BUT he has a chain of command, a title and function, and is responsible to certain persons for his performance. No one complains about him. Why? Not because he does a good job. Because in his case there is SUPERVISION. When it is done properly, SUPERVISION is a good thing.

Supervisory lesson: Even where the perception of unfairness exists, morale will be affected.

Here in LANTANA WORLD, however, we seem to have our own way to supervise. Does anyone deny that there are two senior supervisors who, to put it mildly, dont get along too well? What about sergeants? Every six months we have a shift bid which is, in reality, a popularity contest. I dare anyone to tell me these things are false.

What we really need to do is to communicate our mutual positions and have an open-minded management address them in an equitable, ethical manner. And we need consistency. Time and time again we have had a new policy or procedure or whatever come out to address a problem and BANG five weeks go by and it is all gone and forgotten. Ask any veteran road patrol officer and he will be glad to give you dozens of examples of the 5 week rule.

My point here, Clue Collector, is that professionalism is not a one-sided coin. In order for those on the bottom to be professional, those on the top need to be so FIRST.

Sillypuddy is learning how to spell...this is just my "oppion". Go Jets