What handguns can be carried on duty?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What handguns can be carried on duty?

I am just wondering how strict the VCSO is on which handguns officers carry. I dont plan on applying for a police job for about 2 years but I want to get a handgun to start practicing.

My first choice would be a 1911, such as a Springfield TRP Operator. Are you allowed to carry a 1911 ****ed and locked?

2nd would be either an H&K HK45C or Sig P220 SAO, last resort would be a Glock 21SF. As you can tell I'm a fan of the .45 round.

Re: What handguns can be carried on duty?

Also, are you issued a shotgun and an AR-15/rifle or just a shotgun?

Noone can tell me? I guess its understandable for safety reasons, but if anyone knows if 1911's are okay let me know.

NO!!!!!

Is that a no as in you cant tell me or no you cant use them? Like I said, I want to get whichever handgun I will use on duty so I can practice and become proficient.

No as in you can't use them. The only firearm that can be carried as duty weapon is the glock 35 (issued). You can carry the 45 for a back-up or off duty weapon. Save your money for after you go to work here, you;ll need it then.

Wow thats kind of disappointing, only Glock 35's? Youd think they'd want officers that have to service a large area of land and sometimes not have backup for a while to be comfortable with/choose what they carry.

Thanks for the info though.

Is the pay really that bad? I have been trying to research as much as I can on here, but its kind of difficult without talking to someone who has been through it all. My parents keep saying that going to a PD or SO straight after getting my BA it Stetson is a waste (as far as pay), I hope thats not true. At the very least I will enjoy the job (I've done ride alongs and know a lot of officers from when I lived in NJ).

Less than $30K a year without overtime.

Quote Originally Posted by ruserious
    Less than $30K a year without overtime.
    Well then quit if its so danm bad you ingrate sunuvabit*ch!

Wow really? I thought it was closer to $40k, as thats what Ive heard people talking about. :shock:

Doesnt seem like enough to start my own life on.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast