Calling Off Pursuits

Calling Off Pursuits

I realize that supevisors are under the microscope for a questionable pursuit some weeks back when a citizen was injured during a pursuit, but there is a big difference between Saturday night at 7 pm in front of Brandon Town Center compared to 3 am in the morning. The sheriff never intended for every pursuit to be called off, he asked for supervisors to use some common sense and now they have taken it to the extreme. When a dirt bag tries to ram a patrol car and the supervisor gets on and calls it off in the middle of the night with no citizens on the road then common sense isnt being used. Again, this was not the Sheriff's intent when he had the meeting with the supervisors a few weeks back. Be safe my brothers.

Re: Calling Off Pursuits

I once saw a supervisor call off a pursuit before the pursuit actually began. The car involved was being followed by a citizen with a cell phone who was talking to dispatch giving the cars location.

The helicopter spotted the car driving at low speed in a residential area. The car stopped and a subject took something out of the car and hid it in the bushes. The call involved a theft. The LEOs in the 'copter saw this. Patrol cars were within a quarter mile of arriving on the scene --- and the supervisor directed that the so-called chase be called off before a marked unit even came in sight of the car .

Incredible!

What I forgot to mention is on the same night a d2 deputy was agg battered by a vehicle and the pursuit continued, yet in d3 the bad guy tried to ram a patrol car and the supervisor called it off. Not a stolen vehicle but an agg assault on a leo. Amazing, kinda tells you what your worth in this job. Oh and before the moaners start with citizen endangered syndrome, it was 330 in the am and not a single car on the road, six deputies on the guys tail. Sad, again they have totally distorted what the Sheriff's intent was in the meeting about using common sense on pursuits. It seems to be the same supervisors that constantly do this, guess their own self preservation is more important than the scum bag that tried to hurt one of us.

This same moron called off a pursuit a few years back when a guy who intentionally rammed a Fhp officer on a fri nite, then one our Deputies the following night. The next day the bad guy tried it on a Pinellas deputy and they shot the guy. Oh by the way, it was also 0330 hrs on clear roads and the guy was in a box type truck. I think Norato means complete idiot in espanol!

Get your facts straight guys...

It is NOT ok to initiate a pursuit at any time of the day or night unless your street crimes or star... if your one of those untrained road deputy's...forget about it.

What up with all the pursuits all of a sudden? They just had another one today in Brandon. Guy stabs Walmart loss prevention officer during a shoplift turned robbery and detective spots him minutes later hauling butt on SR60. This was at 12 noon and did not get called off, although the detective did good job calling it and involved a violent felony.

The lt, and two sergeants need to start taking a more active role when these pursuits kick off. Not sure why ever time one occurs they allow him to call the shots, especially since he just a corporal.

The best part is after it starts and everyone knows what the charges are, like in Brandon, armed robbery, the Lt wakes up at his desk and first question asked is, drum roll please,,,,,,,,,,,,,,what are the charges?? If you paid attention to what was going on you wouldn't have to ask. I gues that's why they are supervisors!! I was actually waiting for that one to get called off myself!! :devil: