New Jail Property Policy

New Jail Property Policy

What's up with new jail policy on inmate property taken during intake? Basically I read that there is no more room to store large amounts of stuff for inmates - as in an indigent arrestee who goes to jail with all his worldly belongings.

Apparently, they will still take all of his stuff if its an SSO arrest, but PDs are out of luck. So, now PD officers have to make a second trip to their property department to store the bum's stuff there. What a pain. First it was the jail nurse who inspects every inmate at intake - and is very quick to turn them away, and now its going to be the C.O. turning property away. I find it hard to believe that the jail can't use one of those old cell blocks in the west wing for extra storage. Sounds to me like a grumpy jail property officer got tired of handling a lot of stuff and passed the buck. And, the Major listened without thinking about the repercussions.

I also read that NO knives of any kind will be accepted now. I assume this means SSO arrests as well. So, now I have to move my car out of the crowded salley port at the jail, go find a place to park on Ringling, fill out a property receipt, and bag and tag a swiss army knife that my arrestee has. Then, he has to contact property upon his release and cause them more headache? Way to streamline the system Major. Unbelievable!!!!

Post Re: New Jail Property Policy

I find it hard to believe that the jail can't use one of those old cell blocks in the west wing for extra storage. Sounds to me like a grumpy jail property officer got tired of handling a lot of stuff and passed the buck.

You are 10000% correct!!! Less work more time to sleep!!!!! :roll:

Re: New Jail Property Policy

Post deleted. TOU violation.

Think about it guys. When you X15 some guy who has all his belongings in a shopping cart....it does not belong in the jail. Or somebody who has a weapon, pocket knife, leatherman or whatever, it does not belong in the jail at all. Jail property should be for what they have on their backs, not everything in their back pack. I agree with the policy change even if I have to make a stop at property. Besides, you have to go to the station or office to turn in your X44 anyway. Whats the big deal?

Finally getting on board with all the other Jails in the state. It is about time.

Lightbulb Re: New Jail Property Policy

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    What's up with new jail policy on inmate property taken during intake? Basically I read that there is no more room to store large amounts of stuff for inmates - as in an indigent arrestee who goes to jail with all his worldly belongings.

Apparently, they will still take all of his stuff if its an SSO arrest, but PDs are out of luck. So, now PD officers have to make a second trip to their property department to store the bum's stuff there. What a pain. First it was the jail nurse who inspects every inmate at intake - and is very quick to turn them away, and now its going to be the C.O. turning property away. I find it hard to believe that the jail can't use one of those old cell blocks in the west wing for extra storage. Sounds to me like a grumpy jail property officer got tired of handling a lot of stuff and passed the buck. And, the Major listened without thinking about the repercussions.

I also read that NO knives of any kind will be accepted now. I assume this means SSO arrests as well. So, now I have to move my car out of the crowded salley port at the jail, go find a place to park on Ringling, fill out a property receipt, and bag and tag a swiss army knife that my arrestee has. Then, he has to contact property upon his release and cause them more headache? Way to streamline the system Major. Unbelievable!!!!
    BOO HOO such a whinner. Hows this for size stop arresting the bums with the open container and the trespass. Poor their booze and send them on the way. I know they may seem easy targets for your tazer but come on. The way I read this is that you and your property people are too lazy to do the extra work. Our SSO guys have to bag and tag the sharps and put into 2071 prop. I have heard no complaints. Also you probably dont know this But the jail is kinda full. I know hard to believe but it is. MAybe we can scratch each others backs. Less bums arrested for petty violations and well take care of some of the bug infested bags they have when they commit a real crime. :mrgreen: :evil:

Its great I can now get all of my families gifts from property. They come in with 100.00 they go home with 50.00. Ahhhh its good to be a Turn Key. :evil: :evil: