NPD HAS NO COMPASSION!

NPD HAS NO COMPASSION!

I always support the police but lately I just don't know what happened to all of the nice cops. It seems as though there is too amny young cops with an attitude. It is not about weighing the facts and making a judgement that will beneifit both sides (Civillian vs legal) it is all about exercising your authority with little regard with what your actions may do to others.

This is all about issueng a citation instead of a warning. Yes I know it is the officer's descretion but what I am saying is that too few officers at NPD use any descretion!

A vehicle makes a U-Turn at an intersection where the sign is not easily seeable due to the size of that intersection and there was NO traffic coming so the driver actions did not cause harm or concern. The driver has a spotless record but the driver is out of work and has a family to care for (Just as many who are forced to travel on city of Naples roadways).

A simple WARNING to remind the driver to pay attention or risk having to pay a fine that could easily be money used to feed the kids or stay caught up on rent would have had a bigger affect. That warning would have made a BIG difference in that driver's life and instead of exercising your authority you would have exercised good judgement and made a long lasting positive impression on a long time supporter.

It takes an officer who is secure among himself to be confident enough to not always exercise your full authority and to take a lesser action. Reason, confidence and a little common sense will go a long way being a COP.

Just because you can does not mean you have to!

Re: NPD HAS NO COMPASSION!

You are right, the police now a days isolate themselves from the public they protect. Not like years gone by where the beat cop new everyone. Sad how times have changed.
    As small an area Naples is the all act like Rambo on a mission. No people skills what so ever.

Re: NPD HAS NO COMPASSION!

That is a very one sided opinion from someone who obviously does not have much contact with Officers on a regular basis. I have come in contact with these Officers on a regular basis and have to say that I have never had complaints. The many Officers I have come into contact with remind me very much of the beat cops of the old days and are always willing to talk and help. Perhaps if you would pay more attention to the signage while driving you would not have a problem. Having spoken with several Officers regarding traffic enforcement, the reason they watch certain intersections and signage more then others is because of accidents and such that have previously happend there, or citizen complains asking them to be more vigilant in those areas. I understand you have obviously not had pleasant interactions with NPD but please realize that there are many factors that go into their decisions they make.

Unregistered

so true

I know how you feel i got one too