Reserve officer caught stealing at t40 - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Reserve officer caught stealing at t40

Its about time the PBA steps in.

Isn't there already a policy that states full time will have preference when signing up for OD??

Bottom line, MOST reserves are here for the money, period. This IS FACT.

I feel sorry for the reserves who are here to learn the job and try to make a career of this. Hang in there.

For the old geezards. Your time is up.

For the part timers. law enforcecent is not a "part-time" job. Try something else.

I'm not saying the way jobs are handling are fair, but it is what it is.
    It blows my mind that whenever someone tries to defend the current system, they always concede this point!!!

Isn't there already a policy that states full time will have preference when signing up for OD??
    No, Holder changed it on his way out the dooor. You probally missed the memo because you where watching the "wheres my cheese video".

Lightbulb Re: Reserve officer caught stealing at t40

Hey I just wanted to say, Im glad somebody took the heat off the reserve II's it really doesnt matter to me because I work jobs no one else wants to work (BARS). I also wanted to say I dont steal, I think my issue is showing up on time, you know that kind of stuff, so dont slap all the reserve II's. I write my own reports,fill out my own CRA's while on offduty and go to court on my time with no compensation and on my gas all for free, so some of you shouldn't complain you really have it good.I know " :snicker: if you want what we have go full time", I shouldnt have to do that if I really dont want too. We are all on the same team here, and all of you who Ive dealt with really show that when im on the street and I put my time on the street. Oh by the way back to off duty since I cant sign up for a job on my own, does anyone want to double up on a bar with me? OK LETS SEE HOW MANY HITS I GET ON THIS

Why our you buying your own gas for court time? If you submitt the witness aide paper work you will get your witness fee plus milage, which will cover your gas bill plus some.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Guest111
    Training and Personnel have already pulled the T40 records for 2008 when they took over the reserve program. The reports are available at 34th street if you would like to look at them. The facts are this, reserves took a very small percentage of the billed hours out of the extra duty office. There are a good number of reserve officers that have never even touched an hour of extra duty, yet donated 400- 500 hours each year.

The perception is reserve officers take all of the good jobs and work all the available t40 hours, this is simply not true. Most of this is based on rumors that have been carried on for years and because one person said it to another, it must be fact. So that person told there friend and so on and so on. Why do you think the PBA or the Administration never steps into this issue. The reason is the rumors, simply don't match the facts and there are more important issues to deal with. I will agree that some jobs at venues may be handed out in what may appear to an unfair fashion, They could change the program, but someone will always find a way to work around it, that's human nature. You cannot blame the reserve officers for taking those jobs(it's a full time supervisor that schedules them). If someone came to you and asked you to be put on the roster for a venue, I doubt most would take a stand and say it's unfair, therefore I'm not taking it. You'd take the job.

A Reserve II can only work a job after a full timer has signed up. That leaves in most cases only bars and traffic positions. I have seen multiple one man job calendars filled out for an entire month by the same full timer officer, that isn't a reserve officer stealing your hours or jobs. The system ain't perfect, but that's the system.

Reserves aren't stealing anything from you, your paycheck comes as promised every two weeks with the salary and the benefits you agreed to when you accepted the position. Nobody told the background investigator or the person who extended the offer to be hired, I'm not talking this job, if your going to let reserves work extra duty. Extra duty is no more a right for a full timer to work then it is for a reserve officer. The city advertised the ability to work extra duty on the reserve website as part of the recruiting process, don't blame a reserve for working it. There's no doubt your taking advantage of every benefit offered to you. Anybody turned down the 3 hours of court time, because they were there 30 mins. You took it, jump in your city owned car and drove home with your city paid gas and smiled the whole way (You probably stopped at Chik F La on your way home and picked up your free meal.) I've been in the dept for a number of years now and started in the reserve program. Most of the criticism level at the reserve program, is either simply not true or the rumors have been inflated. Most of the reserves are hardworking and want to do a good job. Everyone has there bad apples, including us.
    Wow, someone actually made a post with knowledge and common sense.
    Um no this is the reserve Cordinator sticking up for his boyz... go by a bucs or forum event anytime and see how many reserves are working and wonder why u cant a job there????????????????//

Quote Originally Posted by Guest1111
    I'm not going to speak to the Reserve 1 program, but to only say we may need this program one day ourselves for the extra money.
    If you need the extra money then don't retire. It's as simple as that. It's not like we have 401K's or IRA's that we have to personally contribute to in order to fund our retirement. All of us know our pension multiplier and how much we will make in retirement well before we retire. Do some financial planning and don't retire if you can't afford it.

The outrage is at the dozen or so R1's who make in excess of $50K per year working nonstop T40. You say that the reserves work only 13% of the T40, but I bet if you split it down more closely then you would see R1's working the vast majority of that even though they comprise a small percentage of the total reserve force.

The reserves are and has always been intended as a volunteer force to augment and support the police department. It has never been designed to be a first or second job. I wonder how many reserves would leave tomorrow if we told them that they could no longer work T40? It would probably be most of the R1's and a decent percentage of R2's.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Guest1111
    I'm not going to speak to the Reserve 1 program, but to only say we may need this program one day ourselves for the extra money.
    If you need the extra money then don't retire. It's as simple as that. It's not like we have 401K's or IRA's that we have to personally contribute to in order to fund our retirement. All of us know our pension multiplier and how much we will make in retirement well before we retire. Do some financial planning and don't retire if you can't afford it.

The outrage is at the dozen or so R1's who make in excess of $50K per year working nonstop T40. You say that the reserves work only 13% of the T40, but I bet if you split it down more closely then you would see R1's working the vast majority of that even though they comprise a small percentage of the total reserve force.

The reserves are and has always been intended as a volunteer force to augment and support the police department. It has never been designed to be a first or second job. I wonder how many reserves would leave tomorrow if we told them that they could no longer work T40? It would probably be most of the R1's and a decent percentage of R2's.
    And how many active officers would stay on the job if THEY didnt get paid?? :roll:
    MORON!
    You think they go into the Reserve out of the kindness of their hearts? Of course they want to make some money for all kinds of various reasons. You make at least 1/3 more money, pay less than half of insurance, work off duty, and still thats not enough of you whiners. The new breed is the new greed.

You just don't get it. You're right the full-timers would all quit if the city stopped paying us. We would do so because being a police officer is our FULL TIME JOB. The reserves are meant to be a VOLUNTEER force to support the mission of the department. It says that plain and simple in the SOPs. Since when do volunteers expect to be paid? Volunteer work does not constitute a job, so you shouldn't expect to be paid. If that bothers you then you should quit the reserves. There are plenty of reserves who don't work off duty and are members of the reserve force for the right reasons.

If our union were worth a darn then there would be no reserves to begin with. If the reserves didn't exist, all those reserve officers working events for free would have to be replaced with officers on overtime or making extra duty money. The city would just pass on the cost to the event organizers instead of pocketing the money that they get from your free labor. I don't blame our current union administration for this, as it's something that has been a problem for years.

I'm sorry that your feelings are hurt, but the full time officers should always come first. We're the backbone of the department, are actual employees, and are covered by the collective bargaining agreement. The fact that reserves are allowed to take money out of the pockets of those of us who do this job every day in order to provide for our families creates some animosity towards the reserves.

I'll just ask you this one question, assuming that you actually have a full-time job other than being a reserve. How would you like it if I went to your place of employment and told your boss that I wanted to "volunteer" at your office? Because of my volunteer time, the management cut your weekly hours, putting less money in your pocket. Don't tell me you wouldn't have a problem with that.

You think they go into the Reserve out of the kindness of their hearts?
    YES!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast