Congratulations - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Congratulations

Re: Congratulations

Well said!

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Amen. First thing is first. I wonder how many of the sgts would quit, come back and be eligible to be placed on the sgt promotion list. The only one on the list, whom was given preferential treatment, *****ed and moaned because the admin didn’t promote him fast enough. He even told people he was going to quit if he didn’t get the stripes. Now, out of the blue they say "Congratulations you are hereby promoted. But, you have to work mids in another district." Now he says "I don’t wanna go.”

Second look at the list. I will not mention anyone in particular there are some deputies in the top 5 that, uh, well, don't have what it takes to supervise. They may have questionable integrity or motives in that they may throw you under the bus. There may be some who are downright lazy as patrol deputies like throw calls into other deputies laps, weasel out of calls, etc. There is even someone who was allowed to take the test on a separate date although the admin wouldn’t let some others do it. With all of that being said, I think the admin may have to revert to Mad TV's "Lowered Expectations" as a model for promotion. This is not to say some of the candidates are not good people. Some are just lousy deputies who have little to no respect from their peers, or good deputies who have little to no leadership capabilities.

We road deputies need supervisors who will lead us, and not from the rear. We need sgts who will work side by side, have the guts to calls the shots and stand behind their decisions and not leave their troops out to dry. What we need are those men and women who will take charge and assume the responsibility in which they are tasked: Those who work under their supervision.

So what if some in the top 5 have a degree and that gives them an advantage over another. If you read the evals on one of the candidates it is a surprise that evaluation notations don’t apply to the selection process. It may “look good” to the press that some of the supervisors have a degree in underwater basket weaving, but that does not mean that person knows a dam# thing about leadership. Leadership means the ability to obtain followship, not who has the highest degree in college or in martial arts, it doesn’t mean because you are buddies with unit one and it dam# sure doesn’t mean do what I say and not what I do. Quite frankly, as another poster pointed out, some could not lead their troops to water if they were on fire. Give us leaders. Us slick-sleeves will follow them.

If some take offense to this, so be it. Perhaps if you are one of the ones I am referring to, then you need to re-think some of the things you do before you take on the RESPONSIBILTY of leading a shift. And yes, it is a responsibility. If you want a promotion so you can get the gold brass, the chevrons and the recognition, we don’t need you. We need sgts who don’t constantly remind their troops that they are a sgt, unless a troop thinks the tail wags the dog.

Give us leaders. Us slick-sleeves will follow them. As far as the newly promoted, now I don’t want it sgt goes, remove him from the list and move on.
    Best post I've read in a long time.

I agree with the post above. It is so important that a deputy feel like he can trust and confide in his supervisor. I know that there are many people that are just not leaders, but are hard workers. I also feel that you have to gain the respect of a troop and not demand it. There are supervisors that only want the waves to stay low and nothing to cause any question during the shift. Then you have supervisors that want the troops to work and get into as much as possible. In my opinon that is what a true SUPERVISOR is. It is the job of a boss to monitor what is going on and make sure his guys and gals are safe and have all the tools needed to do a good job. I know that everyone is a little angry at times with the decisons that are made. The truth is that being in the ADMIN sometimes might suck a little. No matter what decison is made someone will not be happy. In a place like the S.O., it is hard to please everyone. Bottom line is... To be a good SUPERVISOR you must first be a good person and a hard worker.

With all of that being said, did JS really turn it down or is it a rumor? And if he did turn it down has the admin promoted anyone else?

Yes....he turned it down. Don't know who gets it yet.

Since he did turn it down I hope he gets removed from the eligibility list and not have another chance at promotion. The admin bent over backwards to give him another shot at promotion and after crying the blues about not getting a fast promotion he turned it down. So whoever gets it, congratulations. One other thing, I do agree with the posters above. There may be some on that list that if they get promoted and they are my supervisor, I'll transfer or find another job. That's a fact.

So, If JS did in fact turn the promotion down, who should get it?

I agree with the posts above, but who? I challange each "guest" on here to put down who you think should get it. Don't say anything bad about anyone, or why others should not get the promotion, but who do YOU think should get it and why. I guess the challenge is to not write anything bad about someone.

Who is in the top 5, or does anyone know who is in the top 10? Unit 1 has been known to skip some people before.

If DB is in the top I'd pick him over the others. No offense to the others but the college degrees put them higher up on the list. DB can lead.

I agree with all of the posts in this thread. That being said, DB would be my pick. He can do the job. If there are any other openings I would sugget looking at the next top five. Sorry to the current top except for DB but, well no comment

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast