Directives and application - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Directives and application

no more than L2, S1, or 361 did while obtaining their masters

livin the dream

I wonder how much time is spent discussing fantasy football?

right?

How about the people who think school is a waste of time go directly to 346, 377, 379, 396, 446, and 428 and tell them to their faces that they are wasting their time. All of whom are currently pursuing their degrees.

I didnt think so.

College and education are both good sources of knowledge generators. I would say if your training (military/vocational) or college is older than a few years, you've got some problems. Training and knowledge falls behind after a few years. I know people that are 20 plus years in the future from their military training. How does that affect a potential promotional appointment? How does that training pale in comparison to today's military training? How about someone that hasn't had any substantial schooling in 20 plus years?

Training and education are only as good as the time in history it was taken in. Anything else and you fall behind today's technological and knowledge advancements. Best bet is to continue training and or education throughout your life. Since you can't continue your military training when you get out (unless reserve status), try to find some new training or other school to get into so you can stay abreast of current technological and knowledge advancements.

Some people take in-service training classes, others take college courses. We've all taken those Florida in-service training classes. Those are a joke, yet someone with enough salary incentive classes can make the same as an officer with a college education. Who's making the same amount of money for less work? In-service classes vs college courses. Another debatable issue.

Many of those whom you have rattled off do think school is stupid. They are only doing it because they have to. No real seekers of knowledge there. That's the whole point of school though right? Soon all degrees will be rendered meaningless because everyone will have one. You will need a state certification to work the french fry station at McDonalds.

The good news is Obama wants "Universal Education" for all Americans, no one has to pay! If everyone has a degree, how will we feel smart and self important? Where are society's doers? Everyone sits around learning about things instead of doing things. Let's learn about police work from some guy who "observed" law enforcement and wrote a book. It's no wonder law enforcement is pretty ineffective these days.

I guess we are a better agency than PCSO and HCSO because we require a two year degree. When my pipes bust at home, I want the experienced and skilled plumber, not the plumber who read books and wrote papers about it.

Sorry Sarge, I guess you have to step down from line supervision until you learn more about 19th century Latin American politics. Ma'am, don't worry I'll catch the bugger that murdered your son......I have a Masters Degree in Public Administration.

Yeah, your right we should all go to school on duty too. Let's all work on our Masters on duty, maybe those that already got them can take calls for us for a while...since we carried them (I do recall those days of watching that go down----they were making more money than us doing no actual work).? The bad news is when I retire there is going to be 45,000 guys trying to teach Criminal Justice at junior college.

I just can't get over why the crime rate is going up, or at the very least not going down. With such a dense concentration of educated law enforcement professionals in one jurisdiction, I am amazed at the lack of innovation, the inability to utilize resources and the inability to adapt and foresee the new challenges we face. For example, why do we deploy in reactive random patterns when this has clearly been discredited by the Kansas City Study? With such a genius laden organization I expect new things and new ideas, however, what we get is write lots of tickets and "that's the way we always did it", and my favorite, "Someone else takes care of that"......

I say our officers need focus on things like "driving without crashing" "learning to talk to the public" "getting confessions" "solving crimes" "getting along with co workers" "not getting maimed or killed" "recognizing crimes and criminals" "observation skills" and "basic Florida laws", before they go out and learn how to run and manage a police agency. That is a real problem in our agency. Yes, I am impressed that you are working on your Masters in International Relations, but maybe just take a little time out of your "balancing" and "very busy school day" to focus on what people are counting on you (and paying you) to do. Let's worry about that post retirement gig after maybe our first five years of service.

How about we learn by doing?

Duh,

Good points! PPPD had several old school officers that had military experience, no college, yet maxed out on the $130 per month because they had enough salary incentive classes. Those classes are a joke, but they hold more weight than a 4 year degree. Two salary incentive classes equals $20 extra per month. A 4 year degree is worth $80 extra per month. Think about it folks, 8 salary incentive courses equals a 4 year degree in law enforcement. That is insane.

Leave the 2 year college requirement there for supervisors. If a candidate also has military experience give them an extra 5 points like they do for civil service and government jobs. If they have above and beyond the 2 year college requirement, give them an extra 5 points too. That makes everyone equal. If you don't like the supervisor college requirement...go back to school....or get another occupation that will promote without college.

Or become the City Manager instead............shazaam!

Really though, just being a good cop beats both.

I am sorry but being a good street cop does not automatically gurantee being a good supervisor.

It should be a requirement but there are a number of good street cops that would make terrible supervisors.

Also, our agency does not require a two year degree. It is preferred, but there are many officers who have been hired with much less than a degree.

How many years of patrol/experience do you think it takes to become a good street cop? Two, three, four, five, or more? Think about our current supervisory personnel for a moment. How many have less than 5 years, 3 years, or 2 years patrol experience beore they were promoted or shuffled off to a specialized position? These are the same supervisors that give orders, direct, and discipline officers concerning proper patrol procedures.

There are lots of veteran patrol officers with more patrol experience than the supervisors. Some would make fantastic supervisors, others would not. Sadly, the good ones will never get a chance to supervise because of budget cuts and others being entrenched in their supervisory roles for years to come.

I agree with the previous posters that seem to gravitate towards an equal balance of patrol experience and education being the ideal candidate for a supervisory position. Nothing wrong with getting some book smarts about administration procedures. At least that way the under-experienced supervisor-elects get a chance to learn something about law enforcement while they are leading the backbone of the pd....the patrol officers. Day in and day out they get the job done. Most of them without supervision.

Duh,

Good points! PPPD had several old school officers that had military experience, no college, yet maxed out on the $130 per month because they had enough salary incentive classes. Those classes are a joke, but they hold more weight than a 4 year degree. Two salary incentive classes equals $20 extra per month. A 4 year degree is worth $80 extra per month. Think about it folks, 8 salary incentive courses equals a 4 year degree in law enforcement. That is insane.

Leave the 2 year college requirement there for supervisors. If a candidate also has military experience give them an extra 5 points like they do for civil service and government jobs. If they have above and beyond the 2 year college requirement, give them an extra 5 points too. That makes everyone equal. If you don't like the supervisor college requirement...go back to school....or get another occupation that will promote without college.
    That does not make everyone equal by giving those who went to school an extra five points. ALL of us had and have had the same opportunities. Some chose to take advantage and others got lazy. I for one have a college degree and I am glad I do. I do not push college on anyone, some just don't want to do it. But don't allow that same person who lacks the ambition to be ranked even to me when it come times for promotional consideration. Take a class or two at a time and before you know it SHAZAM, degree. On a side note don't blame the PD, blame to colleges. That want you to take some B.S. ALMEA studies courses to graduate. I know I speak for many when I say that it's a money making venture. I don't care about 19th century lit. any more than the next guy. Oh well, the rich get richer.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast