4 Hillsborough Deps. in hot water for apathy and poor ethics - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: 4 Hillsborough Deps. in hot water for apathy and poor ethics

Quote Originally Posted by obamalover
    Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    I don't know why people think that we're supposed to be superman or something. Why is it you don't see plastered all over the newspapers "Plumber charged with DUI"? People forget that deputies are still human and still make mistakes, and yes, still sometimes get away with it.
    Why? Because if you enforce the law, then you should be more than accountable for obeying it. You took an oath and should be held to a higher standard because the public entrused you and expects that from you. Whether you like to hear it or not, the public is your boss and the public has a right to know when you've breached that trust. Take for instance something as simple as a traffic violation: John Smith gets a citation for speeding. Now say John Smith hears about a deputy who was pulled over for the same infraction and is sent on his way after flashing a badge. Not right, that is hypocritical. So in other words, you basically enforce the same laws you break...As if the law doesn't apply to you...The old "do as I say, not as I do." So of course it should make the news when you screw up.
    Ohhh, and while were on the subject. I pulled a Marine Corps Major over the other day for runnin a red light. He was in full dress uniform, purple heart as well as other medals and awards attached. He admitted his mistake and was more than willing to accept fault. I'll be damn if I will write this MAN a ticket. We talked about his violation and I sent him on his way with a verbal warning. Food for thought.

Nice post NB. I hate writing tickets and most "talked" their way into them. :wink:

I agree except for 316.3045(a). I'd write my own mother a citation for that violation.

316.3045 Operation of radios or other mechanical soundmaking devices or instruments in vehicles; exemptions.--

(1) It is unlawful for any person operating or occupying a motor vehicle on a street or highway to operate or amplify the sound produced by a radio, tape player, or other mechanical soundmaking device or instrument from within the motor vehicle so that the sound is:

(a) Plainly audible at a distance of 25 feet or more from the motor vehicle

That is the one statute I love to enforce. I just wish we could walk up to the car/truck, pull our firearm, and kill the radio right there on the spot, no judge no jury :mrgreen:

Walks like a duck,_____________, I guess everyone knows the rest of the story. Damm the toepedoes full speed ahead comrades.

Quote Originally Posted by fltoddy
    I agree except for 316.3045(a). I'd write my own mother a citation for that violation.

316.3045 Operation of radios or other mechanical soundmaking devices or instruments in vehicles; exemptions.--

(1) It is unlawful for any person operating or occupying a motor vehicle on a street or highway to operate or amplify the sound produced by a radio, tape player, or other mechanical soundmaking device or instrument from within the motor vehicle so that the sound is:

(a) Plainly audible at a distance of 25 feet or more from the motor vehicle

Thanks God someone enforces this. I get so sick of being able to hear what people are listening to when they are a block away.

Quote Originally Posted by obamalover
    Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    I don't know why people think that we're supposed to be superman or something. Why is it you don't see plastered all over the newspapers "Plumber charged with DUI"? People forget that deputies are still human and still make mistakes, and yes, still sometimes get away with it.
    Why? Because if you enforce the law, then you should be more than accountable for obeying it. You took an oath and should be held to a higher standard because the public entrused you and expects that from you. Whether you like to hear it or not, the public is your boss and the public has a right to know when you've breached that trust. Take for instance something as simple as a traffic violation: John Smith gets a citation for speeding. Now say John Smith hears about a deputy who was pulled over for the same infraction and is sent on his way after flashing a badge. Not right, that is hypocritical. So in other words, you basically enforce the same laws you break...As if the law doesn't apply to you...The old "do as I say, not as I do." So of course it should make the news when you screw up.
    Detention Deputies are not charged with enforcing they law.

I used to enforce it liberally and cite just as liberally, but our citation writing wings have been clipped (Reserves) so I have to resort to grandstanding, finger wagging, and verbal chastisement.

That's discouraging to me as I believe there is a definite correlation between "boom cars" and the overall neighborhood personality. Leaving the "broken windows" I believe leads to the upstanding citizens fleeing and it spirals out of control from there.

I used to enforce it liberally and cite just as liberally, but our citation writing wings have been clipped (Reserves) so I have to resort to grandstanding, finger wagging, and verbal chastisement.

That's discouraging to me as I believe there is a definite correlation between "boom cars" and the overall neighborhood personality. Leaving the "broken windows" I believe leads to the upstanding citizens fleeing and it spirals out of control from there.
    Send Me a digital or x45 me on my cell if I'm logged on. I'll be more than happy to x56 ya and bang out the CIT. Take care.

Quote Originally Posted by The Nitely Blog

Send Me a digital or x45 me on my cell if I'm logged on. I'll be more than happy to x56 ya and bang out the CIT. Take care.
    Thanks, appreciate that. I stopped one in C2 zone Friday night and just gave them a tongue lashing. I'll check and see if you're working next time I work and may take you up on that offer. It'll also help kick the D4 x50 count up a little for March...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast