From The San Bernardino Sun, February 11
SAN BERNARDINO, CA – Police Chief Michael Billdt said Wednesday he has found ways to reduce the number of police officers tapped for layoffs.

The news came after a damning night to the city in which the Police Officers' Association decided not to give up 10 percent of their salary, and delivered a second overwhelming no confidence vote in the department's command staff in six months.

At the City Council's request, 49 officers have received notice that they could be laid off. Twenty-two ranking officers have been asked to choose between demotion and unemployment. A council vote is scheduled for Tuesday.

All but one of the 190 rank-and-file members who voted Tuesday night cast their vote against Billdt, expressing anger that he has not fought to save his officers' jobs.

The chief said he was "a little taken aback" by the no confidence vote because he has been working hard with the union to "mitigate the impacts."

"I'm aware of what's occured but that's not going to sway me from doing the work of the city," Billdt said. "The officers' frustration about what's occurred at the local, state and national level is understandable to me. I understand they're upset and I share their concerns."

He declined to elaborate on his ideas of how to cut costs and save officers' jobs, saying he will first present the plan to the budget ad hoc committee and the City Council.

Police, along with other city employees, have been asked to concede 10 percent of their salary to help close a projected $9 million defecit and prevent the potential layoffs of another 20 cops.

"The membership resoundlingly said no due to the city's unwillingness to guarantee that there would be no layoffs even with our concessions," said union Vice President Travis Walker.

Union officials said they want the city to tell them what the money would be used for before they consider the pay cuts.

"Once the city has said `This is where we need to go' and we can assure our members they will not be laid off, I'm sure the men and woman of this organization will make concessions," said union President Rich Lawhead.

After hearing that the union refused to make concessions, Interim City Manager Mark Weinberg said he will consider work furloughs for police to help save money.

Mayor Pat Morris said he was disappointed in the police union leadership.

"Over the past three years, our community has made crime-fighting and supporting our police its absolute priority," he said in a written statement, adding that the citizens' willingness to be taxed by Measure Z put more officers on the streets and helped drive crime down.

"But now, an unprecedented economic recession jeopardized those gains and the community is asking the police union to make a sacrifice to help preserve these gains. Sadly, the union's answer to the community has been 'no.'"