Deputy Spellman Pasco SO
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Deputy Spellman Pasco SO

I am disappointed we lost an excellent potential Trooper due to the psychological. I would believe the psych test does weed out some bad apples; however on a daily basis, Deputy Spellman displays constant professionalism, and always has an excellent work ethic. I have never heard anything but positivity from all of his supervisors and co-workers, and all of them hope he shows up when the situation is deteriating. Brothers and sisters, we lost a good one here in Troop C. I hope there is a hiring grievance for him. However; I know he wants to be a Trooper bad enough, he will retake the PATS test on his own dime in Orlando, and again spend his hard earned money for another trip to Miami just to drive the 'black & tan.' You would think an extensive background investigation would outweigh one personal opinion from one person from Miami? On a personal note, it made me realize and remember how hard is it was to get here, and gives me a continuous appreciation for what we do have. I am going to speak to the Troop C administration on his behalf as he is well-deserving. Evans- (Dep -to-Tpr).

Re: Deputy Spellman Pasco SO

Talk about a Bro-mance. I'm sure he'll appreciate the tribute.

Quote Originally Posted by deptotpr
    I am disappointed we lost an excellent potential Trooper due to the psychological. I would believe the psych test does weed out some bad apples; however on a daily basis, Deputy Spellman displays constant professionalism, and always has an excellent work ethic. I have never heard anything but positivity from all of his supervisors and co-workers, and all of them hope he shows up when the situation is deteriating. Brothers and sisters, we lost a good one here in Troop C. I hope there is a hiring grievance for him. However; I know he wants to be a Trooper bad enough, he will retake the PATS test on his own dime in Orlando, and again spend his hard earned money for another trip to Miami just to drive the 'black & tan.' You would think an extensive background investigation would outweigh one personal opinion from one person from Miami? On a personal note, it made me realize and remember how hard is it was to get here, and gives me a continuous appreciation for what we do have. I am going to speak to the Troop C administration on his behalf as he is well-deserving. Evans- (Dep -to-Tpr).
    I think they need to revamp our hiring process. I have "recruited" LEO's that would have made outstanding Troopers but they all got axed in the psych test. Some even applied to other agencies after we DQ'd them and they got hired within a month. I find it hard to believe that a guy could be a deputy for 10 years, not pass OUR psych test, and be able to get hired by another department. I know a deputy that applied to FHP and was DQ'd. Nearly every Trooper and supervisor was hoping he would get on because he was a great guy and a hard working cop. He stuggled through our hiring process (they treat applicants like garbage) and got canned in the psych. I think our hiring section is spending too much time trying to figure out how NOT to hire someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Fix the problem
    Quote Originally Posted by deptotpr
    I think they need to revamp our hiring process. I have "recruited" LEO's that would have made outstanding Troopers but they all got axed in the psych test. Some even applied to other agencies after we DQ'd them and they got hired within a month. I find it hard to believe that a guy could be a deputy for 10 years, not pass OUR psych test, and be able to get hired by another department. I know a deputy that applied to FHP and was DQ'd. Nearly every Trooper and supervisor was hoping he would get on because he was a great guy and a hard working cop. He stuggled through our hiring process (they treat applicants like garbage) and got canned in the psych. I think our hiring section is spending too much time trying to figure out how NOT to hire someone.
    This kind of sounds like when a guy who has been an A man for many years tries to come on the patrol as a paid trooper & they don't pass him. Yet he is good enough for them to do it for free. And yet he continue to do it for free. Kind of like a slap in the face, if you ask me.

Well , let's admit it. Anyone that wants to get on with FHP this day and age has to be a little touched in the head. Why would anyone in their right mind go from being a deputy to an agency with no future and all the current issues? So you want to be a trooper? Ok great, go to GA, NC, NY, or somewhere that actually has a good trooper agency. I don't know how anyone could not pass that psych test. I have taken the exact one for several agencies and passed everytime.

Here is how you should answer the psych questions:

1) I like fire - FALSE

2) I feel evil some mornings - FALSE

3) Everything that has gone wrong in my life is someone else's fault - FALSE

I really dont see why this test is so tough for some!?!

It would be nice if our hiring section would listen to the road Troopers. A road Trooper wouldn't go out of his way to recruit a candidate that wouldn't be a good Trooper. I was always relatively selective about the LEO's I tried to help because I would have to work with them if they got hired. I wouldn't recommend them if I thought they were going to be lazy do nothings. We've lost many good candidates due to our hiring section.

Just a fact. The psych test that is given is the same test that almost all departments throughout the nation use. The doctor just reads the results that are given to him. I am not sure how anyone could fail this test. Possibly some issues that are deeply suppressed.

Irish hit the nail headon... It's the Doc. who reads the results... So. If there is a problem with the number of washouts on the Physc.. maybe it's time to toss the ol' Doctor and get someone new in there..

Quote Originally Posted by Listen to the road guys
    It would be nice if our hiring section would listen to the road Troopers. A road Trooper wouldn't go out of his way to recruit a candidate that wouldn't be a good Trooper. I was always relatively selective about the LEO's I tried to help because I would have to work with them if they got hired. I wouldn't recommend them if I thought they were going to be lazy do nothings. We've lost many good candidates due to our hiring section.
    I wouldn't try to recruit anyone into this dead end agency, even if I did not like them...

He should have failed the psyc test for applying here in the first place...

As a recruit in the hiring process right now I can honestly say I have never been treated like such crap in my life. It seems like everyone involved in the hiring process hates their job and are proud to show it by being an a-hole. I know FHP has its issues but it is still something I want to do. Yes, I am still an outsider looking in, but please allow me to say the people working backgrounds out of Miami are the biggest bunch of unmotivated sarcastic a-holes.

Be safe.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast