Super Bro's!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super Bro's!

Post Super Bro's!

Well the Super Bowl has come and gone but this agency has shown it's true colors once again. Not only did they not give ALL deputies the opportunity to actually work the Super Bowl and Super Bowl related events, they called in LEO's from multiple agencies to work. Now although an event like this undoubtedly calls for a large number of law enforcement outside the agency, why not give your own deputies a chance to work and make a little extra money instead of picking and chosing who gets to work what from within the agency. What a total slap in the face to every deputy that wanted to work but wasn't even offered an opportunity. I've learned that many jobs were not placed in the computer but were worked by the Super Bro's. I'm sure though if you miss your job and/or don't confirm it there will be a suspension forth coming unless your a Super Bro! When the Super Bowl was here in 2003 there were more than enough jobs to spread around and after seeing what we were deprived of it seems there were plenty of jobs this time around. All you had to do was look at who was logged on and you will see who was reaping all the benefits. Not even a return email from a coordinating deputy to let you know you were available two months before the event! So for those of you who were wondering why they changed the memo from not taking time off to just go ahead and take time off during the Super Bowl, well now you know! Like Aretha once said just a little R.E.S.P.E.C.T.

Re: Super Bro's!

DITTO! $41 bucks and hour. Thanks for nothing. :twisted:

Nonsense.

They had to try to equitably share the assignments. Remember the uproar about EMS fighting over assignments in the stadium? You're just trying to start that regarding LEOs.

During WWII Eisenhower, an American, was Supreme Commander of Allied Forces. Some American officers got all bent out of shape because Eisenhower gave some important assignments to the English and other allies. But he needed to do this for good relations between groups.

Same thing here. It would be poor administration of the agency to try to exclude other LEOs from other agencies from the assignments.

Your post gives the appearance of being based upon ignorance of history, ignorance of good administration and personal greed.

Be glad you have a good job in a bad economy.

Don't shoot the messenger, and for the record, I did not work a single off duty hour in the past 4 months let alone the Superbowl.

This topic came up in a meeting I was in with one of the off duty coordinators about a month ago. Here are the facts as they were told to us at the time:

1) Those who had consistently worked at RJS the past season, especially those that were "floaters" and available on short notice to fill open positions during the regular season were given priority for Super Bowl jobs. Same thing applied for off duty jobs at the cruise terminals, they tried to give preference to those already established in that position.

2) HCSO did NOT give out any of their paids to other agencies, all of our slots were given to HCSO employees. The City of Tampa apparently filled some jobs outside of their agency.

3) We (HCSO) were contractually required to fill a number of slots, most of which were filled by pulling a zone deputy or using some of the support staff (HSD, Crime Prevention, etc.).

4) The off-duty budget was limited and reduced substantially in the months leading up to the event.

I'm sure some positions were awarded based on being "in favor" with key people, but that's just the way it works everywhere, not just in HCSO. I'm not saying it's right, just saying it's a fact of life. If you don't believe me, try making an honest mistake and forgetting to pay your taxes for a few years and then try and get the same penalty as some recent political figures.

Also, the above information is reproduced from memory as best I can remember it. I'm not swearing to the accuracy of the information, just regurgitating what I was told in hopes that it might clear up any confusion. #2 in particular was emphatically stated and the mere suggestion was met with a lot of emotion. Knowing (and greatly respecting) the person in charge of the event from HCSO I would tend to believe that if nothing else you could bank on #2 being true.

The whole off duty system is a joke. The Jobs aren't put in randomly. Its amazing how the same people get the same jobs every month. Lets take Publix for example. All of the publix jobs are entered in groups. The same people get them every month and somehow manage to sign up for more than 2 a day. Now I know how the off duty game is played, but it truely is not fair. Another example is the Ampitheater, when was the last time those jobs were put in the system for anyone to grab. Off duty plays favorites. Now I only work a cpl of jobs a month at my private job, so it really doesn't effect me but a superbowl job would have been nice.

During the period of history known as the Middle Ages, feudalism was the law of the land. It was the basis by which the upper nobility class maintained control over the lower classes. This rigid structure of government consisted of kings, lords, and the peasants. As I see it, the HCSO and most large agencies utilize this crude system.

Kings- Deps who get the best jobs, never have to check the system, get jobs that may or may not be in the OD system. They get the best superbowl , fair, sraw festival and other assorted jobs that the peasant deps can only dream of.These are usually the same people who b!tch about the peasant deps who actuallly have to watch the system 24/7, and get many subprime jobs that were available to all. They usually have strong ties to the PC High Kings.

Lords-These are the deps who have 1-7 "private jobs." They have made friends and get the scraps that the kings pass down to them.

Peasants- (Me) These are the deps who are not as popular as the kings and lords and watch the system (up to 24 hrs a day), get the bottom of the barrel jobs the the kings and lords do not want (or they just don't feel that they should have to watch the jobs, as they never had to do this.)

wow! I'm close friends with a Manatee dep who always seems to be working in Hillsborough when we have special events. It's weird though because I never see those jobs posted. In fact I worked a private job on parade day and got our regular $28hr. when he got $41hr. Do I feel like I was bamboozeled? Yes I do! We work in this county and I think that we (HCSO) should get fist dibs. It's funny I've never been asked to work anything over there or in any other county.

Quote Originally Posted by wanna work
    wow! I'm close friends with a Manatee dep who always seems to be working in Hillsborough when we have special events. It's weird though because I never see those jobs posted. In fact I worked a private job on parade day and got our regular $28hr. when he got $41hr. Do I feel like I was bamboozeled? Yes I do! We work in this county and I think that we (HCSO) should get fist dibs. It's funny I've never been asked to work anything over there or in any other county.
    Whats with the fact that the sheriff turned down ONCE AGAIN the hourly wage that was offered by the NFL and told them the old Sarah Palin line "Thanks, but no thanks" my deputies will work for their normal hourly wage???????????????

Also, the Gasparilla parade was a mockery when you have TPD and multiple outside agencies getting paid $41.00 hr while HCSO was told to flex the time. Yup, many TPD and all of Manatee S.O., Polh S.O. and Temple Terrace PD to name just a few were paid the entire day. Trust me, I'm happy to have a job that I work hard at, just tired of watching other agencies reap the rewards while HCSO handles all the 10-15's and paperwork. I'm sorry but it's not right.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Whats with the fact that the sheriff turned down ONCE AGAIN the hourly wage that was offered by the NFL and told them the old Sarah Palin line "Thanks, but no thanks" my deputies will work for their normal hourly wage???????????????

Also, the Gasparilla parade was a mockery when you have TPD and multiple outside agencies getting paid $41.00 hr while HCSO was told to flex the time. Yup, many TPD and all of Manatee S.O., Polh S.O. and Temple Terrace PD to name just a few were paid the entire day. Trust me, I'm happy to have a job that I work hard at, just tired of watching other agencies reap the rewards while HCSO handles all the 10-15's and paperwork. I'm sorry but it's not right.
    I really hate this reply but it applies here: those other agencies are probably hiring if the totality of what they offer is better.

Quote Originally Posted by sorry
    Quote Originally Posted by Guest

I really hate this reply but it applies here: those other agencies are probably hiring if the totality of what they offer is better.
    Wow.......thats a new one. If you can't explain why things were in fact done wrong, then tell the person to go work there. This has been and always will be one of the biggest problems at HCSO. Never a straight answer, just the same smart azz remark.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast