Morale is good at HCSO
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Morale is good at HCSO

Notwithstanding all of the griping about the Fitness Challenge, is it possible that deep in our hearts we agree that we should be striving toward a higher degree of physical fitness in view of the nature of our job? Perhaps, we actually know it is true that we should be in much better physical condition than we currently are. Some of us simply do not agree with the method currently utilized to promote that fitness.

I suspect that secretly many of us fit the description of General Colin Powell regarding military personnel:

"American soldiers live to win. They want to be part of a successful team. They respect a leader who holds them to a high standard and pushes them to the limit, as long as they see a worthwhile objective. American soldiers will gripe constantly about being driven to high performance. They will swear they would rather serve somewhere easier. But at the end of the day they always ask: "How'd we do?"

Even the most vehement complainers probably will acknowledge that the goal is laudable, if not the method of achieving it.

8)

Re: Morale is good at HCSO

Quote Originally Posted by Actually ---
    Notwithstanding all of the griping about the Fitness Challenge, is it possible that deep in our hearts we agree that we should be striving toward a higher degree of physical fitness in view of the nature of our job? Perhaps, we actually know it is true that we should be in much better physical condition than we currently are. Some of us simply do not agree with the method currently utilized to promote that fitness.

I suspect that secretly many of us fit the description of General Colin Powell regarding military personnel:

"American soldiers live to win. They want to be part of a successful team. They respect a leader who holds them to a high standard and pushes them to the limit, as long as they see a worthwhile objective. American soldiers will gripe constantly about being driven to high performance. They will swear they would rather serve somewhere easier. But at the end of the day they always ask: "How'd we do?"

Even the most vehement complainers probably will acknowledge that the goal is laudable, if not the method of achieving it.

8)
    Their hearts are in the right place, unfortunately its in the delivery. Additionally my gripe is where is the sheriff?????

I agree fitness is paramount in our chosen profession. i am actually embarrassed to be seen in uniform with some of the deputies I work with. With that said where is the sheriff???????

I could go on but I think my point is made.

WHERE IS THE SHERIFF?????????

For those NOT with HCSO... what's the basic run-down on this physical challenge stuff that everyone is *****ing about?? I can't find it anywhere beside's the *****ing about it :cop:

The new required fitness course is EXCESSIVE and it's ridiculous to go all of a sudden from what the yearly fitness requirement has been for many years to a 2.5 mile run and obstacle course. Most DO AGREE that better physical conditioning should be a priority of everyone, but as usual, YOU KNOW WHO has to make it as negative and tough as possible. I also agree with the above poster who asks..............just where has the sheriff been lately while his office crumbles around him?

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    The new required fitness course is EXCESSIVE and it's ridiculous to go all of a sudden from what the yearly fitness requirement has been for many years to a 2.5 mile run and obstacle course. Most DO AGREE that better physical conditioning should be a priority of everyone, but as usual, YOU KNOW WHO has to make it as negative and tough as possible. I also agree with the above poster who asks..............just where has the sheriff been lately while his office crumbles around him?
    Many moons ago we had the "Cooper Clinic" plan. This plan had set standards and different requirements based on your age. The standards set by Cooper had been tested and were found to be sensible.

As of today the Sheriff has not given us anything that shows that the "Docobo Challenge" has been tested and has any set standards such as those by Cooper. The "Docobo Challenge" does not even address how one's body changes in time as does the "Cooper Clinic" plan.

Thus I ask any of you on this site the following two questions.

1. How does passing the "Docobo Challenge" make you a better deputy?

2. What facts support that if you can pass the "Docobo Challenge" you are in better shape/heath than one that can not?

I have worked with deputies that smoked and could not run, or trot for that matter, one block. But when it came to an outright brawl with a suspect they cleaned their clock every time while the back-up deputy who was the poster child for fitness was sitting on the sideline huffing and puffing.

So why is the "Docobo Challenge" been pushed so hard lately? Is it really about the health of the employee? Is the Sheriff really doing this for us hoping we can get into better shape? Or could it be about money? Money that the Office could possibly save from the Heart/Lung Bill claims that are being filed by the employees against the Office? You know, the claims that every employee has either won via a settlement or an out right win in the court. Yup, we are the poor slobs that are out of shape and with high blood pressure and the likes..... but the Sheriff can not win just one claim. So maybe by forcing us to get into shape his thinking is the your health may be better and thus the chance for fewer claims against him will be the end result, you know the claims it seems that neither he or his staff can win.

And why do this? One has to know that the claims being paid to these employees/ex-employees is not being paid by the State's Workman's Comp . These claims and other on duty injury claims are now being paid directly by the Sheriff because several years ago he elected to pull out of the State's Workman's program in an attempt to save money. Our Workman's Comp program is now a budgeted item by the BOCC. Are you now starting to see why we may have the "Docobo Challenge"?

If this is the case than why not just come out and tell everyone that if you can pass this "Challenge", which should have set and tested standards, then we will pay you an extra $150 a month. But to send someone with knowledge and experience back to the street is absurd and shows, to me at least, that the higher ups are not as smart as they think they are.

Please let me know, how do I make one of these Heart/Lung Bill claims, and what am I required to prove? Also what do the "winners" of these claims get? Thanks.

Call Rick Swann

Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Many moons ago we had the "Cooper Clinic" plan. This plan had set standards and different requirements based on your age. The standards set by Cooper had been tested and were found to be sensible.

As of today the Sheriff has not given us anything that shows that the "Docobo Challenge" has been tested and has any set standards such as those by Cooper. The "Docobo Challenge" does not even address how one's body changes in time as does the "Cooper Clinic" plan.

Thus I ask any of you on this site the following two questions.

1. How does passing the "Docobo Challenge" make you a better deputy?

2. What facts support that if you can pass the "Docobo Challenge" you are in better shape/heath than one that can not?

I have worked with deputies that smoked and could not run, or trot for that matter, one block. But when it came to an outright brawl with a suspect they cleaned their clock every time while the back-up deputy who was the poster child for fitness was sitting on the sideline huffing and puffing.

So why is the "Docobo Challenge" been pushed so hard lately? Is it really about the health of the employee? Is the Sheriff really doing this for us hoping we can get into better shape? Or could it be about money? Money that the Office could possibly save from the Heart/Lung Bill claims that are being filed by the employees against the Office? You know, the claims that every employee has either won via a settlement or an out right win in the court. Yup, we are the poor slobs that are out of shape and with high blood pressure and the likes..... but the Sheriff can not win just one claim. So maybe by forcing us to get into shape his thinking is the your health may be better and thus the chance for fewer claims against him will be the end result, you know the claims it seems that neither he or his staff can win.

And why do this? One has to know that the claims being paid to these employees/ex-employees is not being paid by the State's Workman's Comp . These claims and other on duty injury claims are now being paid directly by the Sheriff because several years ago he elected to pull out of the State's Workman's program in an attempt to save money. Our Workman's Comp program is now a budgeted item by the BOCC. Are you now starting to see why we may have the "Docobo Challenge"?

If this is the case than why not just come out and tell everyone that if you can pass this "Challenge", which should have set and tested standards, then we will pay you an extra $150 a month. But to send someone with knowledge and experience back to the street is absurd and shows, to me at least, that the higher ups are not as smart as they think they are.
    You had me until you started saying the Sheriff was pushing fitness to lower healthcare costs...and you said it like it was a BAD thing. Au contraire, it is even more reason for the Sheriff to push fitness. The Sheriff owes it to the taxpayers to lower healthcare costs. The Sheriff owes it to US to lower healthcare costs. I don't see what's bad about that motivation.

Whats bad about it is the fact that first of all.........the Sheriff has remained quiet on the whole process, despite repeated requests for his input on the fitness challenge. Second of all, it is being used as a tool to demote Detectives, not help them. If you want to help your people as a leader, you have to speak up and at least let them know what you are asking of them and why? The only thing this course has done is elevate peoples blood pressures and cause further negative feelings between the troops and the command staff........especially one in particular. When you consistently treat your people like SH*T, it will eventually catch up to you in life. "What goes around comes around".

I never said it was a bad thing. I said that as far as I knew they were using a "system" that has not been test or does not distinguish between ages and sexes as Cooper did. I was saying that as far as I knew there were not set standards, but a 2.5 course was set up, some exercises were thrown in and no one can say why or what the baseline standard is for an average person.

The Sheriff also owes it to the taxpayers and citizens the opportunity to have their cases investigated by the most qualified detectives that have the experience to solve and close a case with an arrest, not a detective that is just physically fit.

As it was said, you can reward those that pass the "Challenge" with a monthly stipend, not a rank.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast