Insurance Costs ???
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Insurance Costs ???

Sheriff or whoever from executive staff is reading these posts EVERY DAY (yes, they is a directive that these posts are read every day) ... please look into the health care costs for the retirees. I appreciate the subsidy you give cause it really helps out a lot, but it needs to be raised to keep up with current costs. I just got my first bill for the new year and as a SINGLE person - not a family plan, it went up $80 A MONTH and has gone up every year since I retired. Your representatives come on here and talk about how great it is that your not passing on any extra cost to them, but it appears that it's being passed onto us .. this is crazy !!! Because I was fortunate enough to have the time in to retire, and am NO WHERE NEAR retirement age for medicare my costs are through the roof ... PLEASE HELP and raise the subsidy !!!

Re: Insurance Costs ???

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    fuk u old people! who cares?
    WHO CARES? A LOT OF US. WE ARE ALL GOING TO RETIRE SOMEDAY, GOD WILLING. THIS IS A SERIOUS ISSUE. KAZ OR SOMEONE AT THE PBA SHOULD TAKE NOTE OF THIS SITUATION. I KNOW OF RETIREES WHO HAVE HAD THEIR HEALTH INSURANCE GO UP BY 95 % SINCE THEY RETIRED. THIS IS SERIOUS. IT NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED NOW. THE ONES WHO POST THESE TYPES OF MSGS ARE THE SAME ONES WHO WILL ***** AND COMPLAIN WHEN THEY RETIRE. WE NEED TO ADDRESS THIS NOW WHILE WE ARE STILL ON THE JOB AND HAVE A SUPPORTIVE SHERIFF.
    I HOPE SOMEONE FROM EXECUTIVE STAFF DOES READ THIS AND DOES DO SOMETHING.

Don't worry man, we voted for Obama, he is going to give us all free health care and lower my taxes....no really, I heard him say so....

What ever happened to the idea that a percentage of the raise we get each year go into a fund we cna access for Insuracne costs?? It was going around a couple of years ago, but then died out....Sounded like a GREAT idea to me. Hopefully, this will be resurrected.

401-H Program. Instead of dumping money into deferred comp how about if each member contributed a certain amount based on their projected retirement age and had it pooled into a buffer account that would be cashed in during the retirment years prior to medicare/medicade kicking in. I think its an easy solution, but since it doesn't create gold tournaments with goodies to hand out and stuff, ideas like this just fade away. One day, these young bucks will see the light since most of them can't see past the Saturday Night two-for-one ladies night. There should be different committees in the PBA and one should be specifically for retirement issues and strategies made up of retired and surrent employees.

What a tool! Someone tries to use this site for it's intended purpose, (exchange of ideas/dialogue), and you respond with that quote. Grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by guest40
    What a tool! Someone tries to use this site for it's intended purpose, (exchange of ideas/dialogue), and you respond with that quote. Grow up.
    Agree with you. This is a vitally important topic for all of us. Particularly those of us getting ready to go or at least thinking of retiring in the next few years. I was talking with an out of state retiree the other day. I was shocked to hear what it cost for insurance. I was thinking of moving out of state, but this could be a problem. For him an his wife, its going to be $1640 a month this year. If I do all 30 years that is a $480 a month from PBSO and then $130 from the state (so long as you do not do the drop--if you do the DROP, its only $125 a month---they do not count the last 5 years in the med subsidy). That's a $1010 a month---and that does not include dental---that is $64.00 a month. All of these are PPO cause you have to take PPO if you move out of state. That is going to be a big chunk of the pension. By the time you take the option to protect your spouse with something and pay the taxes on the pension, its going to really be a shocker. We really need to get the PBA on this now. Before it's too late. I hope someone from the front office is reading all these things and will bring it up.

I agree, a 401-H is a great idea. If handled properly we can have enough money to cover our insurance premiums during our retirement. It would nice to have a program put together that would offer some assistance to those of our Brothers & Sisters who have already retired. I personally did not want to wait until this program got off the ground so I took 50k and placed it in a relatively safe investment program to cover the cost of medical and dental once I retire.

You're absolutely correct that NOW is the time to task the PBA with negotiating better health care subsidies for retirement. I started talking to the reps a few years before I retired and things have still not changed. When top brass were retiring a few years ago the policies regarding compensation for sick and vacation time changed to benefit them(and subsequently all of us). Hopefully we all won't have to wait for the next wave of top brass to go before retirement health benefits are changed. Those of us who have retired out of state are paying well over $1k/month for family coverage w/o dental. That's a tough nut to swallow!
    Those of you that still are working and have a loud voice--use it now to protect your future!

Quote Originally Posted by Zipper
    You're absolutely correct that NOW is the time to task the PBA with negotiating better health care subsidies for retirement. I started talking to the reps a few years before I retired and things have still not changed. When top brass were retiring a few years ago the policies regarding compensation for sick and vacation time changed to benefit them(and subsequently all of us). Hopefully we all won't have to wait for the next wave of top brass to go before retirement health benefits are changed. Those of us who have retired out of state are paying well over $1k/month for family coverage w/o dental. That's a tough nut to swallow!
    Those of you that still are working and have a loud voice--use it now to protect your future!

I do not think it is $1000 a month. If this is true please tell us who you are, since you are retired there shouldn't be an issue. I do know the premiums are higher for retirees, but not that high. I do believe your point is valid, just your facts are wrong.

In fact if there are any retirees that can give examples of what they actually pay in health and dental as a retired PBSO employee, please tell us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast