Insurance Costs ??? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Insurance Costs ???

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Zipper
    You're absolutely correct that NOW is the time to task the PBA with negotiating better health care subsidies for retirement. I started talking to the reps a few years before I retired and things have still not changed. When top brass were retiring a few years ago the policies regarding compensation for sick and vacation time changed to benefit them(and subsequently all of us). Hopefully we all won't have to wait for the next wave of top brass to go before retirement health benefits are changed. Those of us who have retired out of state are paying well over $1k/month for family coverage w/o dental. That's a tough nut to swallow!
    Those of you that still are working and have a loud voice--use it now to protect your future!

I do not think it is $1000 a month. If this is true please tell us who you are, since you are retired there shouldn't be an issue. I do know the premiums are higher for retirees, but not that high. I do believe your point is valid, just your facts are wrong.

In fact if there are any retirees that can give examples of what they actually pay in health and dental as a retired PBSO employee, please tell us.
    Call Fazi Bacchus....ext 3287....Employee +1 for PPO ( which is required for ALL out of state retirees is $1639.50 per month. (If you have kids like me its gonna be $2182.94) Subtract from that the number of years you work here. Lets say 30 year----$480 a month---that's $1159.50 a MONTH. Dental PPO is $63.38 a month. For a wonderful grand total of $1222.88 a month, once the kids are off--which won't be long. That is $14, 674.56 a year out of a pension. A pension BEFORE taxes. That really adds up fast. The health insurance out of pocket fee for retirees has gone up over 85% in the last year, not to mention that they changed some of the prescriptions to a higher price. This is really causes me and a lot of others to rethink where we will retire to and wheter we will have to go right back to work and whether to even think about it. Maybe a little less golf and a little more negotiation from the PBA. Lets take care of this now.

I took the buy-out in 2006. My plan is employee + 1. We moved out of state and therefore must use Open Access Plus. Our monthly payments for 2009 are $1247.50- medical only. I was 2 months short of my 25 years when I retired and, as I was not yet of normal retirement age (55), I am unable to get the state subsidy until I reach 55. When I do hit 55 yoa I'll get the state supplement of almost $125/month.
    Like I said, it's a pretty substantial hit. No wonder so many of the guys that retired relatively young are back to work for alot less money!

Insurance Costs ???

I retired in 2006 after 25 years at PBSO and kept my PPO (Single) insurance.. My cost for the month, after the subsidy from the State and PBSO last year was $311.72 per month. When the new year rolled around, it increased to $384.49. I decided to change to the POS and this reduced the preimum drasically. My monthly cost now is $146.68 including the dental insurance after subsidies.... But, like the post previously, Out of State Retirees can only have the PPO plan...Just alittle more input !

Quote Originally Posted by Guest 1307
    I retired in 2006 after 25 years at PBSO and kept my PPO (Single) insurance.. My cost for the month, after the subsidy from the State and PBSO last year was $311.72 per month. When the new year rolled around, it increased to $384.49. I decided to change to the POS and this reduced the preimum drasically. My monthly cost now is $146.68 including the dental insurance after subsidies.... But, like the post previously, Out of State Retirees can only have the PPO plan...Just alittle more input !
    Try having a wife and kids-its going to hurt. Point is--this should be something that is addressed by the PBA NOW!! They too will be retiring soon and watch--then something will get done. We are getting nice raises now, I would rather see something go towards the retirees and some plan to help us when we retire and are not getting those nice raises anymore. The state FRS 3% COLA is nice, but it is not keeping up with the medical insurance and everything else.

Since someone asked for specifics in cost, here are the bottom line payouts for employee only PPO medical and dental.

2006 – $298.42
    2007 – $342.20
    2008 - $407.32
    2009 – $480.04

These insurance costs belong to my wife who was with PBSO for 21.5 years and receives the $16.00 a year subsidy. She doesn’t get a subsidy from the state for health insurance, nor is she eligible for Social Security/Medicare, or even taking a little bit from her retirement fund without penalty due to her age (42 now). In addition to all this Vision benefits are not offered to retirees.

I also retired from an agency in FRS (27.5 yrs sworn) with NO subsidy from my department. My insurance has gone DOWN each year since I retired to the current rate of $513.18, once you deduct my state subsidy my pay out is $381.08. I have PPO medical, dental, family vision, and a life insurance policy; more benefits for less money, and I have Cigna PPO also.

At the time of retirement we both checked with our respective agencies on the cost of adding a +1 and found it to be over $1200.00 a month. That was almost 3yrs ago so I can see where it would be almost $1500.00 a month now as the person above stated. We chose to keep our insurance separate which saves us about $400.00 a month.

I think it’s time for the subsidy to be looked at and raised to accommodate today’s health care costs. I believe the last time it was discussed was when Sheriff Bieluch was in office and at that time they were looking to raise it to $20.00 per year. Since health care costs are only going to continue to go up why can’t the subsidy be raised every year to offset rising costs. I realize this is a benefit and not a right to give to retirees, but for some younger retirees like my wife it’s the only benefit that non-sworn are eligible for from the department. It is a way to recognize someone who in this case dedicated over 20yrs of their life to the agency, when many of today’s workforce employees won’t do more than 10yrs as stated in many training classes.

Those who are being critical of these posts are obviously not focused on anything in the distant future. Guess what, if this issue is not addressed, you too will be in the same boat one day, and that day will be here before you know it. As stated earlier insurance costs are only going to go up and as you can see we’ve had a significant jump over the past 2 ½ years.

Before someone says “go out and get a job if you can’t make your medical payments”, or “you shouldn’t have retired so young”; take away the age factor and you will see that the issue applies to everyone sworn or non-sworn. There are some retirees out there who also retired “young” and are unable to get a job due to health reasons and rely solely on their pension and benefits to get by.

Information below is from the Retiree Rate Sheet for 2009 (you would need to subtract whatever subsidy(s) you receive from these amounts)

Open Access Plus (PPO)
    Retiree Only $ 785.46
    Retiree +1 $1,639.50
    Retiree + 2 or more $2,182.94

Network POS (POS)
    Retiree Only $ 548.10
    Retiree +1 $1,151.72
    Retiree + 2 or more $1,535.82

Network (HMO)
    Retiree Only $ 522.58
    Retiree +1 $1,098.14
    Retiree + 2 or more $1,464.38

(Age 65 & over OR Medicare eligible and the above rates decrease. These rates do not include dental)

Quote Originally Posted by Information from 2009 Retiree Rate Sheet
    Information below is from the Retiree Rate Sheet for 2009 (you would need to subtract whatever subsidy(s) you receive from these amounts)

Open Access Plus (PPO)
    Retiree Only $ 785.46
    Retiree +1 $1,639.50
    Retiree + 2 or more $2,182.94

Network POS (POS)
    Retiree Only $ 548.10
    Retiree +1 $1,151.72
    Retiree + 2 or more $1,535.82

Network (HMO)
    Retiree Only $ 522.58
    Retiree +1 $1,098.14
    Retiree + 2 or more $1,464.38

(Age 65 & over OR Medicare eligible and the above rates decrease. These rates do not include dental)

Good Info---this is expensive stuff---what is the PBA's stand on this???

Not that it helps us, but does anyone know what BSO, MCSO, Orange County, etc. retirees are paying for health coverage?

Good Question retdep 06...

I posted that question on the retiree, Orange County and Broward County Forums to see what comes back (Martin County doesn't have a forum.

Stay tuned. Hopefully there will be some helpful responses.

This is an answer from the BSO website:

Miramar gives its retirees $20 for each year of service which caps at $400 per month. If you take the cities Insurance which is Humana and take the HMO option and you are single you end up paying nothing if you are getting the max amount of $400. The HMO Humana plan is pretty good if you go in network, minimal out of pocket expense and quite a few doctors and services to choose from. You can also take the $400 stipend and get your own insurance somewhere else. I don't know the numbers for dependents. I forgot to mention the dental is Delta Dental and is an additional $30 per month. I think the Health Insurance is $390 per month.

I realize this is from a city and not a county or FRS agency but it's an example of what's out there and what can be done. PBSO has a much larger pool than Miramar I'm sure.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast