"Communications is a life or death situation" - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: "Communications is a life or death situation"

Good Call LEO82..... It is not about agencies or whose better it is about safety on the streets, both City and County.

Whoever posted on here saying that digital is new technology and that CPD is the first one around here to use it is a fool. PCSO CID and St Pete PD CID have been using digital P25 digital talkgroups for years now without a problem. Sarasota County has a fully P25 digital system as well which has been in place for 13 years. Im bettin whoever tells you this info works for the city, lol. The CPD union should really look in to things further and go straight to a commision meeting and address not only the concern of a failing radio system, but also the fact there is no interoperability with other agencies. Im sure you could get a good trade in on those radios for county radios. Your safety is at risk!!! In fact i'm a resident of Clearwater, what would the city do if not only officers held a public hearing but if concerned citizens were there too and the news media.....hmmmm

yea I seem to remember assisting Clwtr one time and the radios just didnt work and they wernt digital. Imagine chasing after someone elses bad guy and you can't even talk to the people who called u in the first place. I mean because of that I dread assisting CPD. Someone is going to get hurt bad one day. All I know is if it's me who gets hurt Everyone in the county will be able to talk to me and help me within seconds. I can even talk to the fire dept!! Clearwaters radios are a accident waiting to happen. Simply stated..Be safe

Does the name Jefferey Tackett ring a bell to any of you? He was the Belleair police officer who was shot with his own gun when he rolled up on a burglary in progress. Guess what? His radio didn't work!!!!!! That was cited as a reason he bled to death. CPD , you need to take action or you'll be next!!!

I also seem to remember after this LODD occured that Clearwater offered to let BPD use the EDACS system to better inprove there communications. So did Pinellas County. They went with Pinellas COunty and are still on it to this day. I hear them all the time talking to the sheriff when they need assistance.

EDACSux you might look at some of those web sites from whoever made the first post, "Officer Down Memorial." We are not talking digital channels we are talking totally digital P25 trunked system compliant. Hillsborough is only one at this time accross the Bay at this time and they are having the same issues with the system failures we did. It is National issues with Digital vs. Analog. No one is saying our analog was the best, but it worked at least and we could communicate the digital did not work at all. If you can get the City to spend it that's great, but not in this day and age if your not a golf course, movie house, or the blue chip bar no money for you.
    Go to some of those sites and read the blogs and news reports those agency spent Millions of Dollars to rebuild radio systems and they do not work, they spent no where near that much to band-aid digital to our analog, cannot do it. It was a hardware issue not software so I will give you that, but there are issues with digital that need to be worked out.

Pinellas County is not completly digital call the County Director who is in charge of all of the radios she will tell you, they were watching what happened with us before they jumped. Call her she will tell you the truth, they are very open about it.

Basically boys what it boils down to is this....Your current radio system sucked in analog and now it sucks even worse in digital....Despite upgrading to digital which is a expensive band aid to make your already failing system look high tech, you still cant talk to anyone but yourselves..and now in digital you can barely do that. It is a fact that PCSO and St pete have digital P25 channels that the detectives use.....and yes there are downfalls with digital, but good god why would u make a stupid decision to put mainline talk channels in digital without testing the coverage first? Rather than upgrading to digital why dont you FOP guys get off your asses and bring it to the attention of the city that you cant talk to any other agency and that the whole rest of the county can talk to each other. Clearwater is the 2nd largest city in Pinellas....Forget about your digital problems and concentrate on your sucky ass system that nobody can communicate with.....

and one last thing.....It wouldnt take much to pull your tapes and have the county radio director and concerned citizens and officers alike to put this issue on the city commisions meeting agenda...I bet the city has no idea how bad it is.....If the county radio director talked to the commision and told them how everyone else can talk I bet the commisioners jaws would drop. As a resident of the city my money pays for your radios and I do have a say if officer safety is at risk in my community.

Here is the problem. The genius who runs the union has no clue as to what is going on. He should go back to work for Ringling Brothers as he was better suited as the juggling clown. Yes I do work for CPD and we have had issues with this system since it was initially purchased in the 80's. The biigest problem is our FOP president is a roll over for the city and will not stand up for the union and decry this 3rd rate radio system we have. His earlier post says it all. The city going back to the drawing board does not cut it. I for one will make sure my wife is well informed if I am injured or killed due to this soup can with a string we call a radio. Why does everyone else have Motorola/ Because it is a reliable system that has a proven track history.

1 adam 12 you should sign your real name after all it is already in the ACISS system for previous issues. Do you like that system as much as you like the PCSO radio system? There is a lot of change in your area right now, you might not want to go down a path you cannot return from. Also you might want to stay off face book during your work time and pay attention to the people you work with....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast