RUGGIERO'S UNARMED BROTHER SHOT BY NMB PD!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

RUGGIERO'S UNARMED BROTHER SHOT BY NMB PD!!!

Cop's adopted son shot by another cop
    An abandoned child who had been adopted by North Miami police detective 16 years ago was shot and wounded by another detective after a chase nearby.
    BY DAVID OVALLE
    dovalle@MiamiHerald.com
    Sixteen years ago, newborn James Ruggiero -- discovered abandoned in a garbage bin -- was adopted by a North Miami police detective.

On Monday, his life came to a jarring crossroads: James lay at Ryder Trauma Center, shot and wounded in the chest by a North Miami Beach police detective, a venerated officer and friend of the Ruggiero family.

''He has come so far for something like this to happen,'' sobbed his adopted mother, Kathleen Ruggiero, the North Miami detective whose work with disadvantaged children has drawn national praise.

``I don't care how he comes out of this. I want my son to live.''

James Ruggiero, 16, was one of four teens suspected of burglarizing a Farm Store, 16801 NE 15th Ave., about 8 p.m. on Sunday. Cops chased Ruggiero, who, according to a press release, ``placed an officer's life in fear and the police officer fired his duty weapon.''

James was shot once in the chest by NMB Detective Nelson Reyes, 41.

Monday night, he underwent emergency surgery for a ruptured colon, which left him in critical but stable condition.

Investigators believe James Ruggiero pulled a steak knife on Reyes, a gang detective who shares Kathleen Ruggiero's passion for charitable causes. The Ruggieros doubt that.

''Pulling a knife on an officer? No way,'' said brother Kevin Ruggiero, a Miami detective.

''He never carries a weapon,'' Kathleen Ruggiero said.

Kathleen Ruggiero, 59, is a domestic violence detective who once served as the department's spokeswoman. Deeply religious, she has adopted or cared for more than 70 needy children over the decades.

In 2003, CBS named her an ''American Hero.'' Cameras followed her family while they fed poor families on Thanksgiving. She has also been featured on CNN and The Rosie O'Donnell Show, and was invited to a police ceremony with President Bill Clinton in 1994.

She now cares for nine adopted children.

Her biological sons include Kevin Ruggiero, 32, formerly of Miami's homicide unit now investigating gangs, and Golden Beach Detective Robert Ruggiero, 35.

Kathleen Ruggiero adopted James in 1992 after he was found abandoned in a trash bin. He weighed two pounds, two ounces.

''He wasn't really expected to live. I looked at him and he didn't have a family. He was Baby X,'' she said.

But James Ruggiero survived, embraced into a large extended family. He was baptized at North Miami's Holy Family Church.

As a teen, he helped autistic children ride horses at the Enchanted Forest park, and attended North Miami Beach High. But he sometimes smoked cigarettes and chose a bad crowd.

''He doesn't always make the right decisions, but he has a good heart,'' Kathleen Ruggiero said.

In March, he was arrested on charges of breaking into an unoccupied dwelling. The charge was later dropped.

On Sunday, Ruggiero and pals entered the Farm Store and ''rummaged through the contents,'' a police report said.

Michael Pillet, 18, and another teen were arrested immediately, charged with burglary to an unoccupied structure. Ruggiero and another teen escaped.

Reyes, a gang detective, found Ruggiero on a sidewalk several hundred feet away from the store. Reyes jumped out of his unmarked police car, identifying himself as a police officer.

What happened next is unclear. Reyes' union attorney, David Macey, said the teen had a knife.

''Detective Reyes was in fear for his life and took the necessary steps to protect himself,'' Macey said. ``We're confident that will be substantiated.''

At the hospital, James Ruggiero told brother Kevin that he was shot as he tried to get on the ground. James also said he had a Fanta soda and three cans of Arizona Iced Tea in his hands.

The knife was found nearby on the ground, authorities said. The bullet pierced his right upper chest downward, leaving him in critical but stable condition.

Reyes, an engaging officer who is an expert in Afro-Caribbean religions, is well regarded in North Miami Beach.

A thyroid cancer survivor, he is active in disease-busting causes. To raise money the city's Relay For Life cancer walk in 2003, he camped out on the headquarters' roof for one week.

In June, Reyes joined Kathleen Ruggiero in participating in this year's relay.

Reyes was also known for helping the elderly and putting a red nose and antlers on his squad car.

''He's torn up about the whole thing because he knows the Ruggiero family. It's sad all the way around,'' said attorney Macey.

Despite her questions about the shooting, Kathleen Ruggiero said: ``I love Nelson with all my heart. We're not mad at him.''

COURTESY OF THE MIAMI HERALD

Re: RUGGIERO'S UNARMED BROTHER SHOT BY NMB PD!!!

KEVS MY MAN, REAL COOL STRAIGHT UP DUDE!!!! KEEP YA HEAD UP BROTHER!!!!

whatever happened, we are sorry for your loss Kevin

This is truly a no win situation. I offer up my prayers for all of those involved. May the light of the Lord shine on the faces of the Ruggiero family and Brother Reyes in their time of need

They love Nelson, and they are not mad at him...but they believe he shot an unarmed person. They need to make up their minds as to what they really think!

Yeah their we go again, "Not my son, he never carries a gun". What kind of friends was he hanging around with? Why were they running from the police?
    Just say that my son screwed up! Don't blame the police all the time. Maybe the parents are to blame. You should have more control over your 16 year old son. A knife is not unarmed brother shot! Get the topic correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Yeah their we go again, "Not my son, he never carries a gun". What kind of friends was he hanging around with? Why were they running from the police?
    Just say that my son screwed up! Don't blame the police all the time. Maybe the parents are to blame. You should have more control over your 16 year old son. A knife is not unarmed brother shot! Get the topic correct.
    God BLess Nelson, he is an excellent cop. The kid's fate was going in this direction sooner than later. I agree with this post, Not my son, not my brother, bullshit! Obviously this kid decided to do the wrong thing and potentially will pay a serious price. Bottom line is excellent job Nelson and don't EVERsecond guess what you did.

How about we keep our bias police opinions too our selves just this once fellows. This is tragic, yes, but we have too remember that one of our own brothers in arms is in pain right now. Now matter what the opinion of this, police officers son, this is a police family that all know each other that are going through a hard period right now. Just think if it was your father or brother, no matter what the circumstances, was shoot by your partner at the job. The same guy that comes to your home a hangs out with you and knows your brother of father that he/she shot. Think about that and you will understand that the only thing that needs to be said is God speed to both the officer and the officer family of the offender shot.

Keep your chin up Kev, all will be well in time. Speedy recovery to your brother and I hope he gets his life on track.
    Good luck and well wishes to the officer who fired the shot, only god and you know that moment in time and the decision that you had to make, one that we all face each and every day in this messed up world we now live in.

How funny is that Kevins mother a Domestic violence detective. Kevin should take some lessons from her. He has a nice domestic violence past. kevin is a little ghetto isnt he.

Folks, lets not stoop so low as to trash our officer or another. Let justice work its course. We have officers getting killed at an alarming rate, Miami or North Miami PD we deal with the same violent crimes everyday. Stay safe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast