FTO Guidance - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FTO Guidance

Re: FTO Guidance

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Hint one, if you are around a group of cops, KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT UNLESS YOU ARE DIRECTLY ASKED A QUESTION. I do not care what you have to add to the conversation. You have not earned your right to offer your input to our conversations! I hate that more than anything when rookies do that! I dont care that you have years on with another department, your a rookie at the new department you choose. Get off FTO then you can start to talk. Even then wach out!

Hint two, ask Law Enforcement questions.... I do not care what you did on your days off. If it doesn't pertain to police work, I DO NOT CARE!

Hint three, do not be afraid to ask quesrions that relate to police work....
    I had an FTO like this, he was a veteran and granted he was old fashioned. When I got hired I was stoked to work and wanted to learn about everything... my FTO had this same attitude and let me tell you how disappointed I was everyday I left work, and laced up for another day. I contemplated not even coming to work at times. It gets to the point that you get scared to ask questions because your afraid your FTO will freak out... I understand that a certain stress level must be met and placed on the trainee, however there is a limit. Anyway, try taking a less aggressive approach, I'm sure the results of your trainee's progress will raise ten fold.

Hint one, if you are around a group of cops, KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT UNLESS YOU ARE DIRECTLY ASKED A QUESTION. I do not care what you have to add to the conversation. You have not earned your right to offer your input to our conversations! I hate that more than anything when rookies do that! I dont care that you have years on with another department, your a rookie at the new department you choose. Get off FTO then you can start to talk. Even then wach out!

Hint two, ask Law Enforcement questions.... I do not care what you did on your days off. If it doesn't pertain to police work, I DO NOT CARE!

Hint three, do not be afraid to ask quesrions that relate to police work....Guest

.... This guy is a fuking idiot and please dont listen to him... guranteed he got his azz kick a few times and decided hes tough now cause he carries a tazer and gun... This guy is a turd and has obviously not been punched in the mouth in a while...

Quote Originally Posted by Guest2222
    FTO's,

I will be going on FTO in a few weeks. If there are any FTO's that would be willing to share some advice/tips how to make it successfully through what I have been told is a pretty stressful time period, I would really appreciate it.
    Ill tell you what, I am a Sergeant now and I was an FTO for a few years. All you have to do is absorb everything in. Dont talk about preferrences if you have never done the job. I had a trainee who questioned who told me how i should do traffic stops and how i should do building searches. And the funny thing was that he had never done either one. So i put him on the spot and made him do it and he folded. Just be yourself. If the FTO gets on to you for something you did wrong than that is a pretty good FTO. Because there are FTO's who wont say anything to you no matter how much you screw up. THat is not a good FTO because you are being set up to fail. Dont worry about studying 10 codes, that will come in time. Lear about policy and procedure. ask questions. and self start. If your FTO metions something or "hints" something do it. Dont wait to be asked. As long as you are not a know it all you will be fine. As far as that other idiot who says dont talk unless you are spoken to, well if you saw a someone hold up a 7-11 what you are not going to mention it unless someone asks about it get real. And do talk about what you did on your day off. thats how people get to know each other You will be fine

Quote Originally Posted by Guest2222
    FTO's,

I will be going on FTO in a few weeks. If there are any FTO's that would be willing to share some advice/tips how to make it successfully through what I have been told is a pretty stressful time period, I would really appreciate it.
    Ill tell you what, I am a Sergeant now and I was an FTO for a few years. All you have to do is absorb everything in. Dont talk about preferrences if you have never done the job. I had a trainee who questioned who told me how i should do traffic stops and how i should do building searches. And the funny thing was that he had never done either one. So i put him on the spot and made him do it and he folded. Just be yourself. If the FTO gets on to you for something you did wrong than that is a pretty good FTO. Because there are FTO's who wont say anything to you no matter how much you screw up. THat is not a good FTO because you are being set up to fail. Dont worry about studying 10 codes, that will come in time. Lear about policy and procedure. ask questions. and self start. If your FTO metions something or "hints" something do it. Dont wait to be asked. As long as you are not a know it all you will be fine. As far as that other idiot who says dont talk unless you are spoken to, well if you saw a someone hold up a 7-11 what you are not going to mention it unless someone asks about it get real. And do talk about what you did on your day off. thats how people get to know each other You will be fine
    Hey rookie what about giving some thanks for all the people who answered your post, if you dont you suck

Quote Originally Posted by my 2 cents

i second that. the people being hired these days suck for the most part. terrible work ethics, running their mouth too much. its all about collecting a paycheck these days and not about doing police work. this seems to be a growing trend everywhere and i blame the other "soft" fto's who want to baby the rookies by making them feel like they are one of the boys without paying their dues.
    Please try not to generalize too much. I was currently hired and quite simply don't care about the paycheck. Sure, it's nice. But I was willing to do this job for free, and if I get laid off at my PD, then I will. Secondly, who are you to question any work ethics? Do you know me? Have you seen me work? Judge every trainee by themselves, not by the group.

Quote Originally Posted by aritz945
    Quote Originally Posted by my 2 cents

i second that. the people being hired these days suck for the most part. terrible work ethics, running their mouth too much. its all about collecting a paycheck these days and not about doing police work. this seems to be a growing trend everywhere and i blame the other "soft" fto's who want to baby the rookies by making them feel like they are one of the boys without paying their dues.
    Please try not to generalize too much. I was currently hired and quite simply don't care about the paycheck. Sure, it's nice. But I was willing to do this job for free, and if I get laid off at my PD, then I will. Secondly, who are you to question any work ethics? Do you know me? Have you seen me work? Judge every trainee by themselves, not by the group.
    I generaliz what i want rookie so shut your face. I will do it for free, say that in about 8 years. So for now quick kissin azz and turn down the suck

Any information about how to prepare for the Detention Deputy test will be most appreciated!

HELP, NEED TO PASS DETENTION DEPUTY TEST!

Unregistered

FTO Memories

Some of my best years on the job was being a FTO. I enjoyed it. My goals were simple with each recruit. I wanted them to enjoy being a cop. Chasing bad guys was the game. I wanted them to run the show and allowed them to make mistakes without the fear of having everything documented. I had a third strike rule. We would talk it out twice allowing the teaching moment to sink in. The third strike resulted in documentation. I also told them that I would step in only if it was needed. This approach worked and allowed the recruit to relax and enjoy the job without the fear of negative comments on some useless form developed by the police academy. The other concept that I practiced was combating the negativity associated with assigning a numerical value to a task. After being told by the academy training officer that my numbers for the recruits were too high, I developed a different approach. At the beginning of the training cycle, I would explain to the recruit that we are going to play the numbers game. I wanted them to understand that these evaluations were somewhat of a joke and that we were going to play the numbers game. They knew in advance that regardless of how well they did at the beginning, I had to put a lower number down. Of course at the end, the numbers would be high. The end result was better performance and enthusiasm for the job. All the recruits became solid cops and had great careers. So if you have the chance to train, do so because you can make a difference. The future of law enforcement can be impacted by your influence.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12