Sheriff-elect subject of state scrutiny
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Senior Member LEO Affairs Captain

Angry Sheriff-elect subject of state scrutiny

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Cormier
    SARASOTA COUNTY - The state is investigating whether Sheriff-elect Tom Knight accepted improper campaign contributions from businesses that did not exist.

A few days before the election, state officials told Knight that they would begin a formal inquiry.

The Florida Elections Commission is conducting a civil investigation, with maximum possible sanctions of $1,000 fines per violation.

Knight says the campaign is going through its own books to make sure it complied with the law. "We are confident that we followed the elections rules," he said Tuesday.

In the months leading up to Election Day, several people filed complaints about Knight's campaign finances, calling for investigations into about 30 business contributors to Knight.

"The sad part of it is that we wanted to get this all done before the election," said James Hawkins, a local pastor.

These businesses did not exist because they were not registered with the state, the complaint says. Therefore, the businesses should not have been able to give money to Knight.

Campaign records show that some of the companies that gave to Knight are inactive, dissolved or nonexistent in a state database. But most of these businesses are registered in states other than Florida, which means they had a right to donate the maximum of $200.

One businessman cited in the complaints gave about $800 through corporations based in Georgia, Ohio, Washington, D.C., and elsewhere.

However, at least one local business appears to have given $50 after it dissolved in Florida. DK I Investments filed paperwork to formally stop doing business on May 20.

The check to Knight's campaign was received July 14.

David Kramer, who ran DK I Investments, said recently that the contribution was inadvertently sent after the company dissolved.

Knight says he would return the money if the state asks. "I would gladly bring him the check for $50," he said.
    Source
    "Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is SUCCESS." -- Henry Ford

Re: Sheriff-elect subject of state scrutiny

However, at least one local business appears to have given $50 after it dissolved in Florida. DK I Investments filed paperwork to formally stop doing business on May 20.

The check to Knight's campaign was received July 14

Isn't this great, what a start to four more corrupt years! This guys already starting out corrupt. Unreal!

Dunk, where are you??

I told you guys once, you have no idea what your in for with the Knight Family!

CORRUPT, CORRUPT, CORRUPT

Stand in his way, you are gone

Quote Originally Posted by FormerTrooper
    I told you guys once, you have no idea what your in for with the Knight Family!

CORRUPT, CORRUPT, CORRUPT

Stand in his way, you are gone
    It is what it is and we have what we have. We have no choice in the matter. The electors have overwhelmingly voted in their man of choice (Tom Knight) and we will have to live with it. If Sheriff-elect Tom Knight will take care of the troops, the agency and the public, then things will work out just fine.

I'm going to stay out of Tom Knight's way. If I happen to run into him, I'll be respectful and will help him to accomplish our mission. I did the same for Monge and it worked out great.

Tom Knight is elected. We need to come together now as a solidified team. You can't spell team with the letter I.

yea, we all have to work for him and your right, he is the guy people elected regardless of the corrupt way he raised his money to beat three other candidates. lets face one thing, he had to raise money he was the most unknown out of all three candidates and beat them all badly.

i will work for him and he will sign my check. thats where it stops.

he has to earn my respect and so far, he hasn't. i do my job so i aint worried about being fired or demoted as a sergeant. he cant do squat to me!

i personnally didnt like any of the 4 choices we had.

Quote Originally Posted by sso
    yea, we all have to work for him and your right, he is the guy people elected regardless of the corrupt way he raised his money to beat three other candidates.
    IMO Tom Knight was selected by the Sarasota GOP to run for office, so that's why so much money came in -- just like it did for Jeff Bell. The same sources that were on the Jeff Bell money list are the exact same sources on the Tom Knight money list. That's not necessarily a bad thing, unless you're on the losing end of the stick.

Ok, so the GOP selected Tom Knight -- and then Knight ran a good campaign by walking door-to-door (he really did have a good door-to-door campaign which reached a lot of people).

If the GOP had selected you, then would you verify EVERY business check that was written to you? And exactly how do you do that? I think that a lot of the money that was taken in from businesses was taken in "good faith," similar to the way we make arrests in "good faith." Our intention is good and we make the arrest based on the facts that we have at that moment. If future facts arise that indicates that the arrestee shouldn't have been arrested, then the case is tossed out of court. It doesn't mean that our arrest was illegal; it simply means that it didn't rise to the level of proof beyond a reasonable doubt. To make an arrest, all we need is probable cause, but to get a conviction, the prospector needs proof beyond a reasonable doubt.

lets face one thing, he had to raise money he was the most unknown out of all three candidates and beat them all badly.
    He was also a state trooper, which gave him legitimacy in the eyes of the GOP and, more importantly, in the eyes of the public. Additionally, he was only one of 12 in the state of Florida who held his particular executive-level rank. That's impressive in the eyes of the public.

You're right: Tom Knight is a complete outsider to the SSO, but he's not an outsider to Floridians. As a result, he owes NO allegiances to Bill Balkwill, Darrell Stinger, Tim Carney and others in the agency. He owes his allegiance first and foremost to those who elected him: the public.

i will work for him and he will sign my check. thats where it stops.
    That's how it usually stops with employment. However, I hope that we can become a family again, like it used to be. It's a pretty nasty world out there. We have to deal with nasty scumbags day in and day out. It would be nice to know that as soon as we pass through the magnetic metal doors and when it shuts behind us, we're safe. We're with family, once we get behind the magnetic doors. We can trust each other and can safely turn our backs on each other without getting back stabbed.

This is family. I've got your back covered. Do you have mine covered or am I exposed? It's time to get back to the business of law enforcement.

he has to earn my respect and so far, he hasn't.
    If you're suggesting that Tom Knight hasn't been sworn-in yet, then you're absolutely correct. Once he's sworn in, then it's time to start taking care of business and it's time to prove to the deputies that he knows how to sharpen a pencil because everybody's watching.

i do my job so i aint worried about being fired or demoted as a sergeant. he cant do squat to me!
    Trust me: you don't want to piss him off! I'm a supervisor too and it's important for us to set the right tone.

i personnally didnt like any of the 4 choices we had.
    We don't elect the sheriff. The public does. Welcome to Florida.

How do you guys know this is true? We dont its a probe! My bet is that its not true.

Where is Dunklee??? Where he should be home. retired, and far away from the sso!

If the GOP had selected you, then would you verify EVERY business check that was written to you? And exactly how do you do that? I think that a lot of the money that was taken in from businesses was taken in "good faith," similar to the way we make arrests in "good faith." Our intention is good and we make the arrest based on the facts that we have at that moment. If future facts arise that indicates that the arrestee shouldn't have been arrested, then the case is tossed out of court. It doesn't mean that our arrest was illegal; it simply means that it didn't rise to the level of proof beyond a reasonable doubt. To make an arrest, all we need is probable cause, but to get a conviction, the prospector needs proof beyond a reasonable doubt.
    Your comments make no sense? If we make an arrest in goof faith and then find evidence to the contrary, we go through the state attorney if the arrest has gone that far, and we can un-arrest if it hasn't.

That has little to do with the fact that Tom Knight signed the bottom of his election donation form which states that he personnally knew all donations were legit and some other wording. HE SIGNED HE KNEW?? So was he too quick to throw his signature on an state form and didn't check his donors out? Or did he just collect whatever someone gave him to secure his win? either way, it was wrong and speaks a lot about his ethics.

second, he was in a unique position with FHP and got promoted all the way up the line on his brothers OK. Remove Chris Knight from the FHP, and Tom Knight is just another flunkie trooper writing tickets. instead he became part of the knight world at FHP, which is why he is STILL being sued by former employees.

lets face it, we have 4-more years or ridicule to endure and he will continue to make us the laughter of the state.

Thanks Tom Knight!

Lightbulb Re: Sheriff-elect subject of state scrutiny

Either you're a part of the solution or your a part of the problem. Tom Knight is the victor and he'll do an outstanding job as sheriff.

Seriously, the election is over. All over. Let it freaking go.

It... is... finished!!!

Get on board the train!!!! All aboard!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

Here's the deal and it's been said already. Knight is the new Sheriff. There's nothing we can do about it. Just like Obama is our new President. There's nothing we can do about. The people have spoken and that's what this country is all about. It no longer matters NOW who you supported. What's important NOW is that we all support the new Sheriff, give him the benefit of the doubt right now. Let him hang himself, if that's what's going to happen. But right now he comes in with a clean slate. Does not matter how he got elected. he did, and that's that. We can't change it.

But what is really important is that we watch, we listen, and we respond. If we don't like what he does, then you have to decide what YOU have to do. It's silly and stupid to (cut off your nose to spite your face) get yourself in trouble or get a reputation as a complainer or malcontent right off the bat. And threaten your future. If you do your job and do itright, follow orders, don't do anyting stupid. You will be just fine. Does not matter who is Sheriff if you do that.

This also brings up a personal issue for me. This is just another example why a Sheriff should be appointed and NOT elected. We would not have these problems if a Sheriff was appoionted. We would not have Sheriff' abusing their powers, building long term power bases, owing favors, etc. An appointed Sheriff would be accountable, an elected Sheriff is not. I know this is Florida and that's the way it is. But if a lot of people want it changed it can be done. An appointed Sheriff would also eliminate the issue of infuence from political parties and campaign contributions. It makes no sense or difference, in a Sheriff's race, if the candidate is a republican or a democrat.

When you are Sheriff you are not dealing with abortion rights, foriegn policy, gay rights and all other issues that cross party lines. As Sheriff you are dealing with crime. That's it. And crime is not a party issue. It does not matter if a scum bag is a republican or a democrat....he's a scum bag. That's it. An Appointed Sheriff would not have to deal with, worry about or have to hassle with party politics.

So we have to wait and see what happens. Be respectful to the rank, and hope and pray that all works out. What we can't do is split this department any further, cause moral to sink further, and tear the fiber of this department apart. If WE want a top notch department, respected around the state and the nation, then WE are the only ones that can do it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast