Traffic "ticket slowdown" costs 1.1 million dollars
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Senior Member LEO Affairs Captain

Angry Traffic "ticket slowdown" costs 1.1 million dollars

Quote Originally Posted by Terry O'Connor, North Port Assistant Editor, Charlotte Sun and Weekly Herald
    SARASOTA COUNTY — Cops writing fewer traffic tickets have created a $1 million shortfall in Sarasota County revenues.

Sarasota County Clerk of Court Karen Rushing said drivers are slowing down in the sluggish economy, which means less money for court and state services funded from traffic citation revenues. At the present pace, motorists will pay $1.08 million less in Sarasota County traffic tickets this year.

"We are estimating between a 20 percent and 21 percent decline," Rushing said.

The trend is not altogether new, Rushing said.

"I noticed the decline in filing tickets last year and wondered if there was a change and this trend would continue," Rushing said. "We have known the volume of revenue was dropping and have been reporting it at a statewide level."

Rushing said...
    Click here for the full story.
    "Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is SUCCESS." -- Henry Ford

Re: Traffic "ticket slowdown" costs 1.1 million dollars

Isn't a "ticket slowdown" a union way of protesting upper management? Hey Billy Balkwill, are you listening??? Nope!!! You're not!!! You never have!!!

Balkwill, your days in office are numbered. Let the door hit you on your arse on the way out. Please! :evil:

I love traffic and do not mind writting tickets. The truth is that patrol has been so busy that there is little to no down time anymore to hunt. Also, with the price of the tickets I excersise a lot more discretion and find myself giving more people a break. The other issue is court. I have not been to traffic court in a while. But I heard that there has been some rulings against us where the defendant should have lost. What's up with that? Anyway, I do not think it's intetnional. I think its a combination of a few things.

Quote Originally Posted by the beatings will continue until morale improves
    Isn't a "ticket slowdown" a union way of protesting upper management? Hey Billy Balkwill, are you listening??? Nope!!! You're not!!! You never have!!!

Balkwill, your days in office are numbered. Let the door hit you on your arse on the way out. Please! :evil:
    You are a moron and don't deserve to wear the badge. Enough of the public trashing of the sheriff.

The sheriff needs to create aN I-75 squad (ex-troopers) and let them run loose....that would pick up the revenue.......

Why doesn't the clerk just manage their budget better? Traffic enforcement should not be about creating revenue. It should be about safety. There are other ways to create revenue. Writing tickets to make money sounds greedy. That might be an ethics/morality/religious (greed) issue. A burned out $2.00 taillight does not warrant an $89.00 fine to a single working mother. I am interested in police work, but I am a man and a human being first.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    The sheriff needs to create aN I-75 squad (ex-troopers) and let them run loose....that would pick up the revenue.......

Youre an idiot. Like a Trooper driving up and down an Interstate is any more qualified than a Deputy Sheriff. Did you actually put thought into that before you opened your mouth. Now go crawl back under your rock moron. I cant believe some of the crap that comes out of people's mouth. :roll:

Does it really matter what raod you are on? You can go anywhere in this county and write tickets. local,county or state roads. Tickets are down becasue Call volume is Wayyyyy up and the economy SUKKKSSSS.

As I read these posts it makes me proud to work with you guys. You do use discretion and know that some people just made a mistake and do not not need a ticket to make a point. I pull over just as many people as before but I am very mindful of considering all the factors before I write a ticket. If you have a cooperative driver who just made a mistake and tells you that his business is slow and he has not worked in a few weeks, I do not see a reason to write him a ticket. If the prices were lower, maybe. But not at the current rate. I do not see a reason to write the poor guy. There are people that do need a ticket or two. We all ran itno them. But an avarage citizen who is nice and kind and just can't afford it usually a warning is enough. Discretion is a good thing. It for a good cop. I'm glad to see my brothers and sisters use it.

Everyone can put on a happy face and give a sob story, so does that mean you give everyone a break? Try using DAVID for a change to help make your decision, not their sweet little sob story. If that sweet little old lady is crying about how she cant afford her medicine because you ticketing her, yet she shows 10 tickets in the last six months for speeding, guess what grandma you're gettin another. Sorry folks, it sounds cold hearted, but that how this game is played. If you want to be a kindergarten cop, go work in SRO and leave this stuff to us. I'm not saying you're not a real cop, not at all, but some people have a harder time sleeping at night when they have to be the bad guy on stops. I have some criteria that I use to determine whether or not to full boat.

Radar Detector = full boat
    Children in Vehicle = full boat
    Arrogant = full boat
    History of Speeding = full boat
    Excessive Speeding (30+) = full boat
    DUI = full boat + any and all non moving

So you see, if you're a nice person with no radar detector, you'll probably catch a break and get the reduced fine. Written warning are a waste of time and ink, so why on earth would you even bother?

WOW!!!!! So now SROs are not real cops? Wow, you are a big man cause you're not an SRO. Maybe we all like diffrent aspects of this job. Just because you would not be SRO it doesn't make me any less of a person. Nice attitude traffic boy. I guess it takes a real man to write an old lady a ticket. You scare me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast