SSO Deputy Ken Turner resigns: Accused of prescription fraud
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Senior Member LEO Affairs Captain

Angry SSO Deputy Ken Turner resigns: Accused of prescription fraud

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Cormier, Herald-Tribune
    SARASOTA COUNTY - A Sarasota sheriff's deputy quit his job and is under criminal investigation for doctor shopping after being accused of obtaining thousands of prescription pills.

Deputy Ken Turner resigned in the midst of an internal affairs investigation. The inquiry showed that Turner obtained pills and visited pharmacies in his sheriff's uniform.

Legal observers say the allegations may jeopardize criminal cases worked by Turner, and local defense attorneys plan to review his role in several trials.

Internal affair was tipped off to potential drug use when he was prescribed oxycodone.

When Turner did not tell his supervisors about the prescription, investigators began to check out local pharmacies, looking for instances where the deputy was obtaining drugs.

They found that between July and September, Turner received 24 prescriptions and 1,737 pills.

A few days later, internal investigators turned over their findings to criminal detectives.

Turner could not be reached for comment.
    Click here for the full story.
    "Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is SUCCESS." -- Henry Ford

Re: SSO Deputy Ken Turner resigns: Accused of prescription fraud

Hi Anthony,

While I know it is your responsibility to report these things.. YOU left out a very important piece to this story…. Mr. Turner has entered himself into a drug rehabilitation facility two days after he resigned… Mr. Turner’s issue’s started with one of those doctors… Could you have possibly printed the scores of people who get addicted to these drugs while recovering from operations? Could you have possibly printed that this is a white collar crime? Could you have possibly told the readers that this happens to Doctors… lawyers…Joe the plumber… EVEN a deputy.. While I love to read the Herald Tribune, I think you look more for sensationalism rather than putting the human aspect before the readers… so that they can judge for themselves….

I got an idea… WHY don’t you print a story about the MANY, many Dr. Feel Goods that are out there prescribing without a shred of common sense? Or how about the scores of Dr.’s out there who are seeing and prescribing for these people simply out of greed…

I know you are thinking that I am a family member… I am not. I am a person who has seen this happen to lots of people… Many of whom you might know.. Doctors, their wives, lawyers… LOTS. I think it’s time to concentrate on how these things happen rather than persecute those who have little control over this when they are suffering and get addicted before they know what happened..

I don’t expect a response from you since I know you will claim it is only your job… I hope something beyond your control never happens to you and you have to read about it in your own rag…

AN EMAIL SENT TO THE REPORTER...

I am a personal friend of the Turners... before you post please consider the difficulty of this situation for his family and child. Ken Turner WAS and IS still a good guy... A victim of this addiction... SO before you put in your two cents consider that but for the Grace of GOD, it could be you... Thank you ... A fellow brother

Quote Originally Posted by Get Real
    Could you have possibly printed that this is a white collar crime?
    I've arrested people for prescription fraud. What exactly do you mean by "white collar crime"? Whenever we get calls about people fraudulently/illegally getting controlled drugs at pharmacies, should we not arrest them because it's a white collar crime? What exactly are you saying???

Saying it does not mean they are dirt bags... It can happen to Lawyers... Doctors... Doctors wives... Deputy's... YOU...

I probably should have worded that statement differently but I think most get the idea...

This addiction is not isolated to any specific group of people..

NO ONE is saying that anyone should not be arrested... that was not the message at ALL.. I am a bit confused as to how you could have interpretted that? NO ONE is saying Ken should not be arrested.

Stating a fact.... Most of these folks who get addicted to these pain medications get addicted without knowing it and without control over it...

MY 76 year old step father got addicted to oxycodone after a knee surgery.... and the DR. kept prescribing... Where is the fault there??? My stepfather retired as a CEO of a major airline company... Made hundreds of thousands of dollars.... and he is not untouchable even at 76.. This was my point.. Get it?

I think what he was trying to say is this: K Turner may have allegedly doctor shopped, he may have done it because of an addiction that arose from the recovery of painful shoulder injury. In other words, he wasn't breaking into cars, robbing 711's ect. He may have got caught up in a situation beyond his control. Like the above posted wrote, many people in all walks of life can become addicted to these pills. Some people commit burglary's, robbery's or other types of henious acts to get the pills. K turner may have chose the path in a manner that was wrong, but was neccesary in his mind.
    There are many famous people who have fought this addiction and although it was a mistake on their part and as wells as Ken's, it can happen to anyone.
    I wish the best for Ken and I'm sure he will beat this addiction. He is a good guy and deserves all of our support.
    We all know being in this profession the abuse that is occurring out there. The statement of Doctors, lawyers, attorneys, and even cops are not immune from this addiction.

A friend

Ken, if you are reading, good luck to you brother. I know how hard this must be for you and your family. It looks like you have a few supporters here and I want to add myself to that list. I will get in touch with you personally so you know who I am. I would like to challenge the rest of you to get behind this guy and wish him the best! For once, lets encourage a fellow brother (former). Lets try to understand how difficult this must be. I can't imagine having to look for another career to replace this one in this economy.
    Ken, I hope my co-workers will show you some compassion and reach out to you here or otherwise and let you know that we hope the best for you. When times are tough, you only have each other to count on.

Your Friend

I wish the best for Ken I like him. Is there a place where an officer in his situtaion could have gone for help and not have gotten fired?

I like Ken, but I've arrested too many people for doctor shopping and I frankly can't have any mercy in this case. If he wants to take a plea deal with the state to "get help," then I have no problem with that -- but I've seen too much prescription fraud to have a forgiving heart for that sort of stuff. Make the arrest and then let him work out a deal...

Quote Originally Posted by cold hearted cop
    I like Ken, but I've arrested too many people for doctor shopping and I frankly can't have any mercy in this case. If he wants to take a plea deal with the state to "get help," then I have no problem with that -- but I've seen too much prescription fraud to have a forgiving heart for that sort of stuff. Make the arrest and then let him work out a deal...

i hope i find out who you are!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast