Mega-mall OK'd for north Sarasota County

Senior Member LEO Affairs Captain

Angry Mega-mall OK'd for north Sarasota County

This is posted because this will be one of the largest mega-malls in Florida and will eventually generate calls-for-service:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sara Kennedy, Bradenton Herald-Tribune
    SARASOTA COUNTY — State officials approved a mega-mall -- University Town Center is planned for 276 acres near Interstate 75 and University Parkway and calls for retail and office space, along with residential and hotel rooms.

Plans call for 1.7 million square feet of retail and office space and 500 hotel rooms.

Benderson is the largest privately-owned retail development company in the United States.

We’ll file immediately for a permit...
    Click here for the full story.
    "Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is SUCCESS." -- Henry Ford

Re: Mega-mall OK'd for north Sarasota County

I remember when I75 was first built in Sarasota County and University Parkway was first paved as a 6 lane highway. Both were completely empty of traffic, but now both are gridlocked with traffic. The only calls we got at I75 & University were for hog hunters or illegal fishing.

Plans call for 500 hotel rooms.
    This is going to put all those seedy motels on the trail out of business ---- or they'll get even seedier! How much does it cost to rent a room for 15 minutes in one of those seedy motels? If I rent it for 30 minutes, then is there a discount? :shock: :lol:

[quote=News Flash]This is posted because this will be one of the largest mega-malls in Florida and will eventually generate calls-for-service:
    Quote Originally Posted by "Sara Kennedy, Bradenton Herald-Tribune":13ocgqw1
    SARASOTA COUNTY — State officials approved a mega-mall -- University Town Center is planned for 276 acres near Interstate 75 and University Parkway and calls for retail and office space, along with residential and hotel rooms.

Plans call for 1.7 million square feet of retail and office space and 500 hotel rooms.

Benderson is the largest privately-owned retail development company in the United States.

We’ll file immediately for a permit...
    Click here for the full story.[/quote:13ocgqw1]
    I can't figure out why Benderson is investing so heavily in that area. Yeaa it's a corridor to the airport, the beaches and downtown Sarasota, but is there really that much money here??? All that new retail space might drain all the business out of downtown Sarasota or Benderson will eventually have a bunch of empty retail space that they can't keep filled. It might start out with a bang and end with a bust. There's only so many shoppers in the area and shopping plazas in Sarasota County are already half empty. Businesses are going belly up, so why is Benderson hellbent on building now?

You have got to be kidding Lake Wood Ranch willbe its own city shortly and PD there to follow. You would have to work up there to see this. Sarasota Mannatee are just like Seminole and Orange and Osceola counties( Orlando area on I-4) You can leave one county and ot even know it. With SRQ there also. Even Fruitville and I-75 are booming. This area is great and even better for the economy. More jobs and more tax money for our county.

Lightbulb Re: Mega-mall OK'd for north Sarasota County

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Sarasota Mannatee are just like Seminole and Orange and Osceola counties( Orlando area on I-4) You can leave one county and ot even know it. With SRQ there also. Even Fruitville and I-75 are booming. This area is great and even better for the economy. More jobs and more tax money for our county.
    Sarasota County is booming??? Have you looked around at all the shopping plazas lately??? Their all about 50% empty. This includes the plazas at:
    - university & LWR
    - 17th & LWR
    - Bee Ridge & Beneva
    - Bee Ridge & Cattleman
    - Central Sarasota Pkwy & S. Trail
    - Laurel & S. Trail
    - etc.

With all those empty storefronts, why are we building a jazzalion more storefronts??? We can't fill what we have now....

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    You have got to be kidding Lake Wood Ranch willbe its own city shortly and PD there to follow. You would have to work up there to see this.
    The days of cities starting-up their own police departments in Florida ended about 50 years ago. There might be one or two exceptions to the rule, but it's pretty much over because it's too expensive. Besides, when you leave the city limit, you still get municipal services aka municipal service taxing units (MSTUs). All of the unincorporated urban areas get municipal services that are provided by the county.

Lakewood Ranch has the infrastructure to support incorporation, but creating their own police department isn't going to be approved by Lakewood Ranch residents. Wishful thinking on your part. If I'm wrong, then I'll buy you a hamburger and iced tea at Benegans.

Your talking about run down areas with old shopping centers as to an actual MALL built by a muti million dollar corporation. Responsible for the Sawgrass mall in Ft. Lauderale, The Altoamonte Springs Amll in off I-4 which have shown to be a HUGE burst for the economy in those areas. That is like apples to Oranges. Look at the ANCIENT Robarts that place needs to go as well. I agree tear em down and make it a Condominium whtever..

I would generally agree with you on the PD concept but with that city infrastructure and money there in. It will suprpass Bradenton and Pallmetto. That will most likely eventually be the County Seat for Manatee. The entire observation from us as a cop doest account to what a Marketting and Corporation sees. This is Sarasota. Land of the Rich,,,,You might disagree but that is the perception Statewide and even Nationally when it comes to Florida. We are just little fish in a BIG pond my friend.

Oh and Can I have cheese on that Burger. Were the only ones who actually kept Bennegins

Hey 2nd and 3rd floor. Do you ever do any police work? Looks like you have a lot of time to go shopping….Maybe the new sheriff will find something LE related for you to do.

The I75 University Parkway corridor is one of the fastest growing areas in the tri county area. This merchant area isn’t going to be a strip mall like the areas you mentioned. (Apelles to Oranges)
    With the median house price at 400 to 500 K in Lakewood Ranch and the surrounding development the area will support much more than planned. Besides, if they break ground next year it will be 2 or 3, maybe even 4 years before this thing is done. I suspect the economy will improve a bit by then.

Your thinking is a bit short sighted there Sparky. Maybe that is the problem there at the SSO. Short sighted slow thinking administrators like you. Think a little before you post next time. You look a little out of touch.

By the way if those folks in LWR want a PD they will have one. They are already doing the research....

Quote Originally Posted by SPD
    Plans call for 500 hotel rooms.
    This is going to put all those seedy motels on the trail out of business ---- or they'll get even seedier! How much does it cost to rent a room for 15 minutes in one of those seedy motels? If I rent it for 30 minutes, then is there a discount? :shock: :lol:
    Those are rhetorical questions, right? Don't act like you don't know the answer to either or both :lol: