Question, need Help ?

Question, need Help ?

I am a P.O. in south florida and tI'm hinkning about re-locating to PSL. I have gathered information about your agency as far as retirement / healthcare. The department looks like a good place to work. However I have a couple of minor questions.

- How is the moral in the Department and especially on the Road ?

- Are off-duty details available?

- Are camera's installed in the patrol units?

- Does the department offer shift differentials and or other percentages?

I would greatly appreciate the help with these Q's and any other info you can tell me. It is a hard decision to make when your planning on leaving everything you know behind for the sake of "quality of life" but family takes priority.

Thanks and stay safe.......

There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it,
    never care for anything else ... Ernest Hemingway

Unhappy Re: Question, need Help ?

Any help would greatly be appreciated and would help us allot with our decision....

Re: Question, need Help ?

How is the moral in the Department and especially on the Road ?

some would say the moral sucks but if your not *****ing your not happy. Usually the *****es come from those who generate their own *****ing so....a ten dollar bill is the same worht here as it is the same worth in Texas.
    - Are off-duty details available?
    They are available but not paid into your paycheck

- Are camera's installed in the patrol units?

Yes some do, typically the senior guys not newer people. Budget cut pretty much stopped that snowball
    - Does the department offer shift differentials and or other percentages?
    Yes, there is Midnights pay, I Think a dollar or so an hour, CSI pay which is a dollar or so, detective, fto...the usual

I would greatly appreciate the help with these Q's and any other info you can tell me. It is a hard decision to make when your planning on leaving everything you know behind for the sake of "quality of life" but family takes priority.

Its a big Dept, your not getting shot at all the time, but your also not going insane from lack of work. This is the time to move because our housing has dropped dramactically, what people just a few short years ago paid 250,000 for is going for 119,00. Theres like 6000 homes vacant and banks are sellling houses for cheesburgers and tacos. Give a call up here, do a ride along and see, come talk to some people.....hope this helps

THANKS FOR THE INFO. I APPRECIATE IT. I ALREADY PICKED UP AN APPLICATION. PLEASE KEEP THE INFO COMING. THE MORE I KNOW ABOUT THE AGENCY THE MORE IT WILL HELP ME.

STAY SAFE....

Right now also in the agency is a good time to do whatever your intersted in. Were looking for detectives, SRO's, FTO's, Traffic related offciers, District support and so on. Its usually not by seniority but what your experience is....theres people not off probation that get into specialized units because of their background or prior's. I would recommend a ride along if you had the time, Recruiting should be sble to assist in who you should go ride with.

Three questions, How is your psycological exam administered ? Is it a 7 hour true or false test or is it an interview ? When you are dispatched to a call are the vehicles equipped with a mapping system ? I looked at a map of the city and their doesn't seem to be any numericals, it's just all names. Finally are all reports done on computer or traffic reports written by hand ?

Thanks for the help.

The Phyc. last I remember is an interview, Yes we have laptops and 90% or so fo the work is done via laptop; reports, running itmes, email, overtime, off duty details, dispatching screen and so forth. As far as a mapping system everyone individually bought Microsoft streets and trips and or a Garmin. While training I think you have to use a map, depends on the mood of the fto that day I guess? :twisted: