Don't lose sight of your job - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Don't lose sight of your job

I agree with Roady also. I didn't get in this field to be rich. But, many people have no college degree and still make over $50k per year. In many fields, you need a 4 or 6 year degree to get that. Luckily, my wife has a good paying job also, so we do pretty good financially. People, not just here, need to live within thier means. I am WAY better off now than when I was in the military. We all knew exactly what the job was, what the pay was, and what benefits we had well before we accepted a position here.

Instead of complaining, go get a degree and take a promotion test if you want more inout and more money. Be part of the solution, not the problem.

I believe you said it. Prior military know what its like when were made to live within our means. There wasn't any debate over money, you had to wait for a raise, get promoted, or leave. We went a long time after Reagan without a raise..Looong time. We just did what we do best .....we went to work and hoped for the best. But then again, I guess some people never have had to sacrifice for anything.

Sheriff to Run Jail

Posted: 5:28 PM Jun 17, 2008
    Last Updated: 8:32 PM Jun 17, 2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sheriff Will Run Co. Jail

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A | A | ACorrections Corporation of America is leaving town, and the sheriff's office will soon be back in charge of the Bay County Jail.

The Bay County commissioners took the legal step necessary for Sheriff Frank McKeithen to start the process of taking over by approving an ordinance making him the chief corrections officer of Bay County, and Sheriff McKeithen and the commissioners are both happy with the partnership.

CCA's decision to opt out of its contract with Bay County left the board of commissioners looking for a replacement. They didn't have to go very far to find the right fit.

Jerry Girvin, Bay County Commission Chairman, said, "Sheriff's traditionally run jails. They ran the jail in Bay County from 1913 till the early 80’s. They have a lot of resources at their beckon call. If there is a problem at the jail they have a lot of folks with guns that are immediately available. Because he is an elected official, he is more amenable to people in the community."

That confidence in the sheriff's office to run the jail made it a relatively quick decision for the commission. Just weeks after asking him to see if he could do it, Sheriff Frank McKeithen came back with a plan.

His proposal asked for $50.79 a day per inmate to run the jail. That totals an estimated $17,855,000 a year.

The commissioners knew there would be an increase, but that increase should keep correction officers in Bay County.

"They now work for a government entity. There are other bennies that are required, like high hazard retirement and health benefits, things of that nature. So, we're going into it knowing that that's going to be, but we feel like the overall end result will be less turnover and therefore less security issues."

The sheriff has already started preparations for takeover of the jail, and he wants everyone including inmates to know that there's a new operation in town.

Sheriff Frank McKeithen added, "We're going to take over and run this jail the way we run the sheriff's office. Then we're going to manage it the same way. We're going to be efficient, but yet we're going to get the best services we can get. So, there's a lot to be done and we're not going to slow down."

CCA's last day will be October 9. The sheriff's office will formally take over then. McKeithen says he has applications prepared to give out as soon as tomorrow.

Find this article at:
    http://www.wjhg.com/home/headlines/20100544.html

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Corrections Corp of America runs Bay, Hernando, and Citrus County Jails just to name a few. Wonder how many millions could be saved.
    Why do jail haters always insist on trying to scare us into believing that the jail is going to privatize? Take a look at this and see that privatization isn't a reality based comment.
    http://www.dc.state.fl.us/pub/jails/2000/table2.html Just in case you didn't notice we are one of the seven largest jails in the state and I am guessing that number is a little too big for a company that couldn't manage a 881 inmate population. Bay and Hernando are really small. By the way Hernando had a rash of suicides awhile back due to insufficient training. Do you think the Sheriff wants that headache or liability? Hey maybe I should tell you annexation could make the road shrink to such a small area that you would lose your job. Less unincorporated area = less deputies needed. (By the way I am not sure this is true but it sounds good and it might worry some road deputy and boy that is a whole lot of fun yiiipppeeee!!!!) Let's try to be on the same team and make informative comments Please. Maybe if we support each the other the powers that be would have to take notice and treat us all a little better.

Yeah can't we all just get along!

Quote Originally Posted by SPS5592
    I believe you said it. Prior military know what its like when were made to live within our means. There wasn't any debate over money, you had to wait for a raise, get promoted, or leave. We went a long time after Reagan without a raise..Looong time. We just did what we do best .....we went to work and hoped for the best. But then again, I guess some people never have had to sacrifice for anything.

Well I see you didn't stay in the military, why not? Could it be the lack of compensation? I served 4 yrs in the military also and left after my enlistment ended. Why compare this agency to the military? We have much higher standards than than military, only 10% of all applicants for L.E. are hired. Do you want a bunch of 19yr olds running this place? Ohh and just look at the turn over rate for the armed forces.

If Jones is the answer...what the HELL was the question???

Michael Moore makes a lot of noise...no one takes him seriously.

Rosie O'Donnell makes a lot of noise...no one takes her seriously.

Al Sharpton makes a lot of noise...no one takes him seriously.

The Randall Jones tribe makes a lot of noise...no one, and I mean no one, takes any of them seriously.

Remember the last time you said that, Jones took over 61 percent of the vote. Coats is concern with the force of Jones’ campaign. So stop kidding yourself. Remember that you only have one vote this time too. The last time you wasted it on Pik, so don’t waste this one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12