Yearly Fitness Test - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Yearly Fitness Test

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    I am continually disheartened by the constant complaining regarding the new fitness requirements at the HCSO. The Sheriff clearly stated after the union was voted out that he was going to implement the master deputy and master detective positions...BUT...unlike our brothers at TPD, just time-on would not guarantee you the status change. The sheriff said that employees would have to EARN the distinction (education, clean IA record, and fitness). Since this $3000/year raise is not currently in your salary, and you have to earn it, I do not see what all the whining is about. It is no secret that the administration wants the face of the Sheriff's Office to change...look at SOT. Before a recruit is even allowed to attend the academy and represent HCSO, he must complete the two week orientation which is very physically demanding. The Sheriff and Chief want deputies that the community can be proud of. Being a fantastic investigator is great and is needed, but look at the Gasparilla parade or a Bucs game when you get a large group of deputies in uniform together...frankly, it is embarassing to see so many out of shape cops. Being a cop is no longer a blue collar profession, and IMAGE IS IMPORTANT! At many large and professional agencies, the new breed of cop is college educated and IN SHAPE! Just remember that in a time of natural disaster or terrorism, we will all be wearing green and doing street level police work. Our employees need to have some simblance of strength, and shuffling ones feet for 2.5 miles and doing THREE WHOLE pull-ups and jumping a wall is not too much to ask of any cop! The secrets out, and if you were unable to complete the fitness challenge this year, work at it, and better luck next year. If you make it next year, you will have truly earned your incentive.
    ***Now to all of the disgruntled employees, go ahead and whine, and call me a naive company man, but everyhing I said is the truth.
    As a former "fatty" (I lost 55 pounds over the past 6 months), I can tell you that the difference in perception has been noticeable for me. Not just with the public, but also with other Deputies. I don't get the usual "I hope you're not my x94...EVER" look from the street level night shift guys like I used to get. Ironically, even though I was (and still am a little) overweight, I never struggled with the PAT and always turned in a time within 30 seconds of 3:00.

I do think the fitness challenge would have went over better with a little more time and education. When you're overweight OR out of shape (the two don't necessarily go hand in hand), it takes willpower to change but it also takes knowledge. Unless you've experienced a life changing event, it's tough to abruptly change a lifetime of learned habits without some assistance.

Something as simple as a PDF sent via email to everyone detailing each "step" of the challenge along with recommended exercises to improve your results for each step would probably be very beneficial. I've seen plenty of "skinny" people that couldn't do a pull-up which I believe strengthens my suggestion that the challenge requires specific skills that can be improved with specific exercises.

Quote Originally Posted by fltoddy
    I am continually disheartened by the constant complaining regarding the new fitness requirements at the HCSO. The Sheriff clearly stated after the union was voted out that he was going to implement the master deputy and master detective positions...BUT...unlike our brothers at TPD, just time-on would not guarantee you the status change. The sheriff said that employees would have to EARN the distinction (education, clean IA record, and fitness). Since this $3000/year raise is not currently in your salary, and you have to earn it, I do not see what all the whining is about. It is no secret that the administration wants the face of the Sheriff's Office to change...look at SOT. Before a recruit is even allowed to attend the academy and represent HCSO, he must complete the two week orientation which is very physically demanding. The Sheriff and Chief want deputies that the community can be proud of. Being a fantastic investigator is great and is needed, but look at the Gasparilla parade or a Bucs game when you get a large group of deputies in uniform together...frankly, it is embarassing to see so many out of shape cops. Being a cop is no longer a blue collar profession, and IMAGE IS IMPORTANT! At many large and professional agencies, the new breed of cop is college educated and IN SHAPE! Just remember that in a time of natural disaster or terrorism, we will all be wearing green and doing street level police work. Our employees need to have some simblance of strength, and shuffling ones feet for 2.5 miles and doing THREE WHOLE pull-ups and jumping a wall is not too much to ask of any cop! The secrets out, and if you were unable to complete the fitness challenge this year, work at it, and better luck next year. If you make it next year, you will have truly earned your incentive.
    ***Now to all of the disgruntled employees, go ahead and whine, and call me a naive company man, but everyhing I said is the truth.
    As a former "fatty" (I lost 55 pounds over the past 6 months), I can tell you that the difference in perception has been noticeable for me. Not just with the public, but also with other Deputies. I don't get the usual "I hope you're not my x94...EVER" look from the street level night shift guys like I used to get. Ironically, even though I was (and still am a little) overweight, I never struggled with the PAT and always turned in a time within 30 seconds of 3:00.

I do think the fitness challenge would have went over better with a little more time and education. When you're overweight OR out of shape (the two don't necessarily go hand in hand), it takes willpower to change but it also takes knowledge. Unless you've experienced a life changing event, it's tough to abruptly change a lifetime of learned habits without some assistance.

Something as simple as a PDF sent via email to everyone detailing each "step" of the challenge along with recommended exercises to improve your results for each step would probably be very beneficial. I've seen plenty of "skinny" people that couldn't do a pull-up which I believe strengthens my suggestion that the challenge requires specific skills that can be improved with specific exercises.

So what you are saying is a master deputy or master detective is not about the knowledge they may have as they are not even tested on this, but how they look.....which they are tested on.

Is it just me or am I the only one that believes this administration is all about looking good and nothing about providing the citizens with the highest trained and most knowledgeable deputies available.

So what you are saying is a master deputy or master detective is not about the knowledge they may have as they are not even tested on this, but how they look.....which they are tested on.

Is it just me or am I the only one that believes this administration is all about looking good and nothing about providing the citizens with the highest trained and the most knowledgeable deputies available.

Is it just me or am I the only one that believes this administration is all about looking good and nothing about providing the citizens with the highest trained and the most knowledgeable deputies available.
    When it gets right down to it..............would it have been so horrible to let people know in advance about what was going to be expected to make Master Detective or Master Deputy. Would it also have been so bad to give your people a chance to physically prepare for the course and/or let them work out during work hours, if they chose to lets say spend their lunch hour hitting the gym. Instead there was no notice given and the answer is always "no" when asking if one can work out during lunch. If the office is so concerned about the image of it's employees, then why were they not given the chance to get better physically fit before making them complete the fitness challenge. Communication could have gone a long way into making the whole process much much better.

I'm not saying it's not about knowledge, I'm saying that perception, like it or not, is part of what John Q. Public uses when deciding how to interact / react to a law enforcement officer. I reminded of the routine Jeff Foxworthy does where he says that you don't want to be wheeled into brain surgery and hear the surgeon talking with a thick southern accent. "What we're gonna do is cut his haid right here..." That doesn't mean there aren't any brain surgeons with a redneck accent, it just means that perception means a lot.

Having said that, I agree that it would make more sense for there to also be a test of a Deputy's knowledge in addition to the fitness challenge. I also agree that if it's important enough to test on, it's important enough to make it as easy as possible for Deputies to exercise before, during, or after their shift.

I'm not saying it's not about knowledge, I'm saying that perception, like it or not, is part of what John Q. Public uses when deciding how to interact / react to a law enforcement officer. I reminded of the routine Jeff Foxworthy does where he says that you don't want to be wheeled into brain surgery and hear the surgeon talking with a thick southern accent. "What we're gonna do is cut his haid right here..." That doesn't mean there aren't any brain surgeons with a redneck accent, it just means that perception means a lot.

Having said that, I agree that it would make more sense for there to also be a test of a Deputy's knowledge in addition to the fitness challenge. I also agree that if it's important enough to test on, it's important enough to make it as easy as possible for Deputies to exercise before, during, or after their shift.

Hey "fltoddy" congrats on loosin' 55 pounds over the last six months my man. I have'nt seen ya out there in awhile on my shift but ya can x94 me anytime brother, regardless of how much ya weight. Be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by The Nitely Blog
    Hey "fltoddy" congrats on loosin' 55 pounds over the last six months my man. I have'nt seen ya out there in awhile on my shift but ya can x94 me anytime brother, regardless of how much ya weight. Be safe.
    Thanks man! It's nice to be able to cut my own toe nails....

I've been riding 3rd shift / D4 at least two Fridays a month, still plugging away and trying to look useful. PM me if you're working a different zone / shift since I saw you last and I'll look you up next time I'm out. I'm cheating this week and working in D2, but I'll be back in D4 in a couple of weeks.

I'm burning a lot more calories trying to learn how to use the new MDT, first time in my life I'd rather do 3 pull ups versus a x28/x29.....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123