Failure to pay red light ticket = Home seizure

Senior Member LEO Affairs Captain

Failure to pay red light ticket = Home seizure

Quote Originally Posted by thenewspaper.com
    Sarasota County, Florida hopes to seize homes from the owners of vehicles accused of not paying a red light camera ticket.

Sarasota County Commissioners unanimously voted on Tuesday to move forward on a proposed ordinance authorizing the seizure of the home belonging to anyone accused of not paying a red light camera ticket. The commissioners must now hold another public hearing and vote on the issue before beginning the process of installing the cameras.

"Failure to pay any amounts provided for under this article may result in the filing of a lien against the property of the registered owner," the proposed red light camera ordinance states. "Such lien shall be subject to foreclosure as provided by law."
    Click here for the full story.
    "Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is SUCCESS." -- Henry Ford

Re: Failure to pay red light ticket = Home seizure

[quote=News Flash]
    Quote Originally Posted by "thenewspaper.com":10p6kcwt
    Sarasota County, Florida hopes to seize homes from the owners of vehicles accused of not paying a red light camera ticket.

Sarasota County Commissioners unanimously voted on Tuesday to move forward on a proposed ordinance authorizing the seizure of the home belonging to anyone accused of not paying a red light camera ticket. The commissioners must now hold another public hearing and vote on the issue before beginning the process of installing the cameras.

"Failure to pay any amounts provided for under this article may result in the filing of a lien against the property of the registered owner," the proposed red light camera ordinance states. "Such lien shall be subject to foreclosure as provided by law."
    Click here for the full story.[/quote:10p6kcwt]

This is insane considering that Florida has the highest rate of foreclosures in the country at the moment. Do we really need MORE homes going back to the banks?

What kind of a numbnuts would refuse to pay a traffic citation? If they refuse to pay, then they probably don't have a house to seize.

Will this be up for a vote in the public? It sounds like and idea that the county can't afford. Do we need to hire an attorney ( to file court lien documents) to make a person pay for a $80 dollar ticket where the witness is a fuzzy camera, and you can't tell who is driving. Are they f-ing NAZIS? This sounds MAD! How much does this awesome idea cost the already strapped taxpayers? Now I have to fork out money that I lost in police and firefighter services to put a lien on a red light runner's crappie house? Suppose we do get the house. Then what? Who pays to mow the grass and etc. Unitl the year 2020 when it finally sells for half the price it's worth. Do we still remeber why we seized it? How bout we staff a county position with a back hoe operater to clean out my overgrown ditch in my neighborhood? I could go on forever? Calling TOM LYONS calling TOM LYONS (Like the Bat signal) The "TOM" signal.

Lightbulb Re: Failure to pay red light ticket = Home seizure

Quote Originally Posted by When is the vote
    Will this be up for a vote in the public? It sounds like and idea that the county can't afford. Do we need to hire an attorney ( to file court lien documents) to make a person pay for a $80 dollar ticket where the witness is a fuzzy camera, and you can't tell who is driving. Are they f-ing NAZIS? This sounds MAD! How much does this awesome idea cost the already strapped taxpayers? Now I have to fork out money that I lost in police and firefighter services to put a lien on a red light runner's crappie house? Suppose we do get the house. Then what? Who pays to mow the grass and etc. Unitl the year 2020 when it finally sells for half the price it's worth. Do we still remeber why we seized it? How bout we staff a county position with a back hoe operater to clean out my overgrown ditch in my neighborhood? I could go on forever? Calling TOM LYONS calling TOM LYONS (Like the Bat signal) The "TOM" signal.
    Oh grow up. It's working in other cities and counties, so why not here? The fuzzy photos get tossed by the judge -- and no lien is placed against their house. Red light runners beware!!!

:devil:

Senior Member LEO Affairs Captain

Angry Re: Failure to pay red light ticket = Home seizure

Click here for a follow-up editorial.
    "Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is SUCCESS." -- Henry Ford

It's a LIEN, not a seizure for god's sake. The debt is payable upon sale of your home. Or you transfer opwnership, new owner by law is made aware of any outstanding liens on property.

Home liens can be collected by a court ordered foreclosure of a home. Just ask anyone thats been a victim of The Florida Construction Lien Law.

I doubt that the Commission has the stomach to seek foreclosure of a home over a traffic ticket. The problem is that it sets a scary prescedent.

Suspend the DL dont steal homes.