Tarnished Legacy
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Senior Member LEO Affairs Captain

Angry Tarnished Legacy

Quote Originally Posted by Herald-Tribune, opinion section
    Chief deputy's poor showing in primary reflects upon sheriff

Bill Balkwill's name wasn't on the ballot. He wasn't responsible for his chief deputy's campaign for Sarasota County sheriff.

But Balkwill's legacy as a retiring two-term sheriff wasn't helped by Larry Dunklee's poor performance in the Republican primary that culminated Tuesday.

Dunklee had the title, experience and access to contributions needed to wage a credible campaign to replace Balkwill. But Dunklee received only 16 percent of the Republican votes cast countywide. He finished last in a three-way race behind Dave Gustafson, making his...
    Click here for the full story.
    "Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is SUCCESS." -- Henry Ford

Re: Tarnished Legacy

I didn't really know any candidate in this race but would not have voted for larry cause we do have a lot of problems in this place with the "good old boy", balkwill drinkers and golfers club. i voted for gustafson and can say i never met the man. i thought he would bring the most change to breaking the good old boy stuff that has gone on here for years.

now, with knight winning i can say i dont know him either but it bothers me a lot to hear guys like like stinger, carney and even balkwill have all now jumped in his corner. that says a lot, especially since they were all friends with lavarello at one time.

since i want change i will get behind lavarello.

KNIGHT LOST MY VOTE WHEN I HEARD STINGER WAS AT KNIGHTS VICTORY PARTY. WHAT A F***ING LOOSER AND FOR KNIGHT TO SHAKE HIS HAND.

BAD ENOUGH BRONGEL IS IN THE KNIGHT TRENCHES, BUT STINGER? KNIGHT HAD A DECENT CHANCE AT THIS, BUT HIS BRINGING IN STINGER, CARNEY AND BALKWILL WILL HAND THE NEXT SHERIFF BADGE TO LAVARELLO.

Quote Originally Posted by roadtoad
    KNIGHT LOST MY VOTE WHEN I HEARD STINGER WAS AT KNIGHTS VICTORY PARTY. WHAT A F***ING LOOSER AND FOR KNIGHT TO SHAKE HIS HAND.

BAD ENOUGH BRONGEL IS IN THE KNIGHT TRENCHES, BUT STINGER? KNIGHT HAD A DECENT CHANCE AT THIS, BUT HIS BRINGING IN STINGER, CARNEY AND BALKWILL WILL HAND THE NEXT SHERIFF BADGE TO LAVARELLO.

As far as I know, there were no "bouncers" at Tom Knight's victory party and what do you think he should have done?...cause a scene in the middle of his own party and kick these guys out? Gimme a break!

[quote=News Flash]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Herald-Tribune, opinion section":3gg1oaz2
    Chief deputy's poor showing in primary reflects upon sheriff

Bill Balkwill's name wasn't on the ballot. He wasn't responsible for his chief deputy's campaign for Sarasota County sheriff.

But Balkwill's legacy as a retiring two-term sheriff wasn't helped by Larry Dunklee's poor performance in the Republican primary that culminated Tuesday.

Dunklee had the title, experience and access to contributions needed to wage a credible campaign to replace Balkwill. But Dunklee received only 16 percent of the Republican votes cast countywide. He finished last in a three-way race behind Dave Gustafson, making his...
    Click here for the full story.[/quote:3gg1oaz2]
    Who was the author of the opinion that was printed in the Herald-Tribune? I didn't see a name listed.

Quote Originally Posted by R U Serious?
    Quote Originally Posted by roadtoad

As far as I know, there were no "bouncers" at Tom Knight's victory party and what do you think he should have done?...cause a scene in the middle of his own party and kick these guys out? Gimme a break!
    Stinger showing up only means one thing--he waited-like several others--to see who was going to win and showed up to get on board with the winning team. He didn't stay long because he didn't get a warm reception. This is an old school practice around this place and has happened at past elections. Stinger (as others) went into survival mode and wanted to be seen as if they were saying "I knew you could do it". Oh by the way, Stinger and Laverello are buddies. When Laverello was arrested for DUI, he came from a party where Stinger and our former General Counsel (Gabby) were attending. (A common thread???)

The Election Party is generally the candidates way of saying thanks to their volunteers who worked on the campaign. However the election continues. So if you really want to help Tom with victory in November, you can still volunteer and help with sign waving and working polls.

Quote Originally Posted by guest666
    Stinger showing up only means one thing--he waited-like several others--to see who was going to win and showed up to get on board with the winning team. He didn't stay long because he didn't get a warm reception. This is an old school practice around this place and has happened at past elections. Stinger (as others) went into survival mode and wanted to be seen as if they were saying "I knew you could do it". Oh by the way, Stinger and Laverello are buddies. When Laverello was arrested for DUI, he came from a party where Stinger and our former General Counsel (Gabby) were attending. (A common thread???)

The Election Party is generally the candidates way of saying thanks to their volunteers who worked on the campaign. However the election continues. So if you really want to help Tom with victory in November, you can still volunteer and help with sign waving and working polls.
    Stinger, are you reading this? I expect to see you holding a Tom Knight sign at a street corner!!! :snicker:

I too as many others have pointed out in the last couple days have noticed that rumors spread throughout the SSO are that Knight has made friends with the staff. I am on the fence now. I was hoping that he was here to save us. Maybe he is the same as them? I will vote for the DEMOCRAT if I have too make this a better place for my zone buddies. I will vote for the first person that will openly admit that he will change this place from the inside out. Sorry Tom. Rumors are flying and the public looks to us and ask who they should vote for (when it comes down to it they care about us not one man). Get rid of the dead weight in public and we will stand behind you. Hopefully a future loyal, Deputy.

Quote Originally Posted by Die Hard change of mind???
    I too as many others have pointed out in the last couple days have noticed that rumors spread throughout the SSO are that Knight has made friends with the staff. I am on the fence now.
    Of course he's made friends with many staff members! They know that TK will be the next sheriff? What choice do they have??? :roll:

I was hoping that he was here to save us.
    If you're look for TK to "save" you, then you need more help than what he can provide. :shock:

I will vote for the DEMOCRAT if I have too make this a better place for my zone buddies.
    Your vote doesn't county. You're just a deputy. The votes of officers doesn't mean diddley squad. The only thing that matters is what the Sarasota Republican powerbrokers want -- and they have chosen TK as the next sheriff -- and the voters overwhelmingly (can you say landslide?) supported this.

I will vote for the first person that will openly admit that he will change this place from the inside out. Sorry Tom. Rumors are flying and the public looks to us and ask who they should vote for (when it comes down to it they care about us not one man). Get rid of the dead weight in public and we will stand behind you. Hopefully a future loyal, Deputy.
    In your last sentence, you pretty much admit that TK is the next sheriff. TK is what we have. I voted for another Republican horse -- and I lost. I didn't get involved in the election, but the Republican primary was held and the voters have spoken. If you think for a New York minute that a Republican stronghold (Sarasota County) is going to elect a Democrat as sheriff, then you're really in the left field. Move a little bit more towards the center of the baseball field, please.

The last Republican bloodbath on August 26 was as bad as the civil war. Republican corpses were everywhere. I don't think that the November election will be nearly as deadly as the August 26 primary was.

You sir are in idiot if you think that the deputies' votes do not count. How many times were you asked "who should I vote for" by everday citizens? Aaaahhh that is where you should change your playing field. Yours blinds you with sunlight. For every deputy that works here he or she knows several people that look to him or her as a role model and example. They respect his or her opinion of the Sheriff's Office. Think twice. As far as saving me or you well .....................

A leader is a dealer in hope.
    Napoleon Bonaparte

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast