Do you guys always arrest other cops for DUI?
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Do you guys always arrest other cops for DUI?

Why did your Hammocks unit arrest a school board po on Saturday night? You guys get pissed (with reason) when troopers give your people tickets, but it's ok to arrest other POs for DUI? What about a call to the supervisor? To a friend to pick the guy up? A ride home?

You know how many times school board POs have not arrested students when we found out their dad or mom was a PO? We have worked magic to turn those felonies to misdemeanors so we can warn and dismiss.

And if the excuse was that the guy was "an asshole," of couse he was an asshole if he was 35 right? I don't know who the Hammocks cop was, but he just ruined someone's life.

Unfortunatley, one of your kids might not recive "professional courtesy" in the future as a result.

Re: Do you guys always arrest other cops for DUI?

No, that School Board PO ruined his own life by getting and driving drunk! Come to the realization that being a cop does not exempt you from living within the intent, letter and spirit of the law. Otherwise, quit and become a civilian. NO EXCUSES!

So their children should also be held to the highest standars since mama and papa should have taught them better. No worries.

First of all the school board cop messed himself up. he may have killed one of your family members while being an irresponsible person anyway. that hammoks cop 39ned him because he was probably pushing that little f**ing badge aroud. Yeah hes a cop but just a school cop....not impressed at alll your the bottom of the barrel prtner....let him drive in my city i would 39 him to....Metro did the right thing

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper M
    No, that School Board PO ruined his own life by getting and driving drunk! Come to the realization that being a cop does not exempt you from living within the intent, letter and spirit of the law. Otherwise, quit and become a civilian. NO EXCUSES!
    the problem is that you were a nerd in school and people like me picked on you and now you became a cop to show us. it's a job there buddy get a life we are not cops 24/7 everyone is human. the uniform doesn't make you a man.

Quote Originally Posted by Hialeah LEO
    First of all the school board cop messed himself up. he may have killed one of your family members while being an irresponsible person anyway. that hammoks cop 39ned him because he was probably pushing that little f**ing badge aroud. Yeah hes a cop but just a school cop....not impressed at alll your the bottom of the barrel prtner....let him drive in my city i would 39 him to....Metro did the right thing
    Really well thanks for the heads up now I can start 39ing all PO's kids no mercy because we all know that sometimes PO's kids are the first fu*k ups therefore I will 39 them to teach them a lesson since you PO's can't.

Your right we are not cops 24/7 the bad thing is that your not a cop at all.. your school security.you were probably rejected from every other deptment and ended up there...u fukin ner :devil: d...

Your right we are not cops 24/7 the bad thing is that your not a cop at all.. your school security.you were probably rejected from every other deptment and ended up there...u fukin ner :devil: d...
    I don't live to work, I work to live and call it what you want school security brother it doesn't matter to me what you say. I may be a school cop but in a couple of weeks i will be on a three day weekend while you will be working thinking I'm a big bad cop because I work in Hialeah but the truth is that when another cop is getting their as* kick it doesn't matter who responds D*CKHEAD remember we all go to the same training. Now Shut the F*ck up nerd and give me your lunch money and go tell your mommy I took it.

Allow me to chime in here. I work road patrol for a larger county SO. So im no "secuirty guard" as you say. But let me ask you this, Mister "I am the law!"

We are a family, are we not? We're all brothers and sisters, right? Well if you pulled over your biological brother or other relative for DUI, you damn well better be arresting them also. Because by your own definition nobody is "above the law".

The thing you need to learn is that the law isnt black and white. The academy (which it's clear you are newly out of) doesnt teach this well enough. In any case, I'm here to tell you that the law is not always, in fact it's rarely, black and white.

Not everyone needs to go to jail for every law that's broken. I'm SURE that you have let other DUIs get away with a ride home in the past, so dont sit there and pretend you are god's gift to law enforcement by saying he should have gone to jail. You werent there.

I have made more than my share of DUI arrests but again, it doesnt mean everyone who might be above .08 should be arrested. This job demands good judgment to get by, something you lack. And I make that judgement based on how you talk about yourself and other officers in our profession. I think you should be ashamed of yourself for how you speak of fellow officers that work in a possition you never held. I hope you learn more respect otherwise you'll have a long career ahead of you.

Im sure that right now you're thinking "well the cop who got the DUI didn't use good judgement either". You're correct, it sounds like he didn't. But like I said, not every broken law needs an arrest.

Im not going to judge the officer who arrested this off duty PO. But you, however lack any honor, credibility and respect. You think you are high and mighty because you work for Hialeah. Give me a break. Keep patting yourself ont he back, brother, if that's what makes you feel better. But just remember that what comes around goes around. Be careful who you burn.

To everyone out there. Dont do stupid things. And lets at least try to take care of one another. Be safe.

The BROTHERHOOD ...I Don't Give a Damn
    I took this job because of the benefits & a steady paycheck.
    "It's not like it used to be," laments one of your buddies over coffee. "We used to get together after the shift for a beer. We played softball together. We partied together. When someone had a big project at home, we all pitched in and helped get it done. These young kids just don't care anymore."
    I want you to think about those guys. As you read this, I encourage you to imagine who it is in your department that best fits this description. Stay with me here.
    The scenario: the shift is really busy with calls backed up. You're down a couple of reports. Then, one of the guys ties himself up on a B.S. arrest that will take him out of service for a couple of hours, leaving everyone else to cover his area.
    When a list goes up announcing an upcoming overtime detail, this guy's name will always be at or near the top. Anytime you're near him, he's complaining--about something. Never a positive word comes out of his mouth.
    Another scenario: a group in your community plans a charity event--like collecting toys at Christmas to be given to kids whose families are facing tough times. The cops are invited to help. This guy only shows up if he's getting paid. Otherwise, he's nowhere to be found.
    If one of the guys on your crew is off for some time healing from an injury or long-term illness, this guy won't find time to stop by or even call. He's too busy taking care of his own wants and needs. Help someone on the crew lay some sod or rebuild a deck? Forget it!
    As for Police Week in Washington D.C.--are you kidding? This guy wouldn't think of burning the time, unless the department is footing the bill and giving him the time to do it.
    We all know "This Guy" too well. And, we're glad that he's not our partner.
    You find yourself wondering why he became a cop. If asked, he may or may not answer honestly. There's little chance of layoff. Retirement after 20-25 years. The benefits and retirement are generally better than the private sector, even though the pay may not be as good. Of course, there is some occasional excitement that fuels an adrenaline rush.
    This guy has no sense of camaraderie or The Brotherhood. He just doesn't care. You know this guy. You know his name, don't you?
    Heart of a cop
    I have a video from the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial. In it, there is a scene showing one of the Officers of the Month: Dennis Sullivan. Dennis says, "I truly believe that if you don't have the heart of a cop, you won't be a good one." Amen.
    Being a cop is first and foremost who you are at heart. Yes, it may also be the job you do. But you can have the job without being a "cop." Just remember the guy I described earlier. He's got the man-made credentials, but without a change of heart, he will never be a cop.
    Being a cop starts in the heart. It becomes a state of mind. It's a lifestyle. It flavors your decisions. It is the basis of your attitude. It's the warrior mindset. It's a willingness to fight for what's right, even if it costs your life.
    A sense of brotherhood:
    Likely, the best experience of the Brotherhood occurs each May in Washington D.C. The NLEOMF and the F.O.P. create an experience that is an immersion in what it means to be part of this Brotherhood. I have been blessed with being there every year for most of a decade.
    First timers all say the same thing at the conclusion of their first experience, "this was my first time, but I'll never miss it again." That message is universal.
    Upon arrival, the presence of cops everywhere is in the air. Guys pepper the population wearing police garb. Many are carrying their badges on a chain around their necks. Cops permeate the region with flat-top haircuts and steely gazes.
    You see guys at the hotel. They're on the Metro ride into town. Arriving at The Wall stirs my soul with deep reflection: 18,000 names of those who have made the ultimate sacrifice. The most recent additions are freshly etched and on the bottom-most lines.
    There are letters from the kids of fallen officers with pictures saying, "I miss you, Daddy." There are notes from wives and family members attesting to their loved ones' call to duty and expressing the deepest pain of loss.
    The "work families" often post messages, pictures, and other tributes to their fallen brother or sister, as well.
    These names, these messages, and this experience is like no other. Words can only fractionally describe this most powerful moment.
    Throughout the week, we shared the very stirring Candlelight Vigil. We stood at the Capitol and listened to the President give thanks for those who have fallen and for those who remain on guard. We shared time over a beer (maybe two) in different venues. Each year, I leave with many new "old friends" who will remain for the rest of my life.
    The emotional exchange is overwhelming and the bonds created are permanent.
    My attempt to share it with you is like my wife trying to help me understand the experience of giving birth to our kids. I understand the words; I'll never comprehend the experience.
    The greater good
    I recently taught an eight hour block to new recruits at the academy. "You are joining a family. There are some benefits: you've probably received your last traffic ticket. But, remember this: for every one thing you receive, you owe at least a hundred in return," I explained.
    I am indeed fortunate. I am part of a close-knit group of cops. My group of guys have ensured that the family of an officer who had fallen on hard times had a fitting Christmas when they otherwise would not. We adopted officers in Louisiana who had lost everything in Katrina. We have been at the hospital when one was sick or injured. That's what it means to be part of this Brotherhood.
    Small things, big things, no matter. We are there. So does this responsibility now move to the recruits as its newest members.
    Critically important
    It is vital to our well being that we nurture this sense of Brotherhood and pass it along. It must be kept alive and made to thrive.
    Each year, Police Week reminds us that we are part of a very large family. We have a stake in the lives of each other. This Brotherhood is greater than even the largest agency. It spans the globe. This year brought brothers from Canada, England, the Netherlands, Italy and Australia to Washington D.C.
    Humans fight harder and longer when they are emotionally tied to the outcome.
    One example is a man fighting to protect his wife and children. He will fight to the death.
    Our military leaders have long recognized the need for the emotional bond between fighters. The Marines have spent a lifetime engraining the messages:
    WE NEED A FEW GOOD MEN
    MARINES--THE FEW, THE PROUD, THE BRAVE
    SEMPER FI
    This is no accident. Marines are recognized as The Force on this planet. They are second to none. They are prepared to give all without hesitation for the sake of their country and their brothers.
    That same emotional bond among cops causes them to excel beyond anything they ever thought possible.
    Our brothers become heroes every day. They will do their best when they have a strong emotional bond to those with whom they serve.
    What can I do?
    • Get involved. The major events of Police Week are the Candlelight Vigil, which is held on the evening of May 13th every year. The second is the Memorial Service which is held at the Capitol on May 15th every year. In 2008, that's a Tuesday and a Thursday. Mark your calendar now.
    • Join the Fraternal Order of Police. Read at least one periodical (Officer.com is an excellent choice). There are many from which to select. One will suit you. Do something TODAY! Something big or something small--it doesn't matter. But, do something!
    • For those of you who were in D.C. this year: bring a new person next year. Just one. Invite them now. Help them with the cost, if you can.
    • Remember the guy you had in mind at the first part of this article? He's an excellent candidate. Every Police Week attendee should strive to bring just one new person the next year.
    • Your life may well depend on backup one day. Do you want that person to be driven by his emotional tie to you, or just there because the paycheck is steady? Think about the Marines. There's your answer.
    Get involved. Tie your heart to your career. Being a good cop starts in the heart and goes out from there. Come on ...your Brothers are waiting to welcome you!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast