Collier crime slightly down in first half of 2008
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Collier crime slightly down in first half of 2008

Having moved to East Naples from Houston, Texas, about six years ago, Rafael Castello said he has never felt safer.

Though the residents, on average, are a bit older, Castello said he likes that Collier County is quiet and clean. He said he’s never had any problems with crime in his new home.

“Where I used to live in Texas, it was very different,” Castello said. “Here it’s quiet. It’s like a small town.”

In February, the Collier County Sheriff’s Office announced its lowest crime rate since at least 1971. On Monday, the Sheriff’s Office announced that the first half of 2008 was even safer.

Part 1 crimes — violent crimes and property crimes — were down 2 percent in unincorporated Collier County in the first six months of 2008, compared to the same time frame in 2007, the Sheriff’s Office reported.

Crime was down in six of the seven categories that make up part 1 crimes: homicides decreased from 10 to three, sexual assaults decreased from 87 to 67, robberies decreased from 136 to 126, aggravated assaults were down from 479 to 432, burglaries were down from 697 to 605 and motor vehicle thefts were down from 187 to 167.

In total, there were 3,167 part 1 crimes reported in the first six months of 2008, down from 3,232 in the same period in 2007.

“You can never be happy when there are over 3,000 crimes reported,” Sheriff Don Hunter said. “However, we are happy with the trend. Crime is down. We want to continue to push crime down and suppress it in Collier County.”

The only crime increase was in larcenies, which rose from 1,636 to 1,767, the Sheriff’s Office reported.

Hunter attributed much of his department’s success to focusing on serving warrants, arresting career criminals released in the community, and targeting active gang members. In addition, the Sheriff’s Office partnership with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement in June 2007 has resulted in removing about 700 criminal aliens from the country.

“We focus our energy on those known groups,” Hunter said. “If we take them off the street, we know we’re going to get an impact on the reduction of crime.”

The continued decrease in crime comes at a time when the Sheriff’s Office is tightening its belt and decreasing its budget.

Hunter is seeking a $150 million budget in 2009, about $3 million less than the Sheriff’s Office’s 2008 budget and about $10 million less than Hunter’s original request for 2008.

As a result, Hunter said he has encouraged his staff to be more creative and innovative when it comes to fighting crime.

A continued downturn in the economy, resulting in more job losses and foreclosures, could also affect crime in the future, Hunter said.

“What I believe is we’re going to see greater and greater desperation as the economy sickens, if you will,” Hunter said. “I am concerned. I haven’t seen that desperation yet, though as you know, we’ve seen the execution of (Fort Myers Police Officer Andrew) Widman in Lee County. We’ve seen some greater orientation to violence in the streets.”

Even with the continued decline in part 1 crimes, Hunter said his deputies are plenty busy.

“Part 1 crimes are only part of our duties,” Hunter said. “Our calls for service continue to increase; calls for noise complaints, calls for traffic enforcement, calls for DUI.”

Pam Eifert, who was shopping at the Family Dollar store in the Gulf Gate Plaza on Monday evening with her husband, John, said crime is still a concern to her.

“It depends on where you’re at,” said Eifert, a mail carrier who lives in Golden Gate Estates. “Naples Manor, I don’t feel safe in there.”
    Source

Re: Collier crime slightly down in first half of 2008

what no one saying the facts were faked...I am shocked :mrgreen:

Quote Originally Posted by Guest16
    Stats are usually wrong 50% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil McCraken
    Quote Originally Posted by Guest16
    Stats are usually wrong 50% of the time.
    but there's only a 10% chance of that.

Funny how great stats just appear before elections. There is no crime in Collier ya right. :devil:

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Funny how great stats just appear before elections. There is no crime in Collier ya right. :devil:
    the "litmus test" for me is to just look at the type and sheer quantity of crime in our neighboring counties. Hell, Lee County is kicking out crime stats that resemble numbers that would come out of Beirut. It's out of control up there, you need body armor just to go shopping.

Member LEO Affairs Rookie

seems as if there is a shooting in Lee County at LEAST 1 a week....However, I think Sheriff Scott is doing a good job, and should have no problem getting re-elected....

Funny that you are such a dope that you never noticed that the annual and semi-annual stats come out the same time every year. At least say something intelligent like, "Funny how elections appear around stat time." :cop:

Funny that you are such a dope that you never noticed that the annual and semi-annual stats come out the same time every year. At least say something intelligent like, "Funny how elections appear around stat time." :cop:
    You must be one of the idiots that put together the phony stats around election time. :devil:

You must be one of the idiots that put together the phony stats around election time. :devil:

Since you are such the genius, prove they are phony Mr Dumas. :devil:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast