traffic position
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

traffic position

I SEE THERE IS A TRAFFIC POSITION COME OPEN,I WONDER WHO IS THE FAVOURITE OF THE MONTH WITH ADMIN TO GET THIS POSITION OR IS IT A GIMMICK TO KEEP M.B IN LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE.[/i]

Your full of crap

What a crock of a post. Why don't you go find the answer out while you are at work before you post a b.s. post like this that makes you look like an as_. If we only know who you are...Oh wait.....

I think it will be a fair process, if you want the position just put your memo in. :roll:

Ok, I know it is his position for the taking. Lets see, go back to patrol as an officer or stay in Traffic as a Cpl. Come on this is another policy change for one of the boys, no big deal cause it's been going on for years. Look at the last traffic change, it involved the same guy. I like the guy personally, but when is enough enough? We change rules for some, but not others, don't make me quote changes because I will get carpel tunnel synrome typing . The few that have been around know the deal. We'll drop the standard to 1yr on, then make it meets expectation only, then we'll take you while your still on probation for special postions or assignments. I understand the the changes are supposed to be for the greater good of the agency, but when is enough enough? How much longer can officers swallow the trash, until they start throwing up? Our playing field is already tiltled towards city hall and Amedment 1, please help the new guys understand everyone has a fair chance to advance. Otherwise, when the flood gates open, we could lose good people, we only have ourselves to blame. I hope we show a leap of faith and show that we are better that our some reputation. Make it fair and keep it honest.

sounds like the 2nd poster has an axe to grind. "if WE only know who you are...Oh wait...", implies THEY may have a way to find the identity of the original poster. I wonder who WE is and why THEY have a need to identify persons who post on this site? Must have struck a nerve.

Re: traffic position

He's got his bid sheet and he is coming back. Competition for the position will really be stiff. Word is two or three former traffic types will apply (proven, experienced, THIs, and experts in various areas of traffic).

Isn't "he" going to the motorcycle? I believe that vacant spot will be open for all takers.

The whole rotation policy is stupid anyway! Wait your turn until you get the position and then do well enough to stay in it. Why should 344 come out? Why should Tippet have to rotate? Why should any of the top tier CIS have to unlearn everything they have learned......talk about wasting money, maybe City Hall should look at retraining costs and officer investment instead of our cars.

Well said Jingo. I agree that the rotation is not only a joke, but a huge waste of money. How much does it cost to retrain these people? We train detectives to solve major homicides, send them to thousands of dollars worth of schools only to send them back out to investigate "lost cell phones" from the wal-mart parking lot? Same with all of the other specialized units. Nobody wants to be a motorcycle officer, we have seen that by the last two postings where only 2 people put in for it. The first two didn’t even want to do it after a year. With the heat, no A/C and screwed up hours who would want it? But we will force off somebody who loves it. Narcotics and K9 are other jobs that have a long curve to become good at. Just about the time the detectives and handlers figure out whet they are doing, time to go.

How is it that the admin is unable to see that this rotation is a huge waste of resources as well as a big morale buster? In the last 10 years how many people have actually been FORCED to rotate out of a position? Instantly only two or three come to mind. I am sure there are some that I forgot, but compare that to the 30 or so that have left voluntarily! We don't need a rotation; people leave these jobs on their own. Bingnear and LOBO both bailed on the motorcycle 3 years before they had to. We got a girl in narcotics with less than a year in the unit that put in to be a DARE officer. Two other narcs bailed inside of two years to go to other specialized positions and one just got out to go back to mids. Now I think he is back in his second try as an SRO. Big Country is moving out of state, his partner put in for another unit as well. It's just the way it is. It is so counterproductive to continue this practice and goes against every principle of employee management that there is. You do not take a person out of a job that they love doing and are good at, just for the hell of it. If they get burnt out, lazy or just are not able to perform then they must go. But to take a person out of a job that benefits the agency and the citizens as well as their personal enjoyment is nuts.

When you look at all the BS we get from every other sector of the world (cops in general I mean) all we really do this job for is the pure enjoyment. It damn sure isn't for prestige or money as it just is not here. It is because we truly enjoy what we do. It makes our life better. Our life with our families, our spouses and our kids are better because we get love to go to work and love to come home! That is what makes an employee happy. How would our sergeants like it if we posted for a whole new batch every 5 years? Oh, but that's not the same thing right? Wrong, it is the EXACT same thing. They are trained to do a job, just like the people with special duties and positions. So, if we're going to do it, let’s do it all the way. I say we take all of the sergeants with more than 5 yrs in grade and put them back on patrol and post for some new blood. This will give them excellent experience to bring to the patrol force and make them a better patrol officer. Isn't this why you rotate us? Talk about boosting morale! Give people an opportunity to move up and better themselves. That's the point of this whole rotation right?

Another problem with this joke of a rotation is how it undermines itself. Allegedly, the whole purpose of it is to give patrol officers a broad range of knowledge to take back to the road with them. The problem is that a lot of these people will never see patrol again once they get into a specialized position. Do you realize that we have some sergeants that actually spent less than 2 yrs as a patrol officer? That’s it. Went from specialized position to specialized position and then got promoted. We have all seen how easy it is for a callophobe (someone with a fear of working patrol) to jump from unit to unit and avoid puting a uniform on ever. Hey admin, you want to put some teeth into your rotation policy try this:

If you bail on any position early, you MUST finish the balance of your time you owe in patrol before you can put in for anything else. It is that simple. You decided you really want to be a detective, traffic cop, narc whatever and its a 5 year deal. When you decide 18 months into it that you want to put in for something else you go back to the road for 4.5 years. That would really make people think long and hard about puting in for everything just to get out of a cruiser! And I am not even going to get on the subject of people who put in for everything……that is a whole other topic!

Sorry for the rant……stay safe……..Snipers Fire at Will!!

Oh…Don’t tell me to “Just leave” I like it here ?

I agree with your post, dump the rotation for the vital specialized positions. Look at small agenicies like Treasure Island or larger like SPPD or PCSO. No rotation issues, they stay until they decide to rotate or their performance is so bad they get replaced. At our agency you get trained when you get in a unit, learn how to do your job, become effective, then get rolled back to patrol. This is a waste of training, experience, and agency funds. Can someone find the other agencies rotation policies so we can compare who does what. I have a feeling we are the exception to the rule.

Re: Well Said

I agree with 80 percent of your post, the rotation policy should go and most of your reasons were valid. However, then you showed your personal disdain for a few individuals who you feel are not worthy to be supervisors, or in specialized assignments because they don't meet your lofty standards. Stick to your arguement on the rotation policy and leave your personal attacks out of it and you would be sitting pretty right now as somewhat intelligent.

The last part of your arguement about making people go to patrol if they left their assignment early would also lead to many people staying in an assignment that they found out they simply didn't like. I don't blame people who take a position thinking it was going to be something it wasn't or expecting to like it only to find out it they didn't. Your plan would cause officers to stay in a position they don't care for, cause them low morale and likely lead to performance issues and more importanly it keeps someone who may be good at it and love it from getting into the position. Most have thought long and hard about it before putting in for positions but simply find they liked patrol better. Also, positions have a tendency to come open when they perhaps were not expected to come open for another several years. If an officer really wanted to do a specific job during their career, that may be their only chance to do it. I have no problem with the competition, why do you? Or is that part of the problem.

Oh one last thing, I don't think for one minute that officers assigned to specialized assignments are afraid to go back to patrol. For you to make that statement shows a level of arrogance that causes you to lose all credibility on the 80 percent of your post that makes sense. We all start in patrol, and most in specialized assignments (It should be all) excelled in patrol work. To think for some reasons they are now afraid to go back is a junk argument and one your don't need to make to make your point.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast