Employment - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Employment

Re: Employment

Where are you guys applying? B/C I don't see any openings???

Our mission is weights and safety compliance, not traffic enforcement. Traffic enforcement is an addition to our main mission.
    Oh my, someone needs to tell the State that my car should have weights and measurements on the side of my car instead of "State Law Enforcement Officer" I would like you to read you policy manual 1-1, section 5 subsection B. It starts off with the following:

B. The Motor Carrier Compliance Office (MCCO) is a designated traffic law enforcement
    agency pursuant to Chapter 316, Florida Statutes, and is a division of the Florida
    Department of Transportation, whose Secretary is accountable to the Governor. The
    command authority and responsibility afforded the Director of MCCO is delegated by
    the FDOT Secretary through the Assistant Secretary for Transportation Policy, as
    defined in Section 20.23, Florida Statutes. The division employs sworn law
    enforcement officers pursuant to Chapter 943 and Chapter 334, Florida Statutes, who
    have the same authority as other peace officers of the state including making arrests
    for violations of law, carrying firearms, service court process, and confiscating
    contraband. The agency operates a statewide system of weigh station facilities
    operated by regulatory weight inspectors who have specific enforcement authority
    pursuant to Chapter 316, Florida Statutes. Officers and inspectors appointed by the
    division have the authority to issue citations for violations while enforcing state laws
    and federal regulations. In order to assist the department in fulfilling its mission,
    MCCO has the following goals and objectives.

>So, it would look like to me that traffic safety is our priority. In fact, why do we get the Federal dollars ?I think it is for inpections. That is why we are all told "Thanks to you all we exceeded 100,000 inspection last year..." Weights and measurements are only secondary. Furthermore, if you read FSS 316. 302(8) it states that we can stop a vehicle to check for violations or driver violations.

Here is a copy of the statute:
    (8) For the purpose of enforcing this section, any law enforcement officer of the Department of Transportation or duly appointed agent who holds a current safety inspector certification from the Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance may require the driver of any commercial vehicle operated on the highways of this state to stop and submit to an inspection of the vehicle or the driver's records. If the vehicle or driver is found to be operating in an unsafe condition, or if any required part or equipment is not present or is not in proper repair or adjustment, and the continued operation would present an unduly hazardous operating condition, the officer may require the vehicle or the driver to be removed from service pursuant to the North American Standard Out-of-Service Criteria, until corrected. However, if continuous operation would not present an unduly hazardous operating condition, the officer may give written notice requiring correction of the condition within 14 days.

I fail to see anywhere in Statute or Policy that says we are here for weights and measurements. It seems to me our job is all traffic.

Thanks for playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselcop
    Our mission is weights and safety compliance, not traffic enforcement. Traffic enforcement is an addition to our main mission.
    Oh my, someone needs to tell the State that my car should have weights and measurements on the side of my car instead of "State Law Enforcement Officer" I would like you to read you policy manual 1-1, section 5 subsection B. It starts off with the following:

B. The Motor Carrier Compliance Office (MCCO) is a designated traffic law enforcement
    agency pursuant to Chapter 316, Florida Statutes, and is a division of the Florida
    Department of Transportation, whose Secretary is accountable to the Governor. The
    command authority and responsibility afforded the Director of MCCO is delegated by
    the FDOT Secretary through the Assistant Secretary for Transportation Policy, as
    defined in Section 20.23, Florida Statutes. The division employs sworn law
    enforcement officers pursuant to Chapter 943 and Chapter 334, Florida Statutes, who
    have the same authority as other peace officers of the state including making arrests
    for violations of law, carrying firearms, service court process, and confiscating
    contraband. The agency operates a statewide system of weigh station facilities
    operated by regulatory weight inspectors who have specific enforcement authority
    pursuant to Chapter 316, Florida Statutes. Officers and inspectors appointed by the
    division have the authority to issue citations for violations while enforcing state laws
    and federal regulations. In order to assist the department in fulfilling its mission,
    MCCO has the following goals and objectives.

>So, it would look like to me that traffic safety is our priority. In fact, why do we get the Federal dollars ?I think it is for inpections. That is why we are all told "Thanks to you all we exceeded 100,000 inspection last year..." Weights and measurements are only secondary. Furthermore, if you read FSS 316. 302(8) it states that we can stop a vehicle to check for violations or driver violations.

Here is a copy of the statute:
    (8) For the purpose of enforcing this section, any law enforcement officer of the Department of Transportation or duly appointed agent who holds a current safety inspector certification from the Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance may require the driver of any commercial vehicle operated on the highways of this state to stop and submit to an inspection of the vehicle or the driver's records. If the vehicle or driver is found to be operating in an unsafe condition, or if any required part or equipment is not present or is not in proper repair or adjustment, and the continued operation would present an unduly hazardous operating condition, the officer may require the vehicle or the driver to be removed from service pursuant to the North American Standard Out-of-Service Criteria, until corrected. However, if continuous operation would not present an unduly hazardous operating condition, the officer may give written notice requiring correction of the condition within 14 days.

I fail to see anywhere in Statute or Policy that says we are here for weights and measurements. It seems to me our job is all traffic.

Thanks for playing.
    Whatever, RoboCop.

Dieselcop, I am disappointed. I expected a better answer to the post than that.

Guest, I totally agree with you about being a traffic related department. The problem is that Federal DOT requires certain amount of weighings and enforcement to those weighings. And of course our agency makes a rediculous number. If not meet at the end of the year it affects our federal funding and in turn your SGT will be questioning you where your weight activity is.

Quote Originally Posted by DOTMAN
    Guest, I totally agree with you about being a traffic related department. The problem is that Federal DOT requires certain amount of weighings and enforcement to those weighings. And of course our agency makes a rediculous number. If not meet at the end of the year it affects our federal funding and in turn your SGT will be questioning you where your weight activity is.
    DOTMAN, I agree with you. Part of the job is weighing and measuring trucks. However, we must understand that it is not our sole purpose. If the inspection stats were to fall, the Feds could still cut back money. If I was told correctly, our agency has to report how many inspections were completed and how much we intend to compelte. I think the Feds care more about you enforceing the the CFR than the state weight laws. Besides, when is the last time that a 1,000 lb overweight truck injured someone in a crash or any other incident? I cannot reacall a single one. But I can recall several crashes caused by running red lights,improper passing, tired drivers, and other equipment violations. I think we are here to make the roadways safer, that means traffic enforcement.

Unfortunately, I think some of us forget that we signed up for a state law enforcement agency. Gone are the days of just weights and measures. That is why this agency has changed to what it is today. Unfortunately, our officers need to understand that they have arrest powers, not just the power to use the scales.

I know Dieselcop is not the only perosn that feels the way he does. It is just he is the only one that I know of on this board. Example of his belief is that he was against having tasers. He stated that the this was just another piece of equipment to be accountable for and having to maintain. I personally think we should have tasers, as with every other agency should have them. It is a deterrent and will one day keep you from getting hurt. Unfortunately, until our agency stops spending money on new traffic vests, new holsters, rain suits and outer vest covers (ones that no one liked), we will continue to have issues.

I know, I know. I have heard that if I do not like it, then leave. The reason I "complain" and I have not left is that I would like to see this agency grow into one that is better. I have been at another agency. I was at a city agency for 10 years. I think this agency can be better. But the culture of this agency has to change in order for it to be something that people are knocking down the door to get in and stay in.

You are so correct, in that we make a substantial amount of money on weights and measurements. That is why I would like to see a portion of that money set aside in an interest bearing fund to begin a step plan and create other pay additives. But that will never happen because that would require help from mother DOT and they will not help us do anything.

As I said before, I'm totally in agreeance with you. I also am from a PD and believe we have abunch of whimps on this agency who I don't trust to back me up , only a few. I don't do a lot of weight enforcement cause I also believe in criminal/ trafffic enforcement. I've been in alot of situations in this agency where I wished we had tasers. I do believe in them. Our counterparts who don't want them are the ones that usually weight 3 trucks and get there 3 inspections with it, 6 pieces of paper. I've know aggressive people who kicked arse out in the field and the administration has sucked the life out of them, so they just gave up. They get there 6 piecese of paper and call it quits. When the Col. came around giving his speech, I was the only person to stand up to him about pay in my field-office. Everyone talks about issues but are affraid to stand up for themselves. Until we all unite and let the admin know how they treat us and that we are boarderline poverty, they won't do anything. Be safe out there

I didn't know the Colonel controlled the pay, I thought that was the legislature and the collective barganing unit?

They do....but there has to be a way we can get some sort of internal raise, like the CVSA we get. But also it would be nice for him to battle for us to get better pay.

Quote Originally Posted by DOTMAN
    As I said before, I'm totally in agreeance with you. I also am from a PD and believe we have abunch of whimps on this agency who I don't trust to back me up , only a few. I don't do a lot of weight enforcement cause I also believe in criminal/ trafffic enforcement. I've been in alot of situations in this agency where I wished we had tasers. I do believe in them. Our counterparts who don't want them are the ones that usually weight 3 trucks and get there 3 inspections with it, 6 pieces of paper. I've know aggressive people who kicked arse out in the field and the administration has sucked the life out of them, so they just gave up. They get there 6 piecese of paper and call it quits. When the Col. came around giving his speech, I was the only person to stand up to him about pay in my field-office. Everyone talks about issues but are affraid to stand up for themselves. Until we all unite and let the admin know how they treat us and that we are boarderline poverty, they won't do anything. Be safe out there
    DOTMAN, I am glad to hear that I am not the only person who feels like I do. I know some people that has been here for along time have given up hope. That is a shame because this agency could be great.

I, like you, questioned DAD about things, I just done it to him after a meeting and I got the 5 hrs/20% pay increase speech again. I agree that we all need to get onboard. All of us together would make it easier for a push.

I would also like to see DAD and mother DOT ask for a pay increase like Bustle and JC did for FHP. Until our higher ups help out, we will continue to get paid like we do.

Take care out there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast