Boynton Beach PD Going Green - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Boynton Beach PD Going Green

Quote Originally Posted by Guest
    As long as Chief Immler is at Boynton, I doubt we are merging with anyone. Our department and Chief are setting the standard for other departments in the area.
    No way is BBPD setting any standards. It's a good department, but not all that great. Immler is 10-8
    Setting standards would be reducing crime in Boynton. Boynton is still a cesspool with two shootings last night alone. Boynton some great benefits, but so does every other agecny in the area. There are ups and downs to every police agency. Stay safe.

As long as Chief Immler is at Boynton, I doubt we are merging with anyone. Our department and Chief are setting the standard for other departments in the area.
    Immler is 10-8
    Gotta agree. You couldn't find a better leader at any police agency. Maybe he'll run for sheriff and take over boynton...now there's a thought.

Immler is 10-8
    Gotta agree. You couldn't find a better leader at any police agency. Maybe he'll run for sheriff and take over boynton...now there's a thought.
    I think the Sheriff is just as much of a leader as Immler. The Sheriff has always supported his troops with everything. I wouldn't mind seeing him run for Sheriff when Bradshaw is done.

I agree. Bradshaw has done a lot to solidify his spot as the sheriff of PBC. When he is ready to retire, I'd say Immler would most likely be the absolute best replacement PBSO could hope for.

I agree. Bradshaw has done a lot to solidify his spot as the sheriff of PBC. When he is ready to retire, I'd say Immler would most likely be the absolute best replacement PBSO could hope for.
    Amen. Immler is a great leader and person as is the Sheriff. Chief Lincoln at Lantana is awesome too. They are becoming fewer and fewer as time goes on. Boynton and PBSO need to thank their lucky stars for having great leadership. Stay safe.

Immler has my vote if he runs; he has done a lot for the BBPD and the community. He has that kick-@$$, with class, northern style thing. He hasn't forgotten where he came from, which a lot of leaders tend to do. Bradshaw has also done a great job with the S.O. Congrats on the re-election.

Boynton prepares to slash nearly one-fifth of entire budget

I remember not to long ago talking with a long time Lake Worth officer about their P.D. merging with the S.O. He told me that it would never happen! Never say never…….
    http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localne...29boynton.html

Boynton prepares to slash nearly one-fifth of entire budget
    By DON JORDAN

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Sunday, March 29, 2009

BOYNTON BEACH — With an economy in the tank, a housing market in shambles and revenue slowing to a trickle, city officials say all signs indicate that the coming budget process will be difficult to swallow.

That's why City Manager Kurt Bressner said he plans to tackle the budget - with an estimated shortfall of as much as $16 million, or about one-fifth of this year's entire budget - in what he calls "bite-sized chunks" over the next few months.

It started earlier this month, when he offered city commissioners a variety of cost-cutting and cash-creating options to chew on, including wage freezes, layoffs and increased taxes. With a shortfall so large, it's near impossible to expect that employees won't be affected and taxes or other fees won't have to increase, he told them.

"Last year, we were able to do some one-time deals to help balance the budget. We're running out of one-time deals," Bressner said. "This isn't alchemy. We can't change lead into gold."

He added that the city can no longer afford to continue operating with the reasoning that "we've always been doing it that way. We don't have the luxury to do that anymore. Those programs that are nice to have and nice to do - those need to be put off for a couple of years."

The city's budget has nearly doubled in the last five years, a jump that Bressner attributes to increased public safety. In that time, the city added two dozen firefighters and 26 police officers and has cut response times.

Public safety costs, mostly in personnel, account for 62 percent of this year's entire budget. And city commissioners have indicated that they aren't willing to change that focus.

"I will not sign off on any cuts to public safety," Vice Mayor Jose Rodriguez told Bressner and his colleagues during a meeting earlier this month. However, the five-member panel wasn't in agreement about how to handle an annual fire services assessment for homes and other buildings.

The annual residential rate is $68, but the city could generate an additional $3.8 million by bumping that up to $146 and increasing fees for non-residential buildings. Commissioner Ron Weiland said "people are struggling" and he would oppose increased assessments or property taxes. Rodriguez has claimed that the assessment is a "hidden tax" and that what it's used for - firefighters' salaries, equipment replacements and other items - should be folded into the city's regular budget process.

The city's union contracts with police officers and firefighters aren't up for renewal this year, but fire Capt. Dean Kinser, president of the local firefighters' union chapter, said he expects city officials to contact the union about renegotiating salaries and benefits.

Kinser said the city has done an excellent job of keeping employees informed about the financial situation, which has helped to alleviate a lot of uncertainty and fears. Bressner has asked employees to submit ideas on how to deflect costs in their own departments. City leaders have already received about 20 suggestions, including ones suggesting salary freezes citywide and reduced work weeks, Bressner said.

Still, Kinser said there isn't much room for cuts in the department without affecting services. Three of 123 firefighter positions have been left vacant and the department has already cut into training programs, he said.

"You look at us on paper and our department is very streamlined," he said.

Boynton Beach police Detective Toby Athol, local chapter president for the Palm Beach County Police Benevolent Association, refused to comment for this story and referred all questions to the union's county office. Union president John Kazanjian said Friday morning that he did not have time to respond to questions until the following week.
    Other options for cutting costs or increasing revenue include selling off any city-owned surplus property, moving to a four-day work week and shifting employee pension plans to a defined contribution system, similar to a 401(k) plan, that doesn't put a greater financial burden on the city when investment markets falter.

Commissioners must also decide whether to increase the property tax rate to offset the budget shortfall. Due to declining property values, keeping the same tax rate as this year would generate $1.4 to $2.8 million less in tax revenue next year. The current tax rate is the lowest in 10 years.

And while some commissioners have expressed their hesitation at increasing taxes during an economic slump, Mayor Jerry Taylor said there may be few options.

"I'm willing to raise it up," Taylor said. "We kind of have to bite the bullet on some of these things."

The city commission must approve its budget by Oct. 1.

I guess it was a rumor...... 1 year later, still not green!

Why don't you guys at PBSO take Sheriff Lamberti off our hands he is a great Sheriff you guys will like him allot. We will miss him but we will make the sacrifice for our fellow LEO's.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123