FOP Facts and questions (FAQ)

FOP Facts and questions (FAQ)

Sorry to bother you guys but I believe it is important for all Members to know their rights as an FOP member. It is imperative to know when you need a Rep, the importance of being a member, and your rights as a member.

Here are a few questions that officers might want to know. Also feel free to add any questions by placing a reply to this post. Hope we get a reply on this thanks.

1 ) What benefits are you entitled to being a member of the FOP?

2 ) When and how should an FOP rep be called?

3 ) What are the benefits of attending the FOP meetings?

4 ) What should you do when you feel your the target of the administration or IA?

5 ) Can any request for a rep be denied?

6 ) When are we entitled to legal advisors/attorney?
    (like would Nunez be entitled to an attorney even in his circumstance as a member or would he incur all court cost. And/or we are involved in a shooting and they try to file charges.)

7 ) What are common reasons for filing grievances?

8 ) Where can I locate an FOP rep for any particular questions or advise?
    (see my request on bottom)

9 ) Requirements to becoming an FOP rep?

10 ) where can I get updates if I miss a meeting?

11 ) What won't/can't do for a member?

12 ) Do we have an official site specifically for Miami police FOP?

I could go on forever asking questions. I just think it is important that the FOP be more involved with our officers. Feel free to add more questions and help guide officers on how to better protect themselves.

NOTE:
    FOP I plead to you to make a list of all active FOP reps with contact numbers and shift hours. If you haven't noticed in the past few month people have called for fop reps and can't find one over the air. Also update it every shift change if you can. I haven't been to South station in awhile but I remember a rep list that was grossly outdated.

simple, we have a meeting tomm. go to it, get up, and asked those questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    simple, we have a meeting tomm. go to it, get up, and asked those questions.
    This is not for my personal knowledge! This is for those who can't attend the meetings, who read the forums. I have attended meetings and unfortunately can't make every single one of them. I would have answered several of those questions I posted above but I'm only a member of the FOP and I'd hate to misguide/mislead anyone by answering a question incorrectly. It is better if it was "From the horses mouth". This information ONLY benefits us as members and I see no harm of information that is geared towards helping members, which most here are, be posted on this forums.

With that said,
    I Want everyone in this department to be protected. We all are in a career that makes us automatically Guilty until proven innocent. The only thing protecting us is the FOP and our common sense. We can change this department we just need to unify and be patient.

Ok. Sorry, I misunderstood you, good question, why dont you email the FOP

OFFICER CALZADILLA,

youre dumb. you are a nobody. crying on behalf of the chief.

email ortiz at javier.ortiz@miami-police.org

or daniel.kerr@miami-police.org

leave your number and im sure they will answer them

Re: FOP Facts and questions (FAQ)

Ill give it a shot.

Here are a few questions that officers might want to know. Also feel free to add any questions by placing a reply to this post. Hope we get a reply on this thanks.

1 ) What benefits are you entitled to being a member of the FOP?

This is a question that could have a 10 page answer. One of the biggest benefits of being a member is legal defense. If you are accused of something that is within the scope of your profession and the legal defense committee (and members) approve, you will have representation by the union lawyers. In my opinion, and I have a bunch of those, the FOP #20 lawyers understand the ins and out of accusations made against police officers and have decades of experience in defending those accusations. If I get shot, there is no place I want to be then at JMH, if I have to shoot, there is no place I’d rather be then in Cohens office.

2 ) When and how should an FOP rep be called?

We have reps on almost every shift. It’s been awhile since we’ve had a class and one is being planned in the near future. If you can’t find a rep within your own shift, have your supervisor call the complaint room and they will try city wide. If you still don’t get a response the bridge will notify an executive board member and they will arrange for one. Remember, by contract you have an hour to get a rep or they (IA, your sergeant, etc) will have to provide one for you. Its important to remember this is not a self executing right (like Miranda) you have to ask for a rep, only then do they have to give you one.

What happens if you ask for a rep and they refuse you? Remember you always comply first, grieve later. Never disobey a lawful direct order, you will prevail in the long run.

3 ) What are the benefits of attending the FOP meetings?

Besides the delicious food, you will be up to date with everything that went on that month and anything that is planned in the future. You wont need to check leoaffairs (or other excellent blogs that report on the meetings) in order to find out what happened. If you are working during the meetings your supervisor will allow you to take a 10 and attend. If you are having a problem with this (obviously, the entire shift can’t go) let an executive board member know and they will help you out.

4 ) What should you do when you feel your the target of the administration or IA?

KNOW YOUR RIGHTS

FL State Statutes 112.532 and 112.533.
    The Contract
    The Departmental Orders

In that order.
    You should know this by the back of your hand. Do not be ashamed to ask for your rights. Unless you’ve been to IA dozens of times, it’s a stressful experience and you may now know what you can or can’t do. Make sure you get the most experienced rep you can get and if you have a question… ask it.

5 ) Can any request for a rep be denied?

Anything can be denied. Follow orders first, object on the record (if you can) and when you’re done, run (don’t walk) to the FOP.

6 ) When are we entitled to legal advisors/attorney?
    (like would Nunez be entitled to an attorney even in his circumstance as a member or would he incur all court cost. And/or we are involved in a shooting and they try to file charges.)

Because Nunez’s actions were not in performance of his duties he would most likely be denied legal representation by the union. Again this is decided by the legal defense committee and is put up for a vote in the executive board and general meeting. I do not know if a case where an officer was involved in a work related shooting and did not receive legal defense. But…. Its never a bad idea to have your own lawyer on standby, just in case.

7 ) What are common reasons for filing grievances?

Many many reasons, but they are all basically a violation of the contract or the terms and conditions of employment.

8 ) Where can I locate an FOP rep for any particular questions or advise?
    (see my request on bottom)

9 ) Requirements to becoming an FOP rep?

Sign up for the class. See the TFS Central midnights officer (exe-board member) and he will arrange for you to take the next class.

10 ) where can I get updates if I miss a meeting?

www.miamipolicefop.blogspot.com This is not a sanctioned website and the grammar is atrocious but it gets the job done.

11 ) What won't/can't do for a member?

Hunh?

12 ) Do we have an official site specifically for Miami police FOP?

www.miamifop20.com

This is being updated and should be ready in about a month. There will be a question/answer area for members only.

I could go on forever asking questions. I just think it is important that the FOP be more involved with our officers. Feel free to add more questions and help guide officers on how to better protect themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    OFFICER CALZADILLA,

youre dumb. you are a nobody. crying on behalf of the chief.
    Did he really cry?

Excellent post.

If you ever get into a bind and can't get a rep, either call the complaint room or get on the radio. They have all our numbers on file. Also ask around because someone is bound to have them also.

and if you ever get frank as a rep call another one