Merger
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Merger

Merger

Thought some of you might like an update on the merger – at least the little bit that I’m aware of. The Sheriff’s Office has sent the City a “final” proposal that consists of a spreadsheet detailing the cost and a cover letter that outlines contract renewal increases for the first three years and goes on to ask for a more comprehensive response, presumably from the city. To my knowledge, no contract was delivered for the Commission to consider, so I’m left with the impression that there’s more to be negotiated. As far as a timetable, without a contract to consider, I don’t know how the Commission can act on anything this week in time for the Sheriff to address the next County Commission meeting, if that is his intention. Maybe the contract is being put together now. I don’t know but I sure hope so. This has gone on long enough.

In less than 3 months, the Commission has to approve next years budget. If not PBSO, then what? And how? And how much?

So it’s more wait and see. I remain hopeful that a public meeting will be called, maybe at the LW High School auditorium, where all the interested parties can finally resolve this one way or the other and allow the public to learn what the future holds for law enforcement in Lake Worth. Anyone can contact me at 602-8874 or marylindsey33460@gmail.com

M.

Re: Merger

Quote Originally Posted by Mary L.
    Thought some of you might like an update on the merger – at least the little bit that I’m aware of. The Sheriff’s Office has sent the City a “final” proposal that consists of a spreadsheet detailing the cost and a cover letter that outlines contract renewal increases for the first three years and goes on to ask for a more comprehensive response, presumably from the city. To my knowledge, no contract was delivered for the Commission to consider, so I’m left with the impression that there’s more to be negotiated. As far as a timetable, without a contract to consider, I don’t know how the Commission can act on anything this week in time for the Sheriff to address the next County Commission meeting, if that is his intention. Maybe the contract is being put together now. I don’t know but I sure hope so. This has gone on long enough.

In less than 3 months, the Commission has to approve next years budget. If not PBSO, then what? And how? And how much?

So it’s more wait and see. I remain hopeful that a public meeting will be called, maybe at the LW High School auditorium, where all the interested parties can finally resolve this one way or the other and allow the public to learn what the future holds for law enforcement in Lake Worth. Anyone can contact me at 602-8874 or marylindsey33460@gmail.com

M.
    Once again, thank you Mary for your assistance. Keep us informed, because the city does not.

Thank you Mary. It is truly sad that the City and the police department think so little of thier employees that they keep them in dark for close to a year.

update

Word is a contract should be hammered out by tomorrow afternoon and then it's up to the city to call a special meeting to approve or reject, or just wait until the regular commission meeting next Tuesday if we have that long before the offer expires. I'm in favor of a special meeting this week devoted to this important issue.

In other news, the Sheriff is hosting a barbeque this coming Saturday, July 12 from 11am to 3pm at John Prince Park in the Center Drive Pavilion. No cost to attend and no campaign contributions for the Sheriff's re-election will be accepted. Strikes me as a great opportunity to show support for the merger.

Countdown

Today’s meeting with the negotiating team, Chief Smith, City Manager Baldwin, Administrative Services Director Bates, Commissioner Vespo and Major Veccia is critical. A contract called a LESA (Law Enforcement Service Agreement) must come out of this meeting. Whatever points of negotiation remain have to be finalized today in order to have a LESA ready for the City Commission to accept or reject in time to meet the Sheriff’s deadline (this Friday) which has already been extended by a month. The Commission will have to call a special meeting in order to vote on the contract and that can only happen in one of two ways. Either the Mayor calls for a special meeting no later than tomorrow, Thursday (24 hour notice is required by law), or one of the Commissioners can ask for special meeting and the City Clerk then has to poll the other Commissioners and receive a majority consent to have the meeting. The same 24 hour notice is required.

So if the LESA is not finalized today and the special Commission meeting is not called for by Thursday, there can be no Commission vote on this contract in time to meet the deadline and the opportunity to provide Lake Worth residents and Lake Worth officers with all the resources and administrative support they need to keep this city from sliding into utter chaos and lawlessness will be lost. This is not a matter of go with the PBSO or return to the status quo. The status quo has deteriorated while this year long stand-off has endured delay after delay. The city is calling for 10% cuts across the board in every dept. The city is not in the widget business. The city is in the service providing business and that means PEOPLE. I seriously doubt if the criminals are ready to voluntarily cut their activities by 10%.

Even if the city chooses to exempt the Police dept from budget cuts, all that means is bigger than 10% cuts in other departments as well as another year of not filling vacant positions already in Police department. And that’s only if everyone currently employed by LWPD decides to stay employed by LWPD and there aren’t MORE vacant positions.

I’m an optimistic person by nature and I choose to believe that everyone involved is going to step up and do the right thing. It’s not an easy decision. There are consequences that involve sacrifice and unpopular decisions. Some ill-informed people view the merger as giving away another piece of our city. Some people fear losing control, as if crime in LW was under control now!

Make no mistake. This is a political decision that will be made by politicians who will reap the rewards or suffer the consequences depending on how they decide. The public, the employees and even the criminals have nothing to do but wait and see if Lake Worth will be a home for families or a haven for drug dealers, prostitutes, thieves and thugs.

God protect all of you and all of us in Lake Worth.
    M.

Thank you for the insightful posts. Today is Thursday any more info on what's to come?

What's to come

An agreement with the Sheriff has been reached but before the Commission votes on it there are several issues the city has to work out with the union. The Sheriff has agreed to a short extension to give the city and the union time to do that. So, we'll see.

Actually, this may be the biggest hurdle.

what is it that the city and the union need to go over? I do not understand. if the Sheriff and the city commission came to an agreement. what is the hold up for?
    how long is this extension? Could the deal fall apart if the commission and the union disagree?

The extension is until the 18th. No agreement, no deal.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast