Dear BSO Retirees: What Would You Have Done.... - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

GEORGIA

Check out Jasper, Ellijay, Dawsonville, or Cumming Georgia also..
    About an hour from Atlanta, and just outside of Cherokee County GA .. great hospitals, shopping, everything you want.. but NO big city crime. Views are great at the tip of MTN range.. we only had 3 snow falls last year .. a dusting... great springs, summer and falls.. near Lake Lanier. And the State Income tax.. dont let thaa scare you.. on $ 85,000.00 I paid less than $ 800.00 but you more than make up for it in lower housing, insurance car and home.. and taxes... I live on 3 acres, heavy wooded, 4200 sq foot home, custom made and only paid $ 325,000.00 for everything.. our development has no associaton fees, water fees, etc.. 15 minutes from the GA Outlet Mall with all major stores.. I would also rent for a year in whatever area you choose to see if you like the area.. Its a much slower pace something that is different from S FL.. Also check out Castelberry Ridge in Lumpkin County.. acre lots with custom homes.. in the low 200's with speactacular mtn views.. http://www.castleberry-ridge.com/index. ... e&Itemid=1
    http://www.wciproperties.com/yellowcreek.htm
    Good Luck..

Newport

We picked Newport because it has all we needed (grocery, Lowes, Wal-Mart, most chain restaurants, etc) and it was away from the crowds and quiet. Dandridge is also nice (about 20 minutes west of here). Wanted mountain view w/ rolling pasture land.

If we want to deal with the crowds or do major shopping, we go to Sevierville, 30 min away, or Knoxville 45 min away. Huge outlet mall in S-Ville and a good sized mall and Sam's club in K-Ville. Traffic there is a bear though.

This may not fit what you are looking for, but like Retired FL LEO 2 said, maybe rent a month and see if you like it before you commit.

As far a money goes, I stayed in FL for 14 months before the move - waiting for the house to get done. I survived there and are living like a millionaire here (seems like). The avg income here is 20k a year. A bit of a culture shock, but we love it.

RETIREMENT LOCATION

After much research and about 3 years before retiring, I decided to buy some land in Washington state in Spokane Valley. As far as the weather, there is alot less humidity here than on the east coast, now at 10:43 am Pacific time it is 69.3 F with 51% humidity. The 12.5 acres of mountain land I purchased was about 9500.00 per acre, with lots of native pine trees. Wildlife is abundant here, moose elk, deer, bear, mountain lion, wild turkey, just to name a few. There is no state income tax here, you are not taxed on food that you buy at the grocery store and for gasoline I go to Costco in nearby Coeur D' Alene, ID where gas prices as of yesterday was $3.92 a gallon. My home and auto insurance is less than half of what I was paying in Broward county. This area also boasts the distinction of having the country's best quality water. There is plenty of activities here to keep one busy. Shopping is very convenient, plenty of stores to choose from. One of the best things about this area, no rude people. Just make sure you start to plan about 2 or 3 years if you are going to relocate outside Florida.

Nice

Sounds great... but the cold is something I am still not used too.. amazing that when you get into the real AMERICA outside of S FL.. people in small towns are not rude and real simple folks.. like you said plan early.. and I would rent to see what area I like the best before buying.. many good buys around the country... things to consider also are hospitals, airports, shopping food, entertainment, and other stuff... and are you cut out to move to a small town... I wasnt prepared and need to learn to settle down... and enjoy... take your time... and when you are gone... only a handful will remember or ever call you!

retire

Guys, I have a question. Someone wrote that as you near retirement sometimes BSO will mess with you, and try to initiate an unfounded charge in order to screw you out of your retirement.

What if your already in the DROP Plan? Since you're technically retired there shouldn't be anything BSO can do to screw you out of your retirement.

Also, I know the northeast (NY, NJ, MA, PA? etc) is more expensive, but are there any retirees that have moved in that location? If so can you share your experience?

Looking to call it a day in another year and wife isn't interested in TN, GA or Carolina's

Re: retire

Quote Originally Posted by Very close
    Guys, I have a question. Someone wrote that as you near retirement sometimes BSO will mess with you, and try to initiate an unfounded charge in order to screw you out of your retirement.

What if your already in the DROP Plan? Since you're technically retired there shouldn't be anything BSO can do to screw you out of your retirement.

Also, I know the northeast (NY, NJ, MA, PA? etc) is more expensive, but are there any retirees that have moved in that location? If so can you share your experience?

Looking to call it a day in another year and wife isn't interested in TN, GA or Carolina's
    Once you reach the DROP I believe you can leave at any time without fear of losing your retirement. Your DROP locks in your retirement esentially so while you're in the DROP you are like a member of the "KMA CLUB". As for where to retire, see if your wife may be interested in the "Great Northwest", it has alot of advantages.

Re: retire

[quote=Retired BSO]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Very close":3fugrcau

Once you reach the DROP I believe you can leave at any time without fear of losing your retirement. Your DROP locks in your retirement esentially so while you're in the DROP you are like a member of the "KMA CLUB". As for where to retire, see if your wife may be interested in the "Great Northwest", it has alot of advantages.[/quote:3fugrcau]

If you are in the drop, they can still mess with you. Brian B just left a few months ago and IA mysteriously found a 2 year old annonymous complaint to hold up his sick time payout. If he did not have contacts in the upper ups, he would still be waiting for his money. This was even after IA signed off on his check out sheet saying nothing was active!!! Tyical downtown.

You can also qualify for HR218 before you go. Marty Katz can help you with that.

To all the 10-7 Deputies on this thread, we thank you. Your responses give us something to look forward too. Thank you for your service and your valued information that you contributed in your retirement. Enjoy life to it's fullest, you all deserve it.

Quote Originally Posted by Retiree's
    To all the 10-7 Deputies on this thread, we thank you. Your responses give us something to look forward too. Thank you for your service and your valued information that you contributed in your retirement. Enjoy life to it's fullest, you all deserve it.
    Great Post..I am almost there. TP

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast