Dear BSO Retirees: What Would You Have Done.... - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sick payout

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Truth or Fiction?

Several retired deputies have fought for their "over the cap" sick time payouts and gotten them as long as they signed a "can't talk about it" contract?

I know what you guys are going to say...and shame on me for letting my sick time get this high...but I've got about 1000 hours over the cap for doing the right thing during my 30+ year career. Just wondering if there is a possible way to cash it all out.

Never thought I'd write this on this blog, but anonymous suggestions are welcome!
    8) SORRY, CAN'T TALK ABOUT IT 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Truth or Fiction?

Several retired deputies have fought for their "over the cap" sick time payouts and gotten them as long as they signed a "can't talk about it" contract?

I know what you guys are going to say...and shame on me for letting my sick time get this high...but I've got about 1000 hours over the cap for doing the right thing during my 30+ year career. Just wondering if there is a possible way to cash it all out.

Never thought I'd write this on this blog, but anonymous suggestions are welcome!
    Timing is everything. With the incredible shrinking budget funds may not be available. Test the waters first but the same offers may not be available tody, don't forget there is a new group in admin....

my 2 cents

I am retired from an FRS agancy, although not from BSO. I was just surfing the site and found this post.

Two things -

1. Be sure that if your last physical date of work is a specific date (say Sept. 30), don't date your paperwork for October 1st to start your retirement. I was told that as long as I didn't physically work a day in the first month after I retired (day of actual work), I would get a check - NOT. I had to go back and have FRS change the date and I got my first (missed) payment along with my next one. (FRS folks said it wasn't a big deal, it happens alot)

2. Options - I took option #1 to get the most money - I worked for it, I want it. The down side is that if I die before my wife, she gets no more payments. I took out a life insurance policy for that. If I had taken the option to get her money after I was gone, my benefit would have been just over 1/2 of what I get now.

I moved to Tennessee (like almost everyone else) and am living in a new home on my pension alone, with no problem. My wife retired from PBSO after 22 yrs as a civilian and her money is in the investment plan. She has that to fall back on when I am gone too. If I am still around when she is 59 1/2, she can let it draw more interest.

Car insurance is less than 1/2 and homeowners is 1/7th what it was in Florida. We went back to Florida in April for one day for a retirement party - We made the right decision.

Like the others say, look at everything before you pull the plug. Be informed and enjoy what you have earned.

Be safe......

Insurance

Tenn BSO retiree.. what are you doing about insurance. I too am retired,living in another state just southeast of you.. and I need family insurance for one more year.. we are paying almost $10,000.00 a year for insurance.. I was not FRS but a city plan.. good retirement plan.. but insurance sucks! Any suggestions?

Re: my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Light
    I am retired from an FRS agancy, although not from BSO. I was just surfing the site and found this post.

Two things -

1. Be sure that if your last physical date of work is a specific date (say Sept. 30), don't date your paperwork for October 1st to start your retirement. I was told that as long as I didn't physically work a day in the first month after I retired (day of actual work), I would get a check - NOT. I had to go back and have FRS change the date and I got my first (missed) payment along with my next one. (FRS folks said it wasn't a big deal, it happens alot)

2. Options - I took option #1 to get the most money - I worked for it, I want it. The down side is that if I die before my wife, she gets no more payments. I took out a life insurance policy for that. If I had taken the option to get her money after I was gone, my benefit would have been just over 1/2 of what I get now.

I moved to Tennessee (like almost everyone else) and am living in a new home on my pension alone, with no problem. My wife retired from PBSO after 22 yrs as a civilian and her money is in the investment plan. She has that to fall back on when I am gone too. If I am still around when she is 59 1/2, she can let it draw more interest.

Car insurance is less than 1/2 and homeowners is 1/7th what it was in Florida. We went back to Florida in April for one day for a retirement party - We made the right decision.

Like the others say, look at everything before you pull the plug. Be informed and enjoy what you have earned.

Be safe......
    Where in Tn. do you live?

Home in Tn

I live in Newport, about 45 min east of Knoxville off I-40. Close to the sights (Gatlinburg, Sevierville, Ashville) but quiet !!!! There are about a dozen others here from PBSO, Dade and other city PD's here in town and more comin in a couple years. It is an old town and not mouch to look at but it has all you need and you are only a short drive to any 'wants' you have.

Re: Home in Tn

[quote="Blue Light"]I live in Newport, about 45 min east of Knoxville off I-40. Close to the sights (Gatlinburg, Sevierville, Ashville) but quiet !!!! There are about a dozen others here from PBSO, Dade and other city PD's here in town and more comin in a couple years. It is an old town and not mouch to look at but it has all you need and you are only a short drive to any 'wants' you have.[/quote

I was in the Crossville area two weeks ago looking in the Cumberland Cove area. Thanks for your response, I will be checking out the Newport area next. I'm about 11 months away from making the big move.

General S/14

Go to City-data.com and plug in Newport, TN (or whatever city) and it gives your everything you need to know - demographics, weather, income info, gov't info, tv/radio, school.everything......

Also, the weather - you are not in tornado alley and the severe weather seems to go around us because of the mountains. Only a few inches of snow a year, mostly dusting.

If you are coming this way from Broward, it is about an hour shorter to take 95 to I-26 in SC, then to I-40 in Asheville and cut over. About 10.5 - 11 hours driving.

Hope that helps...

Re: General S/14

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Light
    Go to City-data.com and plug in Newport, TN (or whatever city) and it gives your everything you need to know - demographics, weather, income info, gov't info, tv/radio, school.everything......

Also, the weather - you are not in tornado alley and the severe weather seems to go around us because of the mountains. Only a few inches of snow a year, mostly dusting.

If you are coming this way from Broward, it is about an hour shorter to take 95 to I-26 in SC, then to I-40 in Asheville and cut over. About 10.5 - 11 hours driving.

Hope that helps...
    Thanks for the info. I have been using City-data.com often looking for the right place. Apart from the weather is there anything in particular that made you chose Newport ?

Retired from BSO 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Guest 25 yrs.@ 46
    Stay on top of HR and Payroll at BSO.Make sure they submit the required information in time to FRS.The people at FRS are excellent,no issues at all.Hang in their,try to control the stress and be safe.When you make it to the end,the retirement thing is excellent.
    My first suggestion is don't retire unless you have a minimum of one months salary or two would be better. You get your FRS checks at the end of the month and it will take time for BSO HR/Payroll to get your final compensation tally to FRS due to your sick leave payout which will take almost a month. So during that time you have to have money to pay your bills! It cost me about $7000 that month waiting for the FRS Check.

As far as getting your SL payout you should get whatever the PBA contract says and it will be a nice check and will pump up your final numbers which is why there will be a delay in getting your first FRS Check.

Also if you want to keep up your dental and Vision insurance your have to make sure the girl in HR emails them to let them know your retired or you will fall behind in your monthly premiums and will have to play catch up like I did. Also FRS will mail you you HIS (Health Insurance Subsidy)form after your first month to apply for the $150 a month toward your health insurance. You have to take it physically to to BSO HR to Employee Benefits and have your insurance Rep fill it out and sign it or FRS will not accept it, no fax copies. I kept VISTA HMO and with the 50% BSO pays I pay $518 a month for family coverage, and now that I have the FRS HIS subtact 150.00 from that. You can get the HIS money retroactive for up to 6 months.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast