Applying for FHP needs opinions suggestions etc., - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Applying for FHP needs opinions suggestions etc.,

Quote Originally Posted by Positive Troop
    Quote Originally Posted by OB
    Hi guys,

Looking to joining the Force, I just printed out the application. I will definitely start fresh with no experience. Aside from the CJbat which I have past in the past , anything else I should know such as the process , how long it will take, pay, etc.,
    \Any info would help !

Thanks!
    Based on your screen name information you are from Miami. The good news is that there are openings there!

The best advice I can give you is to do your homework. Anytime I talk to people looking to go into law enforcement, I tell them to check out many departments. In the Miami area, there are plenty of agencies for you to look into. See what their day to day workload is like. I can only speak for myself and will in no way try to speak for all of FHP.

This site has a majority of posts that we could call "negative." There are some unhappy Troopers around the state for a variety of reasons. I don't know how working conditions are in each part of the state...each Troop is a different highway patrol for certain topics.

The biggest complaint about FHP is pay. I hate how low we are paid and no step program in place to make you want to stay. Basically you either stay because you really enjoy your job or you leave for money. Many Troopers that leave have said they enjoyed the job..but had to leave because of money. I personally will not be leaving because in my area (NE florida) our pay is actually close to most other agencies. However, with 10 years of experience they make more money.

However, having loved ones who work for other agencies, I know personally that their job is not for me. I enjoy doing traffic related duties...that is my primary focus. I like it out on the Interstate system. Not all agencies will have exciting days everyday. I get bored out here, but then I try harder to get into something. I am not a big ticket writer, but I do try to stop plenty of cars for violations. There is no telling what you will get into or who you will stop. I am fortunate to work in an area where I am not running crash to crash...if I was in a place like that, I would transfer. I work my crashes, help my disabled vehicles, but I would rather be stopping cars.

Another issue is the lack of opportunites to do something different. While other departments may have many special units, etc...we are limited. Unless you want to do THI, BOI, or CIP...there isn't much else to do except promote. Again, do you research into what you want to do in law enforcement. If you want to track down fugitives or get involved with gangs (for instance)...pass on us.

Our training leaves much to be desired. I will only assume that it is due to lack of funding. Don't expect to get any special classes unless they are free (and then you still may get denied).

There are more negatives, but you can read through the other posts on this site to learn them. I think what you read on here will probably prepare you for the complaining that goes on in the field. But don't think we are the only agencies with negative issues. I can only recommend you talk to real officers...not recruiters. Recruiters are simply looking for you to sign up and tell you everything you want to hear. Talk to the guy with 5-10 years and see what their thoughts are. That seems to be a good "burned out" time for most people.

I do have positives though (and I write these knowing this site will bash me).

1) Freedom-I can write 1000 tickets a month or 50, I won't hear anything about it. I don't see my supervisor unless we are hanging out.

2) Time off- in my area, I have never been denied time off--but this may not be the case statewide with shortages.

3) Plenty of OT/Hireback- If I want to work 32 + extra hours a week to buy a new toy, the opportunity is there. This is always nice around the holidays. Some departments in NE florida are losing all their OT due to cutbacks (this is not a rumor). Of course, our OT and hirebacks may be cut in the future...but as of now...it is not. So our base pay may not be the best...but there is opportunity to make more if you want.

4) Details: This one will probably get me bashed-but I still enjoy the details. I like to go around the State for hurricanes, races, etc. to get away from the house . It just mixes things up.

5) Take home cars-not a big deal since most agencies allow the same..but it is nice to not have to commute.

6) Good co-workers-I happen to work in an area where Troopers work together. There is little to no "loners" who do their own thing. We hang out when off duty...like a big family. I know for sure that this is not the case in many places around the state within FHP. I am lucky to have people who I can trust working with me.

7) Supervisors-Hard to believe (based on the posts on LEOAFFAIRS) but I have good supervisors that know their job...and how to treat their workers.

I could go on and on, but I would just be opening up myself for more bashing. All I can say is do your homework.
    1) Figure out what type of law enforcement you want to do
    2) Investigate the departments that do the job you want to do.

Don't start sending applications to everyone and join the first that take you. That will just lead to headaches down the road.

Good luck with your future. We can always use another Trooper..but only if you want to be with us.
    good post

Positive Trooper,

I really enjoyed reading your posts on this thread. Your comments were insightful and truthful.

All agencies have their good and bad qualities. The only real major problem FHP has is the pay. Not sure if that will ever be fixed.

There are good supervisors and there are bad supervisors and that is the fault of their supervisors for not taking the appropriate actions to correct them.

Again, thanks for the great posts.

Captain Jeffrey L. Succi

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Succi
    The only real major problem FHP has is the pay.

Captain Jeffrey L. Succi
    Are you for sure about that? How about manpower, training, and equipment just to name a few?

Firearms training once a year is absolutely crazy. We are police for Christ's sake and I can promise most troopers only pull their guns out of their holsters once a year. Even when we do "train" we stand in front a target, draw, fire a few shots, and reholster. That is about as far from real life as you can get.

Another issue is equipment. We are a higway patrol. All we do is traffic and yet most troopers have never touched a laser and we have virtually no unmarked cars. Our proactive traffic enforcement ways have not changed since the 1970s.

People are not leaving FHP just because of the pay, I can promise you that!

How strict is FHP on this weight/height non-sense. I'm doing my test in Orlando, and for being 6'00 I'm suppose to be at 204.. I wasn't 204 when I was in my prime in the academy 11 years ago.. LOL... so..

Is FHP looking for "thiner" models or some troops with meat on their bones (and I don't mean a lard a$$)

Thanks

204 pounds isn't that much for being 6'. Lift a lot of weights and a 6' person could easily weigh well over 225 and have less than 10% body fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous

Captain Jeffrey L. Succi
    Are you for sure about that? How about manpower, training, and equipment just to name a few?

Firearms training once a year is absolutely crazy. We are police for Christ's sake and I can promise most troopers only pull their guns out of their holsters once a year. Even when we do "train" we stand in front a target, draw, fire a few shots, and reholster. That is about as far from real life as you can get.

Another issue is equipment. We are a higway patrol. All we do is traffic and yet most troopers have never touched a laser and we have virtually no unmarked cars. Our proactive traffic enforcement ways have not changed since the 1970s.

we need more unmarked!

Captain Jeffrey L. Succi

we need more unmarked!

Captain Jeffrey L. Succi

As I stated the major problem is pay. Are there things we could do better, YES. Is there equipment we don't have and probably should have, YES.

I don't understand the laser issue as I know there were numerous lasers bought for each troop. What they are doing with them I don't know. I did get everyone in my district certified in laser and we have approximately 8 lasers for 15 troopers, 6 corporals, 4 sergeant, 1 lieutenant and 1 captain to use.

There are lasers in each troop, what they are doing with them I don't know. I post what I know to be the truth, but I don't set policy and procedures for the agency, those are Staff issues.

There are more things going on than most troopers know, we just don't communicate very well. That is why I post here on Leo Affairs and also put out emails statewide on many different things. I do limit myself to what I'm willing to put out on the State email as that should be coming from a Staff level position.

Does FHP have some issues, yes, but overall it is not a bad agency and yes there are many things we could/should do better.

Now disagree with me all you want, but if the pay was where it should be, we would not be losing troopers as we have.

The question should always be "What are you doing to make a difference?" Everyone employeed by FHP has a dog in this fight and it takes everyone to make it better.

I have many issues with what has been done and what is being done, but I try my best to make the agency better. If everyone would try we could be better.

Captain Jeffrey L. Succi

[quote=Captain Succi]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Captain Succi":2mn7tu3b

Captain Jeffrey L. Succi

As I stated the major problem is pay. Are there things we could do better, YES. Is there equipment we don't have and probably should have, YES.

I don't understand the laser issue as I know there were numerous lasers bought for each troop. What they are doing with them I don't know. I did get everyone in my district certified in laser and we have approximately 8 lasers for 15 troopers, 6 corporals, 4 sergeant, 1 lieutenant and 1 captain to use.

There are lasers in each troop, what they are doing with them I don't know. I post what I know to be the truth, but I don't set policy and procedures for the agency, those are Staff issues.

There are more things going on than most troopers know, we just don't communicate very well. That is why I post here on Leo Affairs and also put out emails statewide on many different things. I do limit myself to what I'm willing to put out on the State email as that should be coming from a Staff level position.

Does FHP have some issues, yes, but overall it is not a bad agency and yes there are many things we could/should do better.

Now disagree with me all you want, but if the pay was where it should be, we would not be losing troopers as we have.

The question should always be "What are you doing to make a difference?" Everyone employeed by FHP has a dog in this fight and it takes everyone to make it better.

I have many issues with what has been done and what is being done, but I try my best to make the agency better. If everyone would try we could be better.

Captain Jeffrey L. Succi[/quote:2mn7tu3b]

I consider my training and manpower more of a major problem than the low pay. Low pay will not get me killed, not directly at least. This horrible training needs to be fixed, like 10 years ago. Besides the pay, the main reason I'm leaving is because I want better training. I want to feel safe and properly prepared in my job, FHP has not provided that to me. I thank God I shot for years prior to taking a job with FHP. At least I can fall back on that experience when the SHTF.

We have people running FHP that have more in common with the command staff at a bank than a real LE agency. This job is not a game. Now it is unreasonable that we all be equipped like a soldier in Iraq, but the current way is also just as unreasonable.

[quote=Captain Succi]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Captain Succi":iutbx11q

Captain Jeffrey L. Succi

Captain Jeffrey L. Succi[/quote:iutbx11q]

We try to bring up issues, but those of us that do are labeled disgruntled or whiners. There are many people at FHP that see obsolutely nothing wrong with the way things are being conducted. When somebody finally calls them out on it then that person is labeled. Been there done that.

Personally, I don't even feel it is my position or responsibility to try and fix things. I am shocked how out of touch some things are here at FHP. Recently, I have put a fake smile on my face, tried to make the best of things, and await that phone call from another agency.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast