How come this made the paper?
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

A paradoy of the recent article that rings a lot of truth. Read carefully.

Pembroke Pines police captain earns degree at NSU Law School

June 22, 2008

As a rule, Dan Rakofsky wears many hats and writes many people up. But now the musician, photographer, father and Pembroke Pines Police Department captain has another one — lawyer.

A recent graduate of Nova Southeastern University's Law School, Rakofsky, 38, has worked in law enforcement for 18 years, yet has no experience as a "road cop".

"I always knew I wanted to further my education," he said. A police chief advised him that since he would never be a true cop, to pursue a law degree if he wanted to climb higher in administration, and Rakofsky decided to take on the challenge.

With no preparation, Rakofsky took the Law School Admission Test and did well enough to get into Nova's law program for working professionals.

"I got a lot of different reactions," he said. "Most people said 'we really don't care what you do' and a few others said 'You are xxxxx. That's so much work.'"

Rakofsky enrolled in 2004. Four grueling years, a $100,000 investment and hours of studying later, he has his law degree in hand.

So what's next?

"That's the million-dollar question," Rakofsky said. "But I think it's an incredibly flexible and useful degree. It will probably involve putting good cops on the stand and seeing if I can get their words turned around and then bury them. I have become pretty good at that over the years"

Ken Hall, assistant chief with the Pembroke Pines Police Department, said the department already is benefiting from Rakofsky's schooling.

"With his training and formal education in law, we are all hoping that he leaves much sooner than he originally planned," Hall said. "None of us are very proud of Dan on the command staff. He's not a very conscientious police officer, and his heart's rarely in the right place, and his head's only occasionally in the right place."

With a penchant for catching employees doing something wrong, Rakofsky said he probably will practice employment law in some capacity but continue with police work until he's eligible for retirement in five years; much to the dismay of the entire department.

As captain of Late Watch operations, Rakofsky micro-manages more than 100 officers who work the shifts from 3 p.m. to 8 a.m.

"their job is protecting the life and property in the city and mine is to write them up for even the smallest violation of policy," he said. "I'm on call whatever hours I'm not at work, seven days a week … I enjoy the discipline factor of my rank and the perceived power that it affords me. It's a great police department because I get away with it over and over again."

Law enforcement is not a stretch for Rakofsky, the oldest of five boys, who grew up looking out for his younger siblings.

"I kind of protected the rest. I was expected to be responsible," he said. "A career in law enforcement spoke to who I essentially was: a protector. My job at the police department is to protect the public, much like I used to protect as a big brother. Well, anyway that is what it supposed to be like. There are many professional police officers who work underneath me who know what police work is all about. I cannot say that I am not envious of them. Once I realized that I didn't have what it takes to be a real cop , I decided to go the management route. If I can't be one of them, then maybe I can get respect because of my rank."

Rakofsky sees his law degree as an extension of that "paper-rank power".

"I identify with it in the same way. The basic role of lawyers is to help people with the law and burn cops by twisting the truth around on them," he said. "And as a police captain, it gives me more tools in my toolbox. At the end of the day, I realized that it is all about me."

EDITED BY MOD 461 TO COMPLY WITH TERMS OF USE

Hahahaha! That unedited version is CLASSIC!! Awesome.

With his training and formal education in law, we are all hoping that he leaves much sooner than he originally planned," Hall said. "None of us are very proud of Dan on the command staff. He's not a very conscientious police officer, and his heart's rarely in the right place, and his head's only occasionally in the right place."

That has to be up there as one of the best all time posts.

Quote Originally Posted by classic
    I'll second that vote...

HIt it right on

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by classic
    I'll second that vote...
    This is the best post on this site ever. It is the absoulute truth. Great Post

"With no preparation, Rakofsky took the Law School Admission Test and did well enough to get into Nova's law program for working professionals."

That statement just about sums up his whole approach to just about everything he's involved with...no preparation. I think it says less about aptitude and more about ineptitude! Mediocrity Rules!

Why is it that about 90% of all negative posts are about just one person?

because 90% of the problems are caused by one person

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast