Arizona sheriff apprehends illegals: Sparks controversy

Senior Member LEO Affairs Captain

Quote Originally Posted by David Schwartz, Reuters
    PHOENIX - Frustrated by a steady flow of illegal Mexican immigrants into Arizona, Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio has decided have deputies apprehend illegal immigrants.

Now he faces an onslaught of criticism from Hispanic activists who say that illegal immigrants should be free from police persecution.

"What right does anyone have to tell me what my priorities are?" Arpaio said in a recent interview. "I'm the elected sheriff."

Across the country, state and local officials have taken steps to curb illegal immigration. More than 240 immigration-related measures were passed last year.

Arpaio says he has received an outpouring of support for his effort in the form of letters and donations of about $25,000 from the public to help fund the initiative.

Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon said the sheriff's "made-for-TV stunts" violate the civil rights of those who are illegally in the United States. Gordon said "Those who are here illegally have legal rights. It's as simple as that."

Under the U.S. Constitution, all citizens must be treated equally under the law and the government cannot conduct unreasonable searches and seizures without probable cause.

Mayor Gordon sent a letter to the U.S. Attorney General calling for an investigation into Sheriff Arpaio's apprehension of those who are illegally in the United States.

U.S. Justice Department officials are "monitoring the situation," department spokeswoman Jamie Hais said. She declined to be more specific.

In the absence of federal action, states and localities are beginning to take action.

Arpaio has vowed to continue measures designed to stem the flow of illegal immigrants.

"They just don't want me enforcing the illegal immigration laws. They think they can intimidate me. They can't," said Arpaio.

Mayor Gordon said Sheriff Arpaio should spend his time pursuing other crimes, instead of apprehending those who are illegally in the United States. Gordon says the sheriff is sparking fear among illegal immigrants.

"His Band-Aid publicity stunts aren't going to solve illegal immigration," he said. "It doesn't do anything to stop the flow."
    Click here for the full story.
    "Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is SUCCESS." -- Henry Ford

Re: Arizona sheriff apprehends illegals: Sparks controversy

[quote=News Flash]Arizona sheriff apprehends illegals: Sparks controversy
    Quote Originally Posted by "David Schwartz, Reuters":3g5jizgt
    PHOENIX - Frustrated by a steady flow of illegal Mexican immigrants into Arizona, Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio has decided have deputies apprehend illegal immigrants.

Now he faces an onslaught of criticism from Hispanic activists who say that illegal immigrants should be free from police persecution.

"What right does anyone have to tell me what my priorities are?" Arpaio said in a recent interview. "I'm the elected sheriff."

Across the country, state and local officials have taken steps to curb illegal immigration. More than 240 immigration-related measures were passed last year.

Arpaio says he has received an outpouring of support for his effort in the form of letters and donations of about $25,000 from the public to help fund the initiative.

Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon said the sheriff's "made-for-TV stunts" violate the civil rights of those who are illegally in the United States. Gordon said "Those who are here illegally have legal rights. It's as simple as that."

Under the U.S. Constitution, all citizens must be treated equally under the law and the government cannot conduct unreasonable searches and seizures without probable cause.

Mayor Gordon sent a letter to the U.S. Attorney General calling for an investigation into Sheriff Arpaio's apprehension of those who are illegally in the United States.

U.S. Justice Department officials are "monitoring the situation," department spokeswoman Jamie Hais said. She declined to be more specific.

In the absence of federal action, states and localities are beginning to take action.

Arpaio has vowed to continue measures designed to stem the flow of illegal immigrants.

"They just don't want me enforcing the illegal immigration laws. They think they can intimidate me. They can't," said Arpaio.

Mayor Gordon said Sheriff Arpaio should spend his time pursuing other crimes, instead of apprehending those who are illegally in the United States. Gordon says the sheriff is sparking fear among illegal immigrants.

"His Band-Aid publicity stunts aren't going to solve illegal immigration," he said. "It doesn't do anything to stop the flow."
    Click here for the full story.[/quote:3g5jizgt]

Mayor Phil, They are NOT CITIZENS..... You sir are a Moron!!!! Sheriff Joe does many amazing things.. Everyone reading this, do yourselves a favor and Google him.