Tom Lyons on Chief Deputy Larry Dunklee's harassment case
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Senior Member LEO Affairs Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Lyons, Herald-Tribune
    Though I had been aware of the sexual harassment complaint made against Chief Deputy Deputy Larry Dunklee years before he became a candidate for sheriff, a Herald-Tribune report on Friday told part of the story I didn't know.

It might be the part that now matters most.

As the story said, eight years ago, four women who worked at the Sheriff's Office told internal investigators about on-the-job behaviors by Dunklee, a sergeant at the time, that creeped them out.

One told of an unwanted kiss; others said he had pressed up against them or frequently touched his own crotch when they were in the room.

Only one woman made a formal complaint. Dunklee's superiors first gave him a chance to apologize to her and end the matter without any sort of investigation that could stain his record.

Dunklee explained to his superiors that touching himself was a nervous habit he picked up as a kid, and said his mother had once sought medical advice to help him stop.

That claim might seem like a joke-worthy excuse, and it is unusual from someone seeking election to a major management position.

But it could well be true. There are all sorts of socially awkward nervous tics.

Many people take medications that either help control them or, in some cases, cause them as an unwanted side-effect.

But as the story on Friday reported, when then-Sgt. Dunklee met with the woman to give the required apology, he royally botched it.

He told her she shouldn't have been looking at the part of his body he had been touching, and scolded her for embarrassing him.

What a human resource director's nightmare. You'd expect more sense from even the lowest-level rookie with no hint of management potential.

Dunklee's blockheaded words forced the internal affairs investigation he had almost dodged.

That's when the other women came forward. And as the news story explained, IA investigators concluded Dunklee's nervous habit explanation was plausible. He was reprimanded for being discourteous.

Dunklee hasn't returned my call, but he has complained publicly in the last few days that bringing up this topic now "is political."

Well, duh. Of course it is political. He's seeking a political office.

And as you'd expect, a woman who felt sexually harassed doesn't want Dunklee to get the job.

But maybe Dunklee has learned a thing or two.

This time he didn't accuse anyone of looking where she shouldn't.

Tom Lyons can be contacted at tom.lyons@heraldtribune.com or (941) 361-4964.
    Source
    "Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is SUCCESS." -- Henry Ford

FINISHED

Come on Larry, save what little reputation the Sarasota Sheriff's Office has and resign. Stop thinking about yourself and think of us. You really are not fit to be a deputy, no less Sheriff and everywhere I went in uniform the past two days, residents a laughing at us, because of YOU.

ITS EMBARRASSING, AND THERE IS ZERO CHANCE OF YOU BEING ELECTED. JUST TALK TO THE PEOPLE, NOT YOUR CAMPAIGN STAFF.

Please do the right thing and resign.

so true

dude, you are right. i must have had 20 residents ask me about the dunklee story and most just shook their heads. it is bad!

i dont know how the man can walk into a room know. like everyone knows you touch yourself and its a medical condition? RIGHT! everyone knows FOUR woman complained of sexual harrassment and its their fault? RIGHT!

You know what I tell people on the road, let your displeasure with the article show at the election booth. he's a sick man and needs help.

Sheriff please help us. Where is my paper sack? The shame, the shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Man up and leave
    Sheriff please help us. Where is my paper sack? The shame, the shame.

Dunklee will never get elected. The public is the people that put the Sheriff in Office, not the employees (which we all learned in the Balkwill/Pilon campaign.) The last couple of articles in the paper have sunk Dunk's ship. It is time now to bail out of the race to save face. Sorry Mottola, Wilson, Keifer 1 and 2 - your man doesn't stand a chance.

Lets see, Dunklee doesnt get along with:

Tom Lyons
    Tom Knight
    Dave Gustafson
    The SHT
    Balkwill
    County Commission
    ....and more

Why would I even think about trying to vote for him?

20 people asked me 2

20 people also asked me about it. most said they expected to see this sort of crap in the paper and are betting on stuff on the other candiates (week before last it was the BS helicopter story). Anyone familiar with HR knows that compalints can be made for various reasons, some that may seem insignificant to some, a big deal to others... it's all part of people working with people.

if you really are that proud of your agency and don't want us drug thru the mud more than already...then cut out the mud slinging...stand up and tell people what a great agency we have, with many great people. Your negativity towards this election is only making you and the agency looked upon poorly. When people ask you about it, tell them the truth... its old news & case closed. People will vote for who they want to vote for...don't need any of us airing any more crap.

Stop drinking the kool aid.

I poop alot and scratch my balls and nobody complains. One time I farted in front of a female co-worker. Not only did it part her hair, it burned the hair in her nose. She shrugged and lauged. I guess my luck was better than LD's. I really should file a harassment case myself, because some of these S.O. babes come on to me and stick their beauty in my face, have such nice tight butt's in uniform. I can't stand it, I'm going to complain.
    I'm going to ruin their careers while I'm at it.

It's so easy to de-rail a career. Think about it.

what about....

If this is just a case of a medical problem or tight spaces then I think the red headed jail Lt. and the English jail Sgt. should get their job's back. What about the patrol guy who had a "Monica" in the back seat of his car behind the Scoreboard and was arrested. Or what about the patrol Sgt. who had a rubber band wrapped tightly on his "little dunk". Come on back guys. What's good for the Chief is good for you too!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast