Best small towns near Denver - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Best small towns near Denver

Thank you very much for the quick reply.

One more question: How is the retirement set up out there? My department is 20 years and out at 70% of your highest 3 years of pay (of course you can stay until 25 at 88%). We pay 8% and the city matches it.

Most departments pay into a 401K or similar investment based account. You're vested after 5 years and have the flexibility of moving your money around however you see fit. My department pays in 11%, we're required to pay in at least an additional 7%, but can pay in more if we choose. You can pretty much set your own age to retire, as the money you'll be drawing from is yours, and not held in a city or state controlled retirement account. Hope this helps.

Thanks again Britcop for the info. I would like to speak (via the phone or e-mail) with you and gather some more info. about the area and your department since you are from Florida law enforcement. Is this possible?

Sure thing. My cell is (970) 217-5919, it's a department cell phone, so if I don't pick up leave me a message and a call back number and I'll get back to you.

Mike

Britcop (Mike),

Not sure if you still monitor this forum as I see it's been awhile since your last post but I want to thank you for the informative contributions that you have made in the Colorado section of this forum. The information that you have provided has been very helpful. I am a Hillsborough County Deputy currently seeking employment in Colorado. My wife found out recently that she is getting transferred out there. She is in sales and will be assigned a territory that runs from Denver north to Fort Collins. I am currently going through the application process with the Boulder P.D. I have testing/interviewing scheduled for August 23. I have been continually checking the surrounding areas for employment opportunities and I also submitted an application pkg to the Larimer County Sheriff's Office as well (not currently hiring). I am looking to relocate as soon as possible. Do you know if your Department is going to be starting up a hiring process in the very near future? How do the Colorado Departments look upon lateral transfers from Florida? Do we have an advantage based on our experience or do they prefer to hire in-state applicants. Thank you for your advice.

I don't believe we're hiring at the moment, but you may want to check with Fort Collins, they're a great agency too and will start you out at a higher step as a lateral. Having worked for Hillsborough County myself for 5 years (X-Ray 13 in District 1 for the last 3 years), I would just warn you that Boulder is a VERY liberal city to work in and would be a complete culture shock for you after moving from Tampa. Every year 0n 4/20 they have a big pro-marijuana rally where all the hippies and college kids invade the city and smoke pot openly. The city turns a blind eye (if not, encourages it) and it seems to me that the P.D. was neutered years ago. Not the kind of place I'd want to work....way to touchy feely! Other good departments to look in to would be Longmont (no take home cars, but good pay) and Aurora (a suburb of Denver, has about 900 officers and is more like what you'd be use to coming from Hillsborough) but again, no take home car. Laterals are highly regarded out this way, and Florida officers have a good rep. so I don't think you'll have any trouble finding somewhere decent to work. If you think of anything else, shoot me a message.

Mike Braband

Mike,
    I've heard that Boulder is very liberal with a lot of hippies. I'll get to see for myself next weekend because I'll be out there for testing/interviewing with the PD. There really aren't any other departments in the Denver Metro area that are hiring right now unfortunately. I'm working with the Colorado POST to obtain my provisional certification now and then I'll probably try to get into the two-day test out that's scheduled in November to obtain my full certification. I'm concerned with the arrest control skills portion of the practical exam. You have to choose one of four disciplines (PPCT, KOGA, FBI, or NOVA) to use during the test. The FBI method seems to be the closest to what I was taught in the academy, but if it varies from the way they teach it out there I'm worried that I will be failed on that portion. There's one block that I wasn't even taught here in Florida and that is a high risk search in the prone position. We never did any searches in the prone position. Can you offer any insight on this?

I would prefer to work for a smaller department if possible, HIllsborough is too big, too busy, and too short-handed. I really can't enjoy doing the things that I got into law enforcement to do because I'm getting dispatched to call after call all night. How does law enforcement out there differ from Florida? Do you have more time to be proactive? How about the morale? Morale at HIllsborough is pretty bad and there really isn't any teamwork within the squads, everyone pretty much does their own thing and looks out for themselves. What brought you to Colorado? Do you like it out there? I'm really looking forward to getting out of this heat and humidity.

Thanks again for the info...

Morale varies by department, but I think you'll find you can be far more proactive here than in Tampa. Boulder is EXTREMELY liberal, for that reason I don't think I could ever work there and be happy, although it is a beautiful city. Don't stress about the defensife tactics stuff, and yes, the FBI method fits more closely with Hillsborough's DT than does any of the others. The evaluators are all cops from different agencies and they understand that most departments do things a little differently from one another. Feel free to call me on my department cell phone and I'll be happy to answer any other questions or concerns you may have. If I don't pick up, leave a number and I'll call you back.

Mike (970) 217-5919

Britcop,
    From another s. fl cop looking to move out west (CO, ID, UT), Your the man for getting on here and answering all these questions. I have no real question because you already answered them. One thing I've noticed is that some dept. don't pay into social security, does yours? Also, I've been online looking at every dept. out there and notice that the pensions don't appear to be very good (401 types) and the take home car situation doesn't really exist, with exception. My one real question is; The Firefighter have the state pension that is defined benefit, do you see or hear anything about the police trying to move to a defined benefit pension and are most dept. trying to get take homes for their guys?

Hey Palm Beach, you are correct, most departments out this way do not have a defined pension plan like Florida. You have to be pretty disciplined and contribute according to your anticipated retirement needs. Loveland pays in 11% of my salary towards retirement, and I'm required to pay in an additional 7%, therefore a combined 18% goes in every paycheck. I can pay in more if I wish, and many do. You're vested after 5 years, no plans that I've heard of to go to a defined plan. You are also correct that most agencies do not withhold S.S., therefore you can take the amount that you would normally pay in to S.S. and add that to your individual retirement contribution. There are agencies that have take home cars, many of the sheriff's departments do, the state patrol does, so too does Loveland and Ft Collins. Loveland just announced an open police officer position, check out the requirements on the website. Loveland's a good agency with take home cars and is nationally accredited. We work 4 10 hour shifts with 3 days off and shift bid twice a year. The area is a great area to raise family, with enough activity to still make the job fun. If you decide to apply, feel free to use my name, Mike Braband, as the person who referred you. Loveland will start you out at a higher step as a lateral. I hit $70,000 after 2 1/2 years with the department as a lateral. Good luck.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast