Recruiting at the Anchorage Police Department

Recruiting at the Anchorage Police Department

new link: http://www.muni.org/apd1/jobs.cfm

Good information at this site about Anchorage and the job

Starting pay August 1, 2008 is now $56,200

Recruitment

Just how cold are your winters up there? I have 20 years on the job and make only about 70k/yr. You have a beautiful state up there! Do you get paid while attending the academy?

Florida cop.

I'm looking to make the move from Central Florida also...Check out AST..,Alaska State Troopers... the have a pretty sweet lateral gig goin on..

Being born and raised in Alaska (and having just finished the hiring process for APD) I can say that I am very fortunate to have grown up in such a beautiful state.

Keep in mind that Anchorage is in the southcentral region of Alaska. Right now, a typical winter will have a couple of 1-week long cold spells, usually in January and February, inw hich the temps will dip to about -20. But it warms up again real quick. In July, the temp can get as high as the mid-70s (although typically it hovers in the mid to high 60s).

In thw winter, Anchorage experiences only about 4.5 hours of functional daylight, whereas in the summetime, we have 24 hours of functional daylight (although headlights may still be required at 1 or 2 in the morning.)

If you love the outdoors, there is plenty to do in the summer and winter. Summer activities consist of hiking, biking, hunting, and fishing just to name a few. In the winter, activities inclue snowmobiling (my personal favorite), skiing, snowboarding, sledding, etc. So as long as you like the outdoors, there will be plenty to do.

Check out the lateral program APD offers.