New Contract Cola's - Page 2
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: 2009 CBA

[quote=NuKar]
    Quote Originally Posted by This just in
    Quote Originally Posted by "COLA rates '09, '10, '11":1ue9bjzq
    My understanding is PBA will submit a 1.5% COLA for Jan 1, followed by a 1.5% for Apr 1 for 2009, 2010, and 2011. Sorry folks.

Gas deductions will be $35 per pay for 2009, $40 per pay for 2010, $45 per pay for 2011. If you don't use 10-118, no deductions.

:cop: :cop: :cop: :cop:
    Meaning, since all those who live out of county don't drive 10-118, they're not going to have further increases like everyone else?[/quote:1ue9bjzq]

No, meaning, if you live outside the county, unless in an on-call status or unit, you park your assigned car at your district and drive from your district to your home using your personal car. Thus, no 10-118, so no deduction. Period. Get it?

Quote Originally Posted by Care
    Don't worry........................ the sheriff will take care of us the best he can.

Oh course. But, this is taking care of us, because it is a measure to avoid losing the off duty use of vehicles and off setting the budget crisis. He has to be able to throw a bone.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous

No, meaning, if you live outside the county, unless in an on-call status or unit, you park your assigned car at your district and drive from your district to your home using your personal car. Thus, no 10-118, so no deduction. Period. Get it?
    the problem is... all sworn are on call... every hurricane.. 10-100.. Every hurricane our patrol cars go through tires. Debris all over the road. You think im going to spend hundreds on tire replacement coming to work in my personal vehicle and getting flat tires?.. they better send the deuce and a half my direction.

When the Deputies Wallace and Manuel died in the line of duty. I received a call in the middle of the night and was asked to come in because of how short road patrol was. did i mind? no way, but still, all sworn are on call. just read the policy when we are 10-100

We some of us forced to move out of county? well... when the beginning pay at this job didnt even get you a home on South O street in lake worth when some got hired during the housing peak... yes... some had no other option.

the problem is... all sworn are on call... every hurricane.. 10-100.. Every hurricane our patrol cars go through tires. Debris all over the road. You think im going to spend hundreds on tire replacement coming to work in my personal vehicle and getting flat tires?.. they better send the deuce and a half my direction.

When the Deputies Wallace and Manuel died in the line of duty. I received a call in the middle of the night and was asked to come in because of how short road patrol was. did i mind? no way, but still, all sworn are on call. just read the policy when we are 10-100

We some of us forced to move out of county? well... when the beginning pay at this job didnt even get you a home on South O street in lake worth when some got hired during the housing peak... yes... some had no other option.
    You are not being realistic. Gas is on the rise. This means that eventually there may be no choice but to raise the gas deduction slighty and limit the number of vehicles outside the county. Most agencies across the state and the country do not have a take home car program or one that you can take outside the countyline. So I am sorry but if that becomes a policy it is a reasonable one considering that most do not live out of county.

Or if you live outside the county your deduction could be $200 a month and employees who live within the county keep the same deduction or slightly higher than what we have now. Maybe $60 a month. Still at $200 a month you guys that have no car will still get a great deal since that is much cheaper than a car payment, gas payment, insurance payment, maintainence payments, etc.

Being in an on call status is in a unit where you are on a schedule for call outs. Other than that being a LEO means you are emergency essential position by definition which has nothing to do with justifying 30,000 to 35,000 miles per year IF gas prices go to 5 or more a gallon.

I don't want to pay $200 a month gas deduction because you drive an hour and half twice a day to work.

I have an '07 CV which had 40 miles on it when they gave it to me in October. I had an oil change today - my fifth because the car has over 20 thousand miles on it! ALL OF WHICH ARE FROM WORKING - I HARDLY EVER, IF NEVER USE MY CAR OFF DUTY!!! Don't run your mouth talking about people putting 100k on a car in three years, because I am going to do it in far less time. When I am 10-8, I WORK! and do not sit and hide some where like the vast majority of mooks on the road. 2 man unit? That is not needed. It is a major waste of man power. There is no need for 2 deputies on most calls, and just ties up a second person for nothing.

PBA CBA 2009-2011

Quote Originally Posted by excuse me?
    I have an '07 CV which had 40 miles on it when they gave it to me in October. I had an oil change today - my fifth because the car has over 20 thousand miles on it! ALL OF WHICH ARE FROM WORKING - I HARDLY EVER, IF NEVER USE MY CAR OFF DUTY!!! Don't run your mouth talking about people putting 100k on a car in three years, because I am going to do it in far less time. When I am 10-8, I WORK! and do not sit and hide some where like the vast majority of mooks on the road. 2 man unit? That is STUPID and not needed. It is a major waste of man power. There is no need for 2 deputies on most calls, and just ties up a second person for nothing.
    Read the previous posting below again. The drive to and from work is NOT considered 10-8 on duty time. When you are driving to work an hour and half plus before and after your shift you are not in CADS and therefore not being paid and therefore NOT considered 10-8 on duty. If you think it does I can have you talk to a lot of deputies who got in a crash on the way to work and it was NOT a workers comp but rather their personal and the at fault other dirver's insurance that covered them. Yes the agency allowed them to be on light and alternate duty but it is NOT by statute a worker's comp claim. So that leads to the drive to and from work over an hour and a half plus away (yes it is 90 minutes if you drive the speed limit to PSL) and even more to Hope Sound.

So if you drive 20,000 miles just in PBC alone plus the thousands of added miles driving to and from Hope Sound off duty (as I said driving to and from work is 10-118 time whether you want to accept that fact or not) then I should not pay for that. IF and only IF gas goes above $5 a gal then it is only fair that YOU pay a higher reasonable deduction than me. Because I drive LESS miles to and from work because I live 10 minutes away and because if I see something or a priority 0 call goes I have to respond. YOU don't have to do a thing other than maybe use a cell phone to dial *FHP and can't do a thing outside the countyline. So stop with the "excuse me?.

IF gas prices don't stop the line HAS to be drawn reasonably. Paying your share to off set the costs is fair and just.

You are not being realistic. Gas is on the rise. This means that eventually there may be no choice but to raise the gas deduction slighty and limit the number of vehicles outside the county. Most agencies across the state and the country do not have a take home car program or one that you can take outside the countyline. So I am sorry but if that becomes a policy it is a reasonable one considering that most do not live out of county.

Or if you live outside the county your deduction could be $200 a month and employees who live within the county keep the same deduction or slightly higher than what we have now. Maybe $60 a month. Still at $200 a month you guys that have no car will still get a great deal since that is much cheaper than a car payment, gas payment, insurance payment, maintainence payments, etc.

Being in an on call status is in a unit where you are on a schedule for call outs. Other than that being a LEO means you are emergency essential position by definition which has nothing to do with justifying 30,000 to 35,000 miles per year IF gas prices go to 5 or more a gallon.

I don't want to pay $200 a month gas deduction because you drive an hour and half twice a day to work.

Say What?

To the above "excue YOU" - you should probably take a look at a map before you post snappy comments here on this highly debated topic ... to begin, Hobe Sound is the closest city north of Jupiter (about 8 miles from the county line), not farther than PSL. And, as PSL is 23.5 miles north of the county line, upon doing a little time/distance calculations, to travel that far in 90 minutes (as you claimed), would put the trip at an average travel speed of only 15.5 mph. Furthermore, traveling north on I-95 from county line at the speed limit (70mph) for 90 minutes, would put you at almost at the Kennedy Space Center exit.

Proclaiming out of county people use much more gas than others is a blanket statment that has yet to be proven true. You sould try using accurate facts when trying to making your point, if you want to be taken seriously on this matter. Besides, I believe it’s been discussed here before … we all agree that those who use the most gas off duty should be the ones subjected to an increase, regardless of where you live.

Forced to cut, West Palm Beach parks its take-home cars
    Click-2-Listen
    By THOMAS R. COLLINS

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Friday, May 30, 2008

WEST PALM BEACH — The era of the daily, 100-mile round-trip commute, at the expense of city taxpayers, is coming to an end.

Starting June 1, the city is telling about 80 employees outside the police and fire departments that they have to use their own cars to commute to and from work.

The change to the city's take-home-car policy comes in response to last year's critical report by the city's internal auditor's office and to save cash during tight budget times.

"I love it," Commissioner Jeri Muoio said. "I think it's something we had to do."

The report found that dozens of employees other than police officers logged far more miles commuting in their city-issued cars than they did doing actual city business.

The commutes were from as far away as Port St. Lucie and Coral Springs. The longest was a 162-mile daily journey to and from Vero Beach by a fire department official who logged 99 percent of his car's miles in commutes.

All told, 54 percent of the miles put on all take-home cars, including police cars, were logged during commutes.

That will now change.

After negotiations between the city and the union, police officers will still be allowed to take their cars home if they live in the city limits because it's considered a crime deterrent. Those living outside the city will have to pay the city for gas, having between $10 and $50 a week taken out of their paychecks, depending on how far they live from the city. Those living more than 40 miles from city hall won't be able to use a city car for commuting.

The fire union is at an impasse with the city in its negotiations over proposed changes.

The changes are expected to save $658,000 in the first year.

"We're looking to cut costs everywhere we can," Mayor Lois Frankel said.

The response to criticism from the internal auditor is different this time than it was after a report in 1999, in which auditors found that 40 percent of all miles were from commuting and advised administrators to re-assess the take-home policy.

In the eight years after that report, the number of take-home cars outside the police department tripled to 98 - from Chevy Luminas to gas-guzzling Ford Explorers.

Commissioner Bill Moss said the budget forced the city's hand to change its practices.

"Some people, I'm sure, won't like it," he said. "But when we're trying to protect jobs and services, it's necessary."
    http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localne...ehomecars.html

If that same policy came over to PBSO, a 40 mile radius north of the county spans all the way to almost Ft. Pierce. ??

Re: Guest

Quote Originally Posted by NuKar
    If that same policy came over to PBSO, a 40 mile radius north of the county spans all the way to almost Ft. Pierce. ??
    Actually, it wouldn't be that far north (or south). WPB is calculating 40 miles from the location of City Hall. If PBSO were to implement the policy, I would assume it would be a 40 mile radius from HQ Building. FHP has (or had, depending on who you talk to) the same policy, the circle extended 30 miles from the location of the FHP station the Trooper is assigned to.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast