Applying
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Applying

Applying

Hey guys and gals I'm really new to this board. I'm looking to move back to Florida as an LEO. I applied for Hillsborough, Tampa PD and FL state trooper. Which do u guys think is best. I read A LOT of negative feedback on FL state trooper, but I like what I hear from HCSO and Tampa PD. Im a certified LEO in Florida since I did the equivalency and passed the test on 10/04. Im also an officer here in Jersey. My question is which would u prefer? and if I have to go through the equivalency training again? I heard have until the four year break wich for me would be in 12/08. Thanks for ur help.

Don't do it

Ok first off take a job at Walmart as an L.P. before you become a Trooper, I can say that as I use to be one. You will have for cases there then as a Trooper. I now work for PCSO. I love it, however it will be hard to get in with Pinellas because of the fact that tax cuts have cut our budget and we are on a hiring freeze. Last I herd and maby a HCSO guy or girl could clarify, Hillsborough is hiring certified Deputies. My friend at TPD told me that they are hiring. However only the best since they don't need a lot of help. I personaly think TPD pay and benifits are better. If you don't have any luck with HCSO or TPD then try St. Petersburg Police Department, although they have some issues. Ok a lot of issues. Good luck in your journey. Please please don't let the FHP lure you in with we are the "Elite" bull crap. You will have to work so much SOAR or overtime to pay your bills. Talking to another friend at the FHP they are sending almost all new hires to the Miami area. Also with FHP you will have to go to their academy.

TPD

TPD

As a leo for hcso I will try to give you the good and bad. First, we recently voted out the union and received a nice pay scale competitive with tpd. The agency is huge and we have a lot of oppurtunities to go and do other things within the agency ( if you know the right people). The sheriff is a good guy but in my opnion needs to clean house as far as his administration which doesnt really think about the morale of the office when making decisions. We work 12 hours shift and most the time you are going from call to call with little backup. Hillsborough county is a dangerous place but you can t beat the action. I personally love the office but as in all places it could be improved. Good luck and dont let the tpd lovers try to tell you its better because the recent pay scale has made us competittive. Oh and by the way you will have to go through a full academy again with us even if you are certified in florida. Start doing pushups and pullups because most fail the physical part of the academy.

true

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    As a leo for hcso I will try to give you the good and bad. First, we recently voted out the union and received a nice pay scale competitive with tpd. The agency is huge and we have a lot of oppurtunities to go and do other things within the agency ( if you know the right people). The sheriff is a good guy but in my opnion needs to clean house as far as his administration which doesnt really think about the morale of the office when making decisions. We work 12 hours shift and most the time you are going from call to call with little backup. Hillsborough county is a dangerous place but you can t beat the action. I personally love the office but as in all places it could be improved. Good luck and dont let the tpd lovers try to tell you its better because the recent pay scale has made us competittive. Oh and by the way you will have to go through a full academy again with us even if you are certified in florida. Start doing pushups and pullups because most fail the physical part of the academy.
    That about sums it up. Good accurate post my friend.

Re: true

That about sums it up. Good accurate post my friend.
    With us you also have to live at a 2 week boot camp. Away from your family. Or as some call it brain wash 1 0 1. Also No smoking have to be clean 6 months. Any tatoos have to be non visible in uniform.

Good luck getting past the psych, the doctor is a quack.

Applying

Thanx for all the input. One more question. What areas do u guys recommend to lice in Hillsborough. Is Ruskin nice? Apollo Beach..sorry guys Im not too familiar with the area..thanx in advance and good luck to all!

Re: Applying

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Cop
    Thanx for all the input. One more question. What areas do u guys recommend to lice in Hillsborough. Is Ruskin nice? Apollo Beach..sorry guys Im not too familiar with the area..thanx in advance and good luck to all!
    One thing you'll find about Florida is that there aren't many defined nice areas. You'll have a great neighborhood surrounded by a ghetto, and a lousy neighborhood with one section that is nice, etc. Neighborhoods change sometimes overnight and the old "other side of the railroad tracks" rule of thumb doesn't seem to work down here. It's very tough to find a place that suits your personality and I would heartily recommend renting initially as you don't want to buy a house and be stuck with it in this market.

Having said that, Apollo Beach and Ruskin both have nice areas. Apollo Beach is a little more expensive and oriented around the aquatic lifestyle, Ruskin is more of a farming style community with a nice golf course community.

Riverview and Brandon have a younger population, which can be good or bad depending on your preference. Plant City has a great neighborhood (Walden Lake), but even it is fairly close to some fairly active gangs. Lithia is nice but it is a pretty good hike away from everything except the range.

If you tell me what you're looking for / your demographics (age, married, kids, etc.) / price range I can give you some specific pointers.

In other words, the county commission has littered the county with section 8 which has made several communities with past nice surroundings to be filled with shitzz bags from the hood. Look no farther than brandon to make my point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast